• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Geraint's run out and the spirit of the game

Were Australia right to run out Geraint?

• Total voters

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Don't have a problem with either, and can see why people would have a problem with the Murali far more than this one.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Haha, yeah, nice try but no cigar, Neil. I didn't think NZ were beyond the pale in executing the runout against Murali (I forgot to vote, but my position should be obvious from my post), but the situations aren't really equivalent.

I would have thought a better example was the one I gave in the original Murali thread from the other day's Ashes play - where Gilchrist rolled the ball at the stumps after KP left the crease to talk to his partner while the ball was still live. He (Gilchrist) missed, but you'd have to assume that given he tried, he certainly would have appealed for the run-out.
FWIW i think Gilchrist deliberately missed the stumps in that situation, then told KP he'd hit them if they did it again.

In this situation, brilliant thinking by Ponting.

maybe he got the idea from Old Trafford last year when Glenn McGrath was standing outside his crease on the final evening and Gojo missed the stumps.

Anyway, anything that brings the idiots international career to a close sooner can't be bad, but i still expect him to see out the series, after all he's on the selection panel.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dasa said:
Pretty poor thread from such a member IMO. Just ****-stirring.

The situations aren't really comparable either - one was going to congratulate a team-mate on a century and (incorrectly) assumed the ball wasn't alive, while this was when the player was waiting for a decision and the ball was clearly in play. Very different situations.

Anyway, I have the same view I had of the Murali run-out. I can see why the Aussies did it and I can understand international players wanting to get wickets any way they can, but it's not something I would do.

Someone's had a sense of humour bypass.

cameeel

International Captain
I voted No in the Murali thread, but yes in this one. As has been said, Jones was batting out of crease and was too stupid to put his foot back behind the line - and thus was run out.

R_D

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Someone's had a sense of humour bypass.
hehehe thats pretty funny coming from you.

certainly seems like a little attempt at stirring nothing more.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The difference is Geraint's crap, and should never have played test cricket... ever. In cases like these, Ponting did the spirit of cricket a favour by running out Geraint, because it was made even more clear to the world that he's useless.

I reckon Ponting should get an OBE or whatever the English got for winning the Ashes, for his run out.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Jono said:
The difference is Geraint's crap, and should never have played test cricket... ever. In cases like these, Ponting did the spirit of cricket a favour by running out Geraint, because it was made even more clear to the world that he's useless.

I reckon Ponting should get an OBE or whatever the English got for winning the Ashes, for his run out.
He should only get the MBE if Geraint gets dropped, though. For services to English cricket.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well if Geraint plays again, then Duncan should be burnt on a stake like witches were back in the old days.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Haha, it's not like Read's going to do any better. 90000 Australians screaming at the MCG with Warne bowling to him. He'll last the best part of 10 balls.

JF.

School Boy/Girl Captain
Just so you all know, my stance is exactly the same here as it was in the other thread. If you are out of your crease when the ball is live, and you get run out, it's your own fault.
End of story.