• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

From Hero to Zero

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mike Gatting? From Ashes-winning captain to reverse-sweeping cretin in a little over 12 months. Subsequently lost his captaincy for being caught behind with a barmaid (allegedly...) and then went on the poisonous rebel SA tour.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mike Gatting? From Ashes-winning captain to reverse-sweeping cretin in a little over 12 months. Subsequently lost his captaincy for being caught behind with a barmaid (allegedly...) and then went on the poisonous rebel SA tour.
Main reason he lost the captaincy was the Shakoor Rana affair. The barmaid escapade was merely the excuse the TCCB needed after regretting not disciplining him at the time for the Shakoor bust-up.

I don't really know how much of a hero Gatting was for the victory in 1986/87, but the truth is the answer should have been "not much of one" as proving you're the second-worst side in The World rather than the worst is nothing to be shouting about. I think that 1986/87 victory has gained far more credence through the sands of time than it certainly deserved and possibly had at the time, because of the fact it ended-up being the last for 9 series'. 1985 under David Gower was a slightly better victory, as The Ashes were regained rather than retained, Australia's woefulness had not become quite so apparent by that time, and England had also yet to enter the wretchedness that they entered immediately after that 1985 Ashes (indeed they'd just won in India in 1984/85, which has never been a mean feat).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
On the subject of the 1985 Ashes and Gower's captaincy though, I suppose you could say Gower sort of went from hero to twice zero. In that he captained to 3-1 in 1985 to be a hero of sorts. His next series as captain was a 5-0 Wisden Trophy blackwash in West Indies, after which he was dropped as captain, and when he returned to the job in 1989 he presided over a 0-4 (would've been 0-6 but for lost time) Ashes defeat.

The 1986 series in West Indies started the most wretched run in the history of English Test history and the 1989 series at home to Australia concluded it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I guess Shoaib's done the old hero-to-zero thing more times than you could wish to recall, but Asif that once was and how.

Although what was interesting is that the Pakistani public, initially, were 100% behind them and did not want to see the PCB ban them. A common attitude where I hung-out was "the PCB's job is to protect its own players, not to be acceptable to the outside World".

Edged&Taken

U19 Vice-Captain
asif twice too i think. - the nandrolone episode (along with shoib) and lately the dubai airport one for transporting

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Marlon Samuels was never a hero, and Gibbs' fall was barely noticed as alongside Cronje's it was a pretty minor event.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I thought Id posted in this thread already. Anyway...

Larwood is an obvious candidate.

Tamed Don Bradman and brought glory to his country as a one-man wrecking crew.

Then banned from playing for England for life because he will not apologise for doing his captains bidding.

From hero to cricketing pariah

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I thought Id posted in this thread already. Anyway...

Larwood is an obvious candidate.

Tamed Don Bradman and brought glory to his country as a one-man wrecking crew.

Then banned from playing for England for life because he will not apologise for doing his captains bidding.

From hero to cricketing pariah
Slightly harsh on Voce for mine, but Larwood was the spearhead, yes.

I do think posterity will be a lot kinder to Lol than it would've been had he apologised tho, a man of principle and dignity. History will certainly judge him more kindly than Gubby Allen, who famously would not bowl to a leg theory field, but subsequently presided over the grubby D'Oliveira Affair whilst MCC Treasurer.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Lance Klusener. In the course of a single match.
Never, I would say... An apt description for Lance Klusener in that match (more specifically in that series as a whole) would be 'from a would-be triumphant hero to a tragic hero'....

krkode

State Captain
That seemed really more Donald's misgiving, though. :(

Not that I have anything against Donald... he has done a great deal for SA. In the grand scheme of things, the difference between winning and not winning that WC isn't a big deal. Donald was worth more than one World Cup to SA, IMO.