• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Garner / Pollock / McGrath / Hadlee

Who was the best

• Joel Garner

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Shaun Pollock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glenn McGrath

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Richard Hadlee

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Very similar bowlers in ODI matches. What is striking is that all four of these bowlers were extremely accurate. I tries to adjust the averages and strike rates in relation to the peers.

1651255932440.png

Pollock has most wickets, Garner has the best average, Hadlee has the best ER.

Who would have been the best?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I did take into account that Garner and Hadlee were much more bowler-friendly ODI eras but maybe not by enough and underrated Shaun

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
According to Members' Voting, it's McGrath just ahead of Hadlee then daylight to Garner and another gap to Pollock. If we are just looking at that quartet I can't see much change in that order though personally I put Hadlee marginally ahead of McGrath.

Having said that, the Members' list and my opinion are purely based on Tests.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Very similar bowlers in ODI matches. What is striking is that all four of these bowlers were extremely accurate. I tries to adjust the averages and strike rates in relation to the peers.

View attachment 31601

Pollock has most wickets, Garner has the best average, Hadlee has the best ER.

Who would have been the best?
How is Garner getting hammered so badly in the adjustments relative to Hadlee? The vast majority the games they played were in the same era.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
How is Garner getting hammered so badly in the adjustments relative to Hadlee? The vast majority the games they played were in the same era.
Probably there are a few matches Hadlee played before where few big scores are achieved.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Probably there are a few matches Hadlee played before where few big scores are achieved.
He played about 10 matches pre-garner. And about 20 after garner. Would expect these to even out. But even if they don't... Garner is getting hit with a 20ish% penalty on his adjusted ER, while Hadlee is static.

If this is an era adjustment, the maths doesn't work.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Garner needs more adjustment if he was 3rd ball bowler of his time as that was the time batsman smacked you around back then.

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
McGrath clearly the best in ODIs, Pollock would be second for me and Hadlee/Garner bringing up the rear.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
My sheet gives it to Hadlee. His higher longevity pushes him past Garner.

My vote though for Garner in this poll.