• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Food for thought for those who think India was never among the top 4

sreeku7

School Boy/Girl Captain
The all conquering Australian Test Cricket team of 1995 wrested the world crown from the West Indies in the 1994-95 series.After that most of the other cricket teams surrendered meekly before the Australian might.Only one team posed a stiff opposition to the Australian rampage.Let figures speak for themselves

England vs Australia 1995 to 2012

Tests played 41 ,won 12,lost 22

South Africa vs Australia 1995 to 2012

Tests played 26,won 6,lost 17

Pakistan vs Australia 1995 to 2012

Tests played 20,won 2,lost 16

And much maligned India vs Australia 1995 to 2012

Tests played 32,won 12,lost 14

Australia managed to win only 2 more Tests than India (including the recent 4-0 drubbing) during this period while against the other top teams the difference between Tests won and lost is more than 10.
Pretty decent show for a team which does not figure in the top 4 of many C Webbers

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Good record, but we are talking about the current rankings. Plus how many of those were at home and how many away?

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
10 wins at home 2 away.

6 draws. 3 in each country.

England were dire in the 90s for a number of reasons its nothing new.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Honestly no idea what your point is. Who are these people you're trying to disprove, and what's their fallacy supposed to be?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Did anyone really think India were never in the top four Test teams at any point between 1995 and now?

I mean, they might not be now, but a few years ago there was no debate over the matter, surely...

sreeku7

School Boy/Girl Captain
2 Tests in Australia.But Australia won only 4 Tests in India during this period.Difference of 2 win away which is the difference between total win and loss

Last edited:

sreeku7

School Boy/Girl Captain
10 wins at home 2 away.

6 draws. 3 in each country.

England were dire in the 90s for a number of reasons its nothing new.
Both India and Australia have 10 win at home

Look at the performance of South Africa,Pakistan,Sri Lanka,WI and NZ during this period.Not only England but all other teams struggled against Australia

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't even know where to start with this thread.

1. No-one's saying that India weren't one of the top four teams in 2009 or whatever; people are only saying they aren't now, so what they did in 1995 is about as relevant as how good they were at ice skating.

2. Even if the debate was over the long term strength of India over the 1995-2012 period (and only god knows why it would be) then merely pointing out that they did comparatively better against Australia than other sides across that time period doesn't really prove anything. Teams play against themselves as well and aren't judged purely by their performances against one common opposition.

And that's only the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
PEWS sums it up quite succinctly really.

Especially the first point. Who said India were never in the top 4 in the last decade and a half :blink:

sreeku7

School Boy/Girl Captain
Did anyone really think India were never in the top four Test teams at any point between 1995 and now?

I mean, they might not be now, but a few years ago there was no debate over the matter, surely...
After the 4-0 dubbing almost everyone is listing India along with the lesser teams like WI,NZ,Lanka etc. as if no other team had lost Tests in such a way.Australia lost 5 of the 8 tests played against India until the recent series.Recently they lost 3 Tests by an Innings to England and got bowled out for 46 in SA.Lost a Test to NZ at home.Does that mean Australia is only as good as NZ..I just wished to point out that India performed better than any other Test team against a Champion Australian Team

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
After the 4-0 dubbing almost everyone is listing India along with the lesser teams like WI,NZ,Lanka etc. as if no other team had lost Tests in such a way.Australia lost 5 of the 8 tests played against India until the recent series.Recently they lost 3 Tests by an Innings to England and got bowled out for 46 in SA.Lost a Test to NZ at home.Does that mean Australia is only as good as NZ..I just wished to point out that India performed better than any other Test team against a Champion Australian Team
Yeah but that was ages ago.

No-one is saying that because India got smashed by England and Australia they were actually a **** team 3 years ago as well. People are just saying it doesn't bode well for their current quality. How well they did against Australia in 1995 means nothing.

I'd like you to find me one quote from someone saying India have not been in the top four at any stage during the last 17 years.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So basically you made up something that no one ever said in CW, and disproved it.

You debated with yourself.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So basically you made up something that no one ever said in CW, and disproved it.
The funny thing is, he didn't even do that, even though it should have been very easy. He made a straw man and then mounted a pretty weak case against it.

A truly odd thread.

sreeku7

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah but that was ages ago.

No-one is saying that because India got smashed by England and Australia they were actually a **** team 3 years ago as well. People are just saying it doesn't bode well for their current quality. How well they did against Australia in 1995 means nothing.

I'd like you to find me one quote from someone saying India have not been in the top four at any stage during the last 17 years.
1995 has no relevance to India.Australia became the unofficial world champions in 1995 and hence the mention of 1995.Actually India performed better against Australia after 2000,winning 9 Tests against Australia's 6 wins until the recent series which it lost 4-0.But by that time, Australia is no more The No.1 side it was,so it does not count :D
As for the second point the use of past tense was a mistake.I was pissed of after seeing a number of posts in which India was not mentioned among the top four :(
If possible change the tile accordingly i.e to present tense