• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final | England vs Pakistan | Melbourne, 13 November 2022

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Congrats to England.

They morally deserve to win the WCs because they chose to disinfect from 50 avg 90 SR cancer and dumped their ‘world class’ anchors at the top of the order unlike most other teams.
Still think that was the wrong decision. Root is nowhere near worse in any form of the game than Salt, Livingstone or Brook. but hey-ho, you don't really need 11 fully functioning players to win T20s, think we had a few passengers the last time we won too, including the captain from memory.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Still think that was the wrong decision. Root is nowhere near worse in any form of the game than Salt, Livingstone or Brook. but hey-ho, you don't really need 11 fully functioning players to win T20s, think we had a few passengers the last time we won too, including the captain from memory.
Yeah Root surely makes this side stronger just because they got the win does not mean all their calls are correct.

grecian

Yeah Root surely makes this side stronger just because they got the win does not mean all their calls are correct.
Hey arguing with myself now, but I guess we won and our best players has had a rest. The fact is though he's pretty good at accelerating and improvising, oh and he's a better bowling option than Livingstone, I'm very bored of this he can bowl lots of different ways ****, yeah but all the ways are crap. He's a myth ATM Internationally, but we'll see. Obviously he hits big 6es.

Jack1

International Debutant
It is better Root focuses on Tests and ODIs. He is a proven top player and England have depth in T20I already with a world class anchor in Malan (if he plays again). Stokes has shown this tournament he will do the business if required too even if luck was required in the final. Livingstone is a better option than Root in T20I.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Was he the/a backup to poor Steve Thompson? Great player and a tragic story. Yeah, talking of rugby I almost half wish that Gareth Anscombe had stayed in NZ as I don't particularly rate Mo'unga and B Barrett at running a backline from no 10.
Yeah, exactly. He definitely got on the paddock in the semi v les bleus, but don't think he did in the final.

& yeah, awful for the big fella. The documentary on his condition is pretty heartbreaking.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I think the psychological and optical commitment to going full hell for leather through the order in practice is way more important than the slight pragmatic advantage on paper of playing a root type batsman in one slot.

grecian

I think the psychological and optical commitment to going full hell for leather through the order in practice is way more important than the slight pragmatic advantage on paper of playing a root type batsman in one slot.
Fair enough, but Malan is hardly gung-ho from ball one, maybe him getting injured was our winning piece of luck:cool2:

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
I don't get the England not winning the WC thing. The rule was stupid but it was there.

If England didn't win the 19 WC then neither did Aus in 99

Last edited:

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair enough, but Malan is hardly gung-ho from ball one, maybe him getting injured was our winning piece of luck:cool2:
Historically this was true, but he seems to have been working at this. This year Malan has been starting his innings as quickly as anyone in the side (...right up until the Ireland WC game that almost cost us).

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Congrats England. Well deserved win. Pak showed great spirit fighting with that low total but I honestly felt it was more England's nerves that took the game that way. Pak needs to introspect and stop being anti-India their priority, in their cricket and in everything else, really. Its a real bad legacy that Imran is leaving behind unfortunately when it comes to this aspect alone.

Pak still have that blueprint of a champion T20 side. I dunno how many of their guys will be injured/found out in 2 years time and cricket in the Caribbean comes with its own challenges but they should shed some of their defensive and safety first mindset, esp. up front with the bat. T20, and even all of LO cricket, is going to a place where bowling can't really keep bailing you out everytime and that really seems to be Pak's plan A.

England have reaped the rewards for adopting a generational shift in mindset on how to play LO cricket. I guess they will continue being strong but very happy they won the WC now even though I really felt Morgan was the one who deserved to go out with both WCs won.

Sam Curran, Naseem Shah, Virat all doing well makes me happy. Wish India picked Lord. We need him to win anything really, these days.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Congrats England. Well deserved win. Pak showed great spirit fighting with that low total but I honestly felt it was more England's nerves that took the game that way. Pak needs to introspect and stop being anti-India their priority, in their cricket and in everything else, really. Its a real bad legacy that Imran is leaving behind unfortunately when it comes to this aspect alone.
I dobut Imran is responsible for it. It has more to do with geopolitics.