• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gayle for Pollard - good deal?

The_roc

U19 Captain
I see that Somerset have signed Cris Gayle for the domestic T20 because Pollard will be playing for West Indies.

Good deal or bad deal for Somerset.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Don't think someone like Gayle is needed tbh, obviously he's a gun player and all that but I reckon they probably should have gone for a fast bowler. So who's going to open out of Gayle, Tres and Kieswetter?

As regards to the question I'm not entirely shaw to be honest. Gayle more dangerous with the bat, Pollard more useful with the ball.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Well we don't know how much it cost them so it's hard to say if it's much of a "deal". But Gayle is perhaps the best T20 cricketer in the world, while Pollard is a criminally overrated hack.

Jacknife

International Captain
Even as Yorkshire fan. I'd love to see Gayle and Tres opening, much better player than Pollard, who I thought was poor for them.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
This should be in the domestic season thread really.

That said I don't think you can really get a much better signing for a T20 comp than Chris Gayle providing his head is in the right place for it. Presumably Alfonso Thomas will still be around and they have Lewis Gregory who has show excellent potential at the death, if they keep Van Der Merwe then I think they are better off having another quality spinner for T20. Actually I hope Somerset win one of the OD comps next year (if Lancs can't do the treble), but for the like of Gregory and Buttler that they are bringing through rather than the money they spend.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chris Gayle, by a country mile, better bat, better bowler, just better. Allows Buttler to come in further down the order to finish too, along with Trego, much better look to it.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pollards a better T20 bowler imo. But Gayle is an absolute monster with the bat in the format, clearly ahead of KP.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Great move by Somerset, will really push them to the top of the T20 competition again.

Tres and Gayle opening, CK at 3, that's a pretty strong batting order.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Pollard is a decent batsman, a decent bowler and a quality fieldsman.
Gayle is an excellent batsman, a useful bowler and the coolest guy on the field. Gayle by a country mile.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As Howe said, it depends on the difference in price, but as Pollard is generally over-rated I imagine the price difference wouldn't have been much.

Gayle's the best T20 player in the world bar none though - certainly better than Pollard (who is no doubt awesome at domestic T20 himself) so it's probably never going to be a bad deal unless they'd had to lose half their squad to get him there.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
As Howe said, it depends on the difference in price, but as Pollard is generally over-rated I imagine the price difference wouldn't have been much.

Gayle's the best T20 player in the world bar none though - certainly better than Pollard (who is no doubt awesome at domestic T20 himself) so it's probably never going to be a bad deal unless they'd had to lose half their squad to get him there.
Somerset would surely be doing pretty well financially though - all the CL money could go to Gayle and they'd still be in as good a position as any other county IMO, if not better given their results last year.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Somerset would surely be doing pretty well financially though - all the CL money could go to Gayle and they'd still be in as good a position as any other county IMO, if not better given their results last year.
This, his wages is being paid by that money, and if we're successful again, which this signing helps IMHO, then it's not really a problem at all. Gayle will get more crowds, games on telly, and commercial opportunities too, as he's a bigger name than Pollard.