• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Football stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Ali TT

International Debutant
The technology clearly isn't the problem, it's that football referee are too ****ing stupid to understand the rules of the game they officiate.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Tricky one this. They've made a ruling that is not contentious, it's just wrong.....but hey, that happens in non VAR football every week. From a legal standing then I guess there was no option but to replay it. It's not a decision based on opinion. But we've seen others where offside lines have been applied to the wrong players (Newcastle/Arsenal).....
it's happened in a World Cup qualifier before in nearly exactly the same way ( https://www.telegraphindia.com/sports/fifa-orders-replay-uzbekistan-vs-bahrain/cid/1056811 ), way before the time of VAR, and it seems like the argument is that the referees made an incorrect conclusion based on how the rules should apply to the facts they observed, rather than interpreting the facts wrong (eg judging a push not to be sufficient for a foul)

Ali TT

International Debutant
Qatar take out Iran in the other semi in the match of who do you want to root for less least.

Nigeria to face DRC or Cd'I in AfCON.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Admittedly haven't watched any of their games, but Qatar's ongoing success baffles me.

They're defending champions and at worst finalists this time around, but they looked utterly, utterly ploppy pants in the WC.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Admittedly haven't watched any of their games, but Qatar's ongoing success baffles me.

They're defending champions and at worst finalists this time around, but they looked utterly, utterly ploppy pants in the WC.
Almoez and Akram are very good at this level

Molehill

International Captain
The Afcon is weird. I was listening to some BBC 5Live thing before it and they had an ex Nigerian player on (I forget who) who said that his team had zero chance and were basically not much better than a Championship Club (aside from Osimhen). The hosts managed to lose 2 of their 3 group games (a 4-0 thrashing in one) and were all but out in a knockout game too.

Now one of these two will win it...

Socerer 01

International Captain
The Afcon is weird. I was listening to some BBC 5Live thing before it and they had an ex Nigerian player on (I forget who) who said that his team had zero chance and were basically not much better than a Championship Club (aside from Osimhen). The hosts managed to lose 2 of their 3 group games (a 4-0 thrashing in one) and were all but out in a knockout game too.

Now one of these two will win it...
whoever said that about Nigeria is completely wrong especially on the championship club part

the afcon is always weird though

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Keen tbh. In principle anyway. In reality I could see it turning into the next VAR-style moanathon.

Molehill

International Captain
Keen tbh. In principle anyway. In reality I could see it turning into the next VAR-style moanathon.
Can you imagine the time wasting that will go on whilst a player is off the field? I guarantee the trial fails unless they introduce an in play clock like rugby.

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
Can you imagine the time wasting that will go on whilst a player is off the field? I guarantee the trial fails unless they introduce an in play clock like rugby.
Sin-bin the excessive time wasting too. If a team wants to constantly play a man or two down then so be it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Quite right too. It's the colour of tories and, worse yet, Chelsea.

Although one imagines the Venn diagrams of "tories" and "Chav supporters" have a high percentage of overlap.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Does anyone have a link to the number of football league clubs by County? I've been following Colchester since they came back up from non-league in 1992 but in my life time, only Southend and Colchester (ignoring Wet Sham as a London club) have been in the football league. I notice Chelmsford and Braintree in the play-offs for the National League South this season. It seems a very small number of clubs for a team so close to the main urban area of the country. But then, by my reckoning, Surrey have none (as well as places like Rutland, Cornwall, Herefordshire maybe?).

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Does anyone have a link to the number of football league clubs by County? I've been following Colchester since they came back up from non-league in 1992 but in my life time, only Southend and Colchester (ignoring Wet Sham as a London club) have been in the football league. I notice Chelmsford and Braintree in the play-offs for the National League South this season. It seems a very small number of clubs for a team so close to the main urban area of the country. But then, by my reckoning, Surrey have none (as well as places like Rutland, Cornwall, Herefordshire maybe?).
Hmmm. Found this on the Grauniad

" Ten English counties have no representatives in the Football League: City of London, Cornwall, County Durham, Herefordshire, Isle of Wight, Northumberland, Rutland, Surrey, Warwickshire and Worcestershire. "