• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fourth best spinner

4th best

• Total voters

capt_Luffy

International Regular
That’s 5 matches out which still leaves Grimmett with 182 Wkts @25.48. Then surely Ashwin’s figures against minnow WI needs to be excluded as well plus of minnows of all spinners.
That still includes his record against WI. Against England (the only serious opposition) Grum averages 32+. Ashwin without WI is still around 24.5. On removing SL as well, it's still sub 25...

Last edited:

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
@capt_Luffy Your attempts to belittle Laker's performances in Australia whilst claiming Ashwin's record in Australia "is fine" on "deeper inspection", don't work.

Let's look at the facts:

Laker 4 Tests 15 wickets @ 21.20 ; S.R. 68.13 ; E.R. 1.87
Ashwin 10 Tests @ 39 wickets ; S.R. 86.26; E.R. 2.93

The only area where Ashwin approaches Laker's efficiency is in WPM.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
@capt_Luffy Your attempts to belittle Laker's performances in Australia whilst claiming Ashwin's record in Australia "is fine" on "deeper inspection", don't work.

Let's look at the facts:

Laker 4 Tests 15 wickets @ 21.20 ; S.R. 68.13 ; E.R. 1.87
Ashwin 10 Tests @ 39 wickets ; S.R. 86.26; E.R. 2.93

The only area where Ashwin approaches Laker's efficiency is in WPM.
And that he got India to win 2 series.... But believe me, Ashwin's record in Australia is pretty mid. And I don't have any qualms with Laker's performance there to begin with, it was always his sample size there; and had it been England didn't toured often or even had a quality spinning all-rounder, I would had shut up. But as it stands, Laker literally has an identical record in Australia with Jadeja because selectors thought an offie won't work; and I don't think of his record there as highly as others, even like Kumble. Reading my replies here, it almost feels like I think Ashwin is close to Warne and Murali; he's not. Very far from it. He definitely is in the tier of Laker, Grimmett, Verity, Tayfield, Gibbs, Kumble; and arguably Underwood, Bedi, Benaud and Chandrashekhar.Heck, I am not even sure whether I would rank Laker<Ashwin in my spinners rankings (last time I didn't) and kinda voted Ashwin just for Kyear2.

That still includes his record against WI. Against England (the only serious opposition) Grum averages 32+. Ashwin without WI is still around 24.5. On removing SL as well, it's still sub 25...
That excludes Grum’s record against WI, he only played 5 matches against them. If records against only legitimate lineup is to be counted then shouldn’t Warne’s and Murali record against Ind be their only measuring yardstick?

That England lineup Grum bowled to is probably the strongest batting lineup to ever assemble.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...-vs-england-1st-test-62562/live-cricket-score

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
That excludes Grum’s record against WI, he only played 5 matches against them. If records against only legitimate lineup is to be counted then shouldn’t Warne’s and Murali record against Ind be their only measuring yardstick?

That England lineup Grum bowled to is probably the strongest batting lineup to ever assemble.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...-vs-england-1st-test-62562/live-cricket-score
rip Jack Gregory’s career

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Look, if you don't like the word bitching, I am sorry. Really thought it would get censored... But well. I don't have a problem with you complaining about Ashwin, my problem was you were only complaining about Ashwin and how he could not be among top 5 spinners, q.
I try to keep it civil, but doesn't bother me. I've been come after much harder, mostly by the same person(s), but hey.

And you've been doing quite the job doing that yourself.

There's a reason we don't rank Sir Everton Weekes (amazing slip fielder as well btw) among the top 10 batting greats, the players / establishment of the time, Bradman included thought he was amazing, better than Headley (guess they didn't have stat guru), same with Sir Clyde Walcott. They're call HTBs, flat track bullies etc.

Don't see how Ash is any different tbh.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
No I didn't called Kyear bitch, just him complaining too much about a single player a little annoying.... I should had used another word.
Every other post in this thread is basically you anointing him, thought some balance was in order.

If every pitch in the Caribbean was a Sabina and out fast bowlers were rested while touring, I would treat them the same way.

capt_Luffy

International Regular

I didn't meant only the strongest line up; but I don't think you will argue that WI and SA weren't really competing with Australia or England to be world champions. England were challengers to Australia, as were SA; and I don't think you could say the same for WI and SA back then. In the first series Grum played vs SA, Nourse wasn't there and Herbie Taylor was washed up. Bruce Mitchell was still emerging and was pretty much their only reliable bat. The second series had a better line-up, with Nourse, Mitchell and Rowan; and O'Reilly also took them for a washing. As I said, Grum's record in that SA tour shouldn't be wrote off, and while you gave literally the strongest line-up assembled (no seriously, Hobbs and Hammond hardly played together, it's not a proper representation), he still bowled against a stacked English line-up in pretty dead pitches. And that's why he most definitely is in my top 7.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
I try to keep it civil, but doesn't bother me. I've been come after much harder, mostly by the same person(s), but hey.

And you've been doing quite the job doing that yourself.

There's a reason we don't rank Sir Everton Weekes (amazing slip fielder as well btw) among the top 10 batting greats, the players / establishment of the time, Bradman included thought he was amazing, better than Headley (guess they didn't have stat guru), same with Sir Clyde Walcott. They're call HTBs, flat track bullies etc.

Don't see how Ash is any different tbh.
And who is ranking Ash in the Top 10 bowlers exactly? And I think you would still have sir Weekes and Walcott in top 25ish... Right?
Every other post in this thread is basically you anointing him, thought some balance was in order.

If every pitch in the Caribbean was a Sabina and out fast bowlers were rested while touring, I would treat them the same way.
Look man, my response on Ashwin was based on yours. And I really didn't came after you in particular, I think? As I said, I have given adequate reasoning for each the spinners' faults. And once again, I think I had been a little mean, so I am sorry.

shortpitched713

International Captain
So yeah I think most of us(?) agree that its pretty close between multiple candidates.

Ashwin I’m not sure about so I’m not including him in this ranking, I do expect him to top the others by career end.

Laker
Grimmett
Tayfield
Verity
There's no chance, that by career end, Ashwin's historical impact will be less than any of the above names.

Then why not just vote for him?

Also, I don't understand why y'all are putting so much emphasis on old time spinners only, when batsmanship simply wasn't as good before modern eras ( barring Bradman ).

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
There's no chance, that by career end, Ashwin's historical impact will be less than any of the above names.

Then why not just vote for him?

Also, I don't understand why y'all are putting so much emphasis on old time spinners only, when batsmanship simply wasn't as good before modern eras ( barring Bradman ).
Of course there is.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Personally I never liked his hairstyle or moustache in his cricinfo pic. Thats enough for me.