• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Galle cricket ground devastated by Tsunami

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Attached is a photo of Galle cricket ground now devastated by the Tsunami. I was there in March last year, watching Australia v SriLanka Test Match, in the stand in the picture. Sad to see it absolutely devastated. The pitch and the ground itself must be damaged too !!

I guess in the scale of things that have happened to the people (0ver 30,000 dead and further 5,000 still unaccounted and over a million destitute), this pales into insignificance !! But still very very sad !!

Galle is a beautiful coastal town with great history and a historic Dutch Fort and exhillarating views across the Indian Ocean only few minutes from the ground !! That's all destroyed now !!

Attachments

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jeez, that looks pretty awful. :(

30,000 is a lotta souls & I've heard higher figures bandied about too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
JASON said:
I guess in the scale of things that have happened to the people (0ver 30,000 dead and further 5,000 still unaccounted and over a million destitute), this pales into insignificance !! But still very very sad !!
I don't normally post just saying "I agree" but I felt I have to comment on the matter, and you've already said exactly what I'd say!
Be a bit like plagiarisation if I didn't give you the credit for it!

nikhil1772

State Vice-Captain
Today Times Of India had a pic of Sanath Jayasuriya taking a walk inside the Galle Stadium...it looked awful and I m sure many sentiments must have ran thru Sanath's mind...although this is negligible to the loss of lives that SL had to put up with...not to mention my own countrymen...

I m trying to contribute as much as I can...and I m sure everyone around here is too