• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gentlemen cricketers

Linda

International Vice-Captain
The Argonaut said:
It's pretty easy to write the team off as a whole but most of them are neither here nor there when it comes to this sort of thing. You shouldn't get penalised for playing aggressive cricket. When guys like McGrath and Lehmann go over the line then sure bag them. Guys like Gilchrist, Kasporwicz and Martyn shouldn't be brought down through association.
Amen to that! :D

I would think the majority of cricketers are "gentlemen" and there are just a few who are not so, just like everyday people.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
nookie_lk said:
no way man....tendulkar and dravid are repected as very well behaved cricketers...i dont remember one incident where any one of them have misbehaved ??? do u ??? specially ball tampering
Erm, haven't they both been pulled up for that recently?

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
FRAZ said:
How could Srinath be a bad guy . He was just a medium pacer. And most medium pacers are like that . So if if he pretended to be a gentleman , so what , not a big deal.
Wasn't he saying that Srinath is a good guy, ie a gentleman?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Scallywag said:
What about when he plays Zimbabwe. Ganguly was found to be guilty of showing dissent, attempting to intimidate the umpires, and bringing the game into disrepute. I believe he got banned for this lot.

Nope, mate, that was against SA and a lot of people agreed that he was wrongly pulled up for that. The Indians did appeal excessively, but to fine Ganguly and say that it was his responsibility to control his side from appealing was a bit funny. What was he supposed to do? Apply stickers to his players' mouths?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FRAZ said:
How could Srinath be a bad guy . He was just a medium pacer. And most medium pacers are like that . So if if he pretended to be a gentleman , so what , not a big deal.
Srinath, a medium-pacer?
Did you ever see him bowl in front of a speed-gun?
There were games in WC99 (those are the only occasions I saw, but I'm sure there were others in the next year or so) where he was clocking 93mph.
That is most certainly very fast!

Langeveldt

Soutie
TBH guys like Kasprowicz, Gilchrist are being pulled down as being "ungentelmanly" because some of the guys they play with step over the line.. Aussies shouldn't all be labelled as sledgers, just the shockers like Hughes, Hogg and McGrath..

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FRAZ said:

Sorry? Srinath's not a bad guy cause he's a medium-pacer? Well, there's a concrete case for gentlemanly behaviour if ever I've heard one.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Son Of Coco said:
Sorry? Srinath's not a bad guy cause he's a medium-pacer? Well, there's a concrete case for gentlemanly behaviour if ever I've heard one.
Bowled really quickly today.. Absolutely snorting, got a bloody Aussie out as well which is worth 10 wickets in my book..

Sorry for the loutish behaviour :)

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langeveldt said:
Bowled really quickly today.. Absolutely snorting, got a bloody Aussie out as well which is worth 10 wickets in my book..

Sorry for the loutish behaviour :)
haha, that's ok mate.......as long as you're not a medium pacer, in which case you couldn't possibly be accused of such behaviour in the first place! :huh:

Langeveldt

Soutie
I guess my man Allan Donald was the most gentlemanly guy imaginable off the field, but some of his on field displays would cause disagreement (rightly!) among you guys!

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Scallywag said:
Tendulkar and Dravid are both ball tamperers and are no way gentlemen.
Look, if you actually looked at the incident, you wouldn't say that ..

The act for which Tendulkar was reported, cleaning the seam with his fingers (which btw had very short nails, as could be seen in the footage) .. the very same thing was repeated by Shane Warne a few months/weeks later, only difference he approached the umpire and did it in-front of him, as he was aware of Tendulkar incident.. That is perfectly acceptable practice, you can't expect bowlers to bowl with mud on the seams.. Just that with new ICC rules, you gotta go to umpires etc.. Cameras hv a way of distorting the view, to what actually happened..

And for one such incident (which was totally not his fault IMO) u label him ungentleman-like ??

As for Dravid, that was even more ridiculous to label it ball-tampering, every bowler uses spit/sweat to shine the bowl. He was doing the same, but by chance the lolly in his mouth came out and got stuck to the ball. Now how the hell is that ball tampering, and even if it is, its accidental. He was merely trying to remove it from ball, which was what the cameras reported..

So you are absolutely wrong in labeling them ball-tamperers..

Ball Tampering is what Akram did in early 90's with a bottle cap (if I think I remember correctly, I didn't watch that, just heard abt it)

delkap

State Vice-Captain
Dasa said:
^I thought it was Imran who admitted doing that?
Well, as I said I am not a 100% sure who was it.. I heard abt it.. and as far as I can remember it was Akram.. Maybe Imran, I am not sure.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
I guess my man Allan Donald was the most gentlemanly guy imaginable off the field, but some of his on field displays would cause disagreement (rightly!) among you guys!
Put it this way, there was nothing gentlemanly about the way he was wound-up by the turned-down caught-behind then inside-edged four by Atherton at Trent Bridge in 1998.
Still made for one of the most thrilling passages of cricket I've ever seen, though, coming in the match-situation it did.

Scallywag

Banned
delkap said:
So you are absolutely wrong in labeling them ball-tamperers..

)
They were charged and convicted and punished for ball tampering by the ICC which means that they are ball tamperers and you are absolutely wrong.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Thanks for that, Sehwag309.

Scallywag said:
They were charged and convicted and punished for ball tampering by the ICC which means that they are ball tamperers and you are absolutely wrong.
Would you agree Warne is a drug cheat then?

deeps

International 12th Man
it seems to me match fixing is worse than drugs!! 5 years for odumbe, compared to one for warne?