• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Garner / Pollock / McGrath / Hadlee

Who was the best

• Joel Garner

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Shaun Pollock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glenn McGrath

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Richard Hadlee

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
My sheet gives it to Hadlee. His higher longevity pushes him past Garner.

My vote though for Garner in this poll.
There is something seriosly wrong to have RashidKhan as the second best ODI spinner.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
I don't think I am exaggerating when I say I am Hadlee's biggest fan on this site. I think he may be (very, very arguably) the best test player since Bradman.

But I have a hard time trusting the methodology behind a stats analysis that puts him as the best ODI bowler ever.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Eh... more like beneficiary of playing mostly against weak sides.
He can only play the opposition he gets. Also, it is not like he struggles against big teams. He has a very good record against them as well in both ODIs and T20s considering current era where a career economy of 5.5 is considered decent.

Still, my previous comment was more tongue in cheek to imply that he is not that bad. To me, Saqlain is the best ODI spinner of all time followed by Murali and then Warne who is a personal favorite.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's actually a better record than i expected ngl
It's pretty good, though hardly a big sample in terms of teams and conditions. But I have some sympathy for Migara's argument (for once).

He can only play the opposition he gets. Also, it is not like he struggles against big teams. He has a very good record against them as well in both ODIs and T20s considering current era where a career economy of 5.5 is considered decent.

Still, my previous comment was more tongue in cheek to imply that he is not that bad. To me, Saqlain is the best ODI spinner of all time followed by Murali and then Warne who is a personal favorite.
I don't know if you rate Kallis above Tendulkar but that's an unavoidable conclusion from 'he can only play the opposition he gets', and there is a yawning chasm between 'not bad' and 'second best of all time'. That said, at this rate not sure he'll ever play enough matches against the better sides for me to be comfortable in my judgement.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Good to see some love for Garner here. I voted for him because I am biased. I feel Garner was simply unplayable with his height, steep bounce and accuracy. He would have been even more successful if the scoring rates were higher in his time.

jayjay

U19 Cricketer

When you minus all the crap Rashid plays against, he only has 25 matches against the "top" teams (including Bangladesh in this analysis). 25 matches....and you think he is one of the best ever in ODIs? If we amend that to the top 5 teams in the las tWC, he has 7 matches and averages over 40...but yes, he doesn't struggle. Only struggles to pick wickets :laugh:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
When you minus all the crap Rashid plays against, he only has 25 matches against the "top" teams (including Bangladesh in this analysis). 25 matches....and you think he is one of the best ever in ODIs? If we amend that to the top 5 teams in the las tWC, he has 7 matches and averages over 40...but yes, he doesn't struggle. Only struggles to pick wickets :laugh:
Don't make CW into a mini youtube comments section with all these sarcastic smilies.

Cut out the sarcasm and talk properly. I will then respond to you.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbf jayjay is 100% correct though

You can't just say "He can only play the opposition he gets" and rate him among the best of the best when he averages over 40 against top teams when he's played them

Voges has way more claim to being the second best Test batsman ever than Rashid does of being the second best ODI bowler if we're using consistent logic

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
tbf jayjay is 100% correct though

You can't just say "He can only play the opposition he gets" and rate him among the best of the best when he averages over 40 against top teams when he's played them

Voges has way more claim to being the second best Test batsman ever than Rashid does of being the second best ODI bowler if we're using consistent logic
He might be correct in facts that he stated. But that doesn't take a lot of factors into consideration.

1. If you check my post properly, I did not say odi bowler. I said limited overs spinner. How many can lay claim to being a better spinner than Rashid Khan in both odis and t20s?
2. Afghanistan doesn't play many games. So the sample size will be smaller
3. He passes my eye test. I didn't look into stats. No batsman plays him easily while I have seen all spinners getting thrashed. Most of the batsmen just play him out and hit the other bowlers. That could explain the higher average taken specifically to discount his awesome stats
4. Not just internationals. He has proved himself in so many other t20 leagues as well. He is one of the first names picked in any league