• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

France v Belgium

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Best two sides, certainly in this half, came through. Looking forward to a wonderful clash.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Do people think reaching the semi's here has (rightly or wrongly) enhanced in anyway the reputation of Martinez/Deschamps?

someone should definitely sticky this thread too.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Martinez is definitely coming out of this looking good. Tactically he has been very astute on several occasions.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i don't know when this match starts because important details were not included in the op.

Uppercut

Martinez is definitely coming out of this looking good. Tactically he has been very astute on several occasions.
Yeah feel like the backlash against him went too far. Or maybe it's better to say that it wasn't specific enough, because if anything he didn't get enough grief for his performance with Everton.

But both his PL teams got a crazy number of wins against much better sides, which is probably more relevant to a WC than the fact that his defences always decay the longer he stays at a club.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I do think at least one Euro/WC semi was the barest of expectations for the current Belgian generation. Wilmots had two bites at the cherry in 2014 and 2016 (no disgrace in a QF exit to yer Argies, but a little in being ousted by the Leekists), so kudos to Martinez I guess.

Was surprised he got the gig after the way it ended at Goodison though; can't imagine too many Toffees were sorry to see him go.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I think I'm right in saying that Martinez could be the first ever manager to win the world cup with a foreign team.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Do people think reaching the semi's here has (rightly or wrongly) enhanced in anyway the reputation of Martinez/Deschamps?

someone should definitely sticky this thread too.
Not Deschamps. He has a brilliant group of players to work with.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
It's so weird that Giroud gets praise for the mediocre level of performance he used to get criticised for. Happened when he started getting fewer starts for Arsenal.

Uppercut

It's so weird that Giroud gets praise for the mediocre level of performance he used to get criticised for. Happened when he started getting fewer starts for Arsenal.
He’s just been plain bad all tournament really. Would’ve been dropped if Deschamps wasn’t the world’s most conservative coach.