• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gentleman Players

Rebecca

School Boy/Girl Captain
Do you think there ever really was a time of Gentleman Players; panama hats, deck chairs and Pimms...., or has there always been unsporting moments and matches not played in the spirit of the game?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
there could well have been...prior to the commercialization of the sport, there are clearly none now, i am afraid...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well there still is at some levels, certainly at the non-competetive levels in The UK.

At the competetive levels, well, there'd probably be 50 different people who gave you 50 different answers to when the last was. Some would tell you 1969; some would tell you 1946; some would tell you 1932; some would tell you 1891; some would tell you any number of other dates (most of the previous ones were simply random). Some would tell you there really never was at all. Without a time machine, there can be no real answer.

Rebecca

School Boy/Girl Captain
So, in general terms then, would you say that, in competitive levels, it never really existed?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd say we really can't know. We'd need a time-machine to. In no other way can a genuine comparison be made.

Rebecca

School Boy/Girl Captain
Okay!
Can anyone come up with any examples of gentleman-like conduct, or where the 'spirit of the game' was truly played.....in the past, more so than it is now?

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
There is an example of the present where Andrew Flintoff consoled Brett Lee staright after England had squared the series at Edgbaston 2005.

It was later revealed that Flintoff had said to Lee "It's 1-1 now you Aussie *******" which took the gloss of it IMO.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
There is an example of the present where Andrew Flintoff consoled Brett Lee staright after England had squared the series at Edgbaston 2005.

It was later revealed that Flintoff had said to Lee "It's 1-1 now you Aussie *******" which took the gloss of it IMO.
:laugh: I actually did laugh out loud at that.

I kind of like the idea of Fred going "There you go, Brett, you wanker, shove that up your arse!" whilst being hailed as a latter day corinthian.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

WTF? Really?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Would suggest that wasn't exactly the right moment to make a jested comment of that nature, really...

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Hmm, since they were good friends before the incidence and they both seem like guys who could take a joke, I would suggest it wouldn't be so bad. Sometimes when I'm in that situation I hate people being sincere about stuff and consoling you ect.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, there's a YT video where he tells us the events after that moment with Lee.

Will try and find it for you.

Rebecca

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hurry up then...we're all waiting!

Anyway, I really meant in days gone by.... not as current as 2005

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm, since they were good friends before the incidence and they both seem like guys who could take a joke, I would suggest it wouldn't be so bad. Sometimes when I'm in that situation I hate people being sincere about stuff and consoling you ect.
Well I can imagine a great many instances where even the closest of friends could easily take that sort of thing the wrong way in circumstances as taut as that (we're talking about a finish as close as just about any in cricket history), but I guess we can fairly safely assume Lee took it well, and no harm was done.

But I'm truly amazed Flintoff really would go there.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
or has there always been unsporting moments and matches not played in the spirit of the game?

Without a doubt there was many controversial games and situations way back in the deep and distant past.

Its not a new development. The history of intimidatory bowling, illegal actions, match fixing etc is alive with examples during the 19th Century and after.