• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - England v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Especially considering how nice it was to watch a much better balance between bat and ball over the last month or so.
Yeah, that was a(nother) massive plus about the WC. The lack of 350+ scores was refreshing and winning scores under 250 were all good.

Long may that particular trend continue. So much better to watch.

Woodster

International Captain
No I haven't seen that it was so heavily weighted in T20 games. What a shame the country won't get to watch this 50-over side too frequently.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Having said that, of all the hundred what if moments my mind keeps coming back to Boult stepping on the line. I felt watching at the time, that was regulation fielding for this day and age and was almost the equivalent of dropping a sitter.
Exactly this. Of all the pivotal moments in the closing chaos, this was by far the biggest. Lord only knows what he was thinking then, and what he's thinking now. It was a huge brain-freeze moment from Trent.

Stapel

International Regular
de Gandhomme - 6.5/10: Colin was Colin, but did a lot better than many of us expected, and usually contributed in at least one discipline in each game. Such an enigma.
Colin had the best economy rate (given a minimum of 35 overs bowled) of the whole WC! So, no! He is underrated, imnsho.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
NZ's lack of power hitting really hurt them last night. CDG's gormlessness, Santner's *****footing, complete inability to pick the cutters even when Archer and co. were taking the pace off at least 3-4 balls each over, all of it came back to haunt them in a big way.

Stapel

International Regular
Nah I don't think it is. Leg byes when not playing a shot is called a dead-ball by the umpires even if it goes for 4.
I'm not sure about that. Does this mean you can't get run out? Or will the umpires call it dead ball a bit later?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I've seen 4 (boundary) leg byes given in that situation. Wrong or not.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
NZ's lack of power hitting really hurt them last night. CDG's gormlessness, Santner's *****footing, complete inability to pick the cutters even when Archer and co. were taking the pace off at least 3-4 balls each over, all of it came back to haunt them in a big way.
I dunno. Another 20 runs doesn't necessarily win us the match, as it changes the England's approach when they bat, and who can tell what happens from there.

But, yeah, we do have power-hitting issues at the back end, but I don't think they came back to haunt us 'in a big way'. Not yesterday, anyway.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I'm not sure about that. Does this mean you can't get run out? Or will the umpires call it dead ball a bit later?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I've seen 4 (boundary) leg byes given in that situation. Wrong or not.
It's always a dead ball if you're not playing a shot, unless you are taking evasive action.

vandem

International 12th Man
I dunno. Another 20 runs doesn't necessarily win us the match, as it changes the England's approach when they bat, and who can tell what happens from there.

But, yeah, we do have power-hitting issues at the back end, but I don't think they came back to haunt us 'in a big way'. Not yesterday, anyway.
Agree. We lost 50-60 runs by a combination of conservative opening play not putting pressure on opening bowlers (Nicholls), middle order getting out when set (Kane/Ross) and lack of lower order boundary hitting. If the first two had been better then 270-280 was possible, even with some lower order mis-hitting.

Spark

Global Moderator
Exactly this. Of all the pivotal moments in the closing chaos, this was by far the biggest. Lord only knows what he was thinking then, and what he's thinking now. It was a huge brain-freeze moment from Trent.
He genuinely seemed surprised that he was so close to the rope. Very causal in the situation.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree. We lost 50-60 runs by a combination of conservative opening play not putting pressure on opening bowlers (Nicholls), middle order getting out when set (Kane/Ross) and lack of lower order boundary hitting. If the first two had been better then 270-280 was possible, even with some lower order mis-hitting.
Would be really harsh to lay any blame at nichols' feet. He played a classic terrible but excellent innings.

vandem

International 12th Man
Would be really harsh to lay any blame at nichols' feet. He played a classic terrible but excellent innings.
I was hinting that a Munro T20 type innings might had thrown Woakes off his length. Guppy had a couple of half shuffles, but IIRC Nichols and Kane then sat on the crease and didn't put pressure on Woakes. Kane excusable as he had the best chance of going onto a 100 (120).

jcas0167

International Debutant
Federer probably voicing how the Black Caps feel:

"It's hard to tell. I don't know if losing 6-2 6-2 6-2 feels better than this one. At the end it actually doesn't matter to some extent," Federer said.

"You might feel more disappointed, sad, angry. I don't know what I feel right now. I just feel like it's such an incredible opportunity missed. I can't believe it."

Niall

International Coach
https://twitter.com/LauraLambert8/status/1150688991261462529

Early breakdown of the numbers viewing wise on channel 4. It was still smashed by Wimbledon but I suppose we should not be shocked as that is such an iconic event which is always on free to air. Cricket numbers pretty good but was expecting better but I suppose when cricket has been hidden away on sky since 2005 then its understandable how it does not resonate with the general public like tennis.