• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Five things I don't get about cricket

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
Journalism in South Africa is, in general, pretty ******* dire.
It's a shame that Moonda has become so prominent for coverage related to all things SAF rather than someone like Telford Vice - I know she married him - and Neil Manthorp. John Kent who was commentating during the Bangladesh-England series also sounded like a good analyst though I know little about him.

On the subject of this thread, I have wondered about why teams don't try not taking wickets and instead just going on the defensive while playing LOI cricket? This could mean bowling slower balls and wide yorkers and packing the offside field which would restrict run scoring to quite an extent after the fielding restrictions are relaxed. The end result might be that the same number of wickets fall anyway since a lot of dismissals are batsmen getting out to mediocre deliveries playing attacking shots. It's what happens in the t20 game anyway after the first 4-5 overs.

Marius

International Debutant
It's a shame that Moonda has become so prominent for coverage related to all things SAF rather than someone like Telford Vice - I know she married him - and Neil Manthorp. John Kent who was commentating during the Bangladesh-England series also sounded like a good analyst though I know little about him.

On the subject of this thread, I have wondered about why teams don't try not taking wickets and instead just going on the defensive while playing LOI cricket? This could mean bowling slower balls and wide yorkers and packing the offside field which would restrict run scoring to quite an extent after the fielding restrictions are relaxed. The end result might be that the same number of wickets fall anyway since a lot of dismissals are batsmen getting out to mediocre deliveries playing attacking shots. It's what happens in the t20 game anyway after the first 4-5 overs.
At least Luke Alfred rights occasionally for Cricinfo too, his analyses are normally pretty good.

Vice is OK but he sometimes tries too hard and also lets his politics filter through to his writing a bit much for me.

Manthorp is pretty good and Antoinette Muller is also OK.

Tom Eaton has also written on cricket occasionally and he's pretty decent.

Couple of the guys who write for the Sunday Times in SA also aren't bad.

They're all better than Moonda. Mind you, a monkey with a typewriter would be better than Moonda. It would certainly write less cliche-filled stuff, that's for sure.