• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Five things I don't get about cricket

Victor Ian

International Coach
I don't understand why a peach of a ball is meant to be hard to hit. I had peaches in my back yard when I was young and used to hit them over the fence for fun.

Julian87

State Captain
South Africa. And, according to Haigh and Kimber, Australia.
It definitely is coached and practised in Australia at all standard of junior cricket so they're wrong. The bloke that ran rather intensive running between the wickets coaching during some of my junior rep stuff was re-running it straight from grade cricket training too.

Marius

International Debutant
Moonda casts her eye over South Africa's post-isolation victories in Australia and asserts that today's was "the toughest of them all."

Five hard-earned wins down under | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Really? It seemed to come pretty easily once Steyn got crocked! We were over ninety per cent on that WinViz thingy for the last two days...
Nice thing when we play against Aus is that the match reports are written by someone whose prose doesn't make you want to dig out your eyes with a rusty fork.

neville cardus

International Debutant
My favourite gaffe today is Zaahier Adams's. He writes for IOL that the last rites were played out "in almost virtual silence."

neville cardus

International Debutant
Our English is dire, but actually I think our journalism has a lot to recommend it. Far more public-spirited and adversarial than its counterpart in the United States, for example.

Stapel

International Regular
Haha yeah the 117 defense and the 414 chase were tougher.
I can see why someone would argue that a 4th innings 117 defense or 414 chase are both easier than coming back from 242 all out & 158/0. It's bassically the same as being shot down for 84 in your first innings, yet still winning the Test. I guess these situations are hard to compare.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I can see that but when I think of 'hard' Test wins it makes sense to think of having to compete hard right until the end of the 5th day, or at least the end of the game. This match had a great comeback but was more or less won on day 3. After that there were large phases of phoney war, the intensity was extremely low.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I can see that but when I think of 'hard' Test wins it makes sense to think of having to compete hard right until the end of the 5th day, or at least the end of the game. This match had a great comeback but was more or less won on day 3. After that there were large phases of phoney war, the intensity was extremely low.

True, but the fact that they just had the 3 proper bowlers and one of them was on debut means they were fighting those factors as well as how Australia were playing. So I can see the merit in saying this was probably the toughest. I am sure it was the toughest, physically, for the bowlers playing at least.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
True, but the fact that they just had the 3 proper bowlers and one of them was on debut means they were fighting those factors as well as how Australia were playing. So I can see the merit in saying this was probably the toughest. I am sure it was the toughest, physically, for the bowlers playing at least.
Sometimes I think it gets a little overblown nowadays. We've had good West Indian sides with Worrell opening the bowling with Wes Hall, with Sobers, Ramadhin and Valentine being the other bowlers, and Australian sides where McCabe was the fourth bowler, and English sides with Hammond as the fourth bowler.

This is not to detract from the Saffers' efforts which have been enormous, but having Duminy and Elgar (not that they used him) is a real handy thing for the Saffers. Having 539 to defend helped enormously with the workload in the fourth innings, of course, as they could give long rests to Rabada and Philander. The second innings was a genuinely world class effort.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
But you gotta understand, its not just that they had only 3 front-line bowlers. Like you pointed out, teams have played with just 3 front-line bowlers in the past too, but it is the fact that the injury happened during the game and must have messed up any and all plans of the RSA think tank. THAT is what makes this perhaps the best Saffer win, for me, in my time of watching them play test cricket.

Stapel

International Regular
Yeah. Have to agree.

Not their 'toughest' win in that sense. On the other hand: It's even 'thougher' to win by 180 runs, when your opponents trail by 80 runs, in their own yard, having 10 wickets in hand in the first innings. Maybe not the toughest win, but for me the most amazing & massive turn around I've seen.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Does that make the win even tougher/more notable? To have the opposition at 0/150 after putting up 240, go a bowler down, and still manage to kill the game off by the end of the third day?