• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flintoff's action

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FaaipDeOiad said:
Speaking of bowling actions, it's interesting that all 4 pace bowlers regularly used in the Australian side (McGrath, Gillespie, Kasprowicz and Lee) have very fluid, classical bowling actions. McGrath and Lee in particular are very nice to watch.
Absolutely. In terms of action alone, all 4 bowlers are brilliant to watch. You can add Bichel to that mix as well. I love(d) his action.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Flintoff does have a "wristy" action, but this is the first time I've heard him touted as a potential chucker.

His action looks the most labour-intensive one out there; no half-measures at all. Judging by what I saw on Sky Sports News just now I do wonder how long he'll be able to maintain it. The England physio said Fred is "in bits" just now. His ankle-spur will probably need another injection before Friday (one before the 4th was seriously considered too) & his ab tear is "worse".

If we patch him up for the 5th I reckon we can forget the ODI series for him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
From what I've heard he can get through that and then have the op.

3 months out coincides with no cricket until 2 Tests against Bangladesh - ideal for getting back to match fitness!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Flintoff injured, eh? I guess the English schedule is finally starting to take it's toll. In my opinion, Harmie is carrying too.

willb88

Cricket Spectator
Chucking

On the topic of chucking, I watched the PAK V WI matches the other day and watched Akhtar closely live and on replays. I think that he has gone back to chucking, it's clear to see. No wonder he's fast, I could probably bowl at 90mph if I could throw the ball down the pitch.

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
membersstand said:
I've barely ever seen Flintoff bowl (we don't have pay TV), but have heard a few people (P. Roebuck) questioning Flintoff's action, especially on his faster "effort ball". What are people's thougts on this ?
he doesn't throw, but he does have a pretty terrible action.

But it does seem to be working for him, and my theory on bowling actions is if a bowler is getting good results, then there's not point tampering with it.

Camel56

Banned
Agree Pinky, strange how some of the plodders here think they are cricket know alls and then try to make out that an Olympic gold medal winning hurdler has anything to do with a pakistani fast bowler.

C_C

International Captain
Flintoff uses a lot of wrist......but i think he throws his effort ball every now and then...which most bowlers do.
All this hulabaloo is because his action is ungainly..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Black Thunder said:
he doesn't throw, but he does have a pretty terrible action.

But it does seem to be working for him, and my theory on bowling actions is if a bowler is getting good results, then there's not point tampering with it.
Good points there, BT. But I think it a bit of a conundrum for Fred & his physios. His bowling since The Windies tour last year has been a revelation; he's turned from (at best) a defensive stock bowler to a genuinely quick strike bowler. Since the tour his average is around the 25/6 mark.

What cost to his body tho? As you say his action is terrible to watch. He's a big unit who generates his pace from sheer effort rather than his run up or a quick arm action. With his injury record if his model isn't rejigged slightly he'll be over as a quick by 30.

The trouble is (obviously) would he be so effective?

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
BoyBrumby said:
The trouble is (obviously) would he be so effective?
From what i heard on Talksport, Freddie has been bowling around 81/2 mph and in this series most of the time and boy , Kallis and co. probably thought he was bowling express pace.

Swervy

International Captain
SpeedKing said:
From what i heard on Talksport, Freddie has been bowling around 81/2 mph and in this series most of the time and boy , Kallis and co. probably thought he was bowling express pace.
he got up to 90 the other day

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
SpeedKing said:
Never trust anything you hear on TalkSport. Consistently 85+

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Swervy said:
he got up to 90 the other day
He did, excellent sustained hostility in the 4th test. In one spell nothing was below 87mph. I don't think Pollock in particular fancies Fred's short stuff at all.

Yesterday Jones ripped one out @ 92.8mph too, which Mike Walters in The Mirror says is the fastest recorded delivery by an England player. Whether he means in tests or just this test I don't know, but I've seen harmy touch 96mph in ODIs.