• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ganguly to retire after Australia Tests

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Massive.

Loved Ganguly, very talented player and inspirational leader. Admired alot about him. So it starts...

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great player. Never really liked the guy, but he did earn my respect the way he came back into the side so strongly.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Quite possibly the best captain India has ever had. Considering his struggles, it is amazing that his average never dipped below 40 in Tests. He'll definitely be missed. India should certainly try to make more players like him - he was a huge part of the reason why India did not win an overseas Test in 15 years, and then began winning one almost every series.

Indian cricket owes a lot to him - I hope he has a successful series and retirement.

pup11

International Coach
Massive.

Loved Ganguly, very talented player and inspirational leader. Admired alot about him. So it starts...
Exactly my thoughts, loved him as a player and as a leader, was a very entertaining player and he showed tremendous grit in the kind of comeback after being dropped so i really admire him for that, its just a shame he has been forced into retiring when he was still performing decently and when he still wanted to play on for a while.

Jakester1288

International Regular
So here is the start of India's period where they cannot win a game. Clearing out players, players retiring etc, they have no hope until some very good juniors come through, or mature into good players. He was good to watch, solid player.

This will warrant his selection on this tour. He probably knows he will be selected, hence him going public about his retirement. If he was in doubt, he would have kept quiet, and if he played, announced it, and if not, waited until the series concluded.

pasag

RTDAS
So here is the start of India's period where they cannot win a game. Clearing out players, players retiring etc, they have no hope until some very good juniors come through, or mature into good players.
Hardly.

Anyways, the start of an end of an era. Sad to see him go.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Probably good timing. No-one can go on forever and if he can manage a good last series here, well... it's incomparable to the way things might so easily have finished in 2005. Was fantastic to see him fight his way back into both Indian teams in 2007 and the final chapter of his career has been the best for mine, with him at last showing serious signs of being something other than a non-seaming-track bully.

Ganguly is certainly one of the best Indian captains of all-time, I'd probably have him one rung below MAK Pataudi, but that's no disgrace. As I say, hope this last series goes well for him and best of luck to him in retirement. Hopefully he can find some form of higher role as his skills as a mentor and leader of men are undoubted and unlike batting ability do not dim with time.

duffer

The most un-Indian captain we've had. He really broke the mould for Indian cricketers and for that I'll always love him.

Hope this fires the side up so we can send him off in the manner he deserves. Just praying this series doesn't turn into a big farewell circus like we saw with Steve Waugh. Knowing the Indian media though, it's inevitable it will.

pup11

International Coach
Would be interesting to see whether he plays all the 4 test matches in this series, or whether he decides to bow out after the 2nd test.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The most un-Indian captain we've had. He really broke the mould for Indian cricketers and for that I'll always love him.

Hope this fires the side up so we can send him off in the manner he deserves. Just praying this series doesn't turn into a big farewell circus like we saw with Steve Waugh. Knowing the Indian media though, it's inevitable it will.
Never been totally sure why anyone was particularly displeased at the Stephen Waugh farewell TBH. You couldn't deny he deserved it, and it certainly didn't detract from the on-field events.

duffer

Never been totally sure why anyone was particularly displeased at the Stephen Waugh farewell TBH. You couldn't deny he deserved it, and it certainly didn't detract from the on-field events.
Dunno, they drew a series they should have won, as much as I loved seeing our batsmen pile on the runs. I'd say it did have an effect on the team.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Dunno, they drew a series they should have won, as much as I loved seeing our batsmen pile on the runs. I'd say it did have an effect on the team.
I'd much sooner point the finger at McGrath and Warne being absent than Waugh's farewell.

ret

International Debutant
a good decision by Ganguly .... like he did with his captaincy, he is once again showing the way to others .... hoping to see him in the commentary box and leading the Kolkatta Knight Riders

i hope that others like Kumble and Dravid take a leaf out of his book