• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - England v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If a match can’t be decided in regular play or a super over it has to be a shared trophy! To me this is a factual ending to the tournament. Imagine a football World Cup final being a draw and in the penalty shoot our neither team was missing so we just said the team with more possession in the match wins. Would anyone think that’s truly acceptable?
Interesting idea should travel back in time and let the ICC know about it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
If a match can’t be decided in regular play or a super over it has to be a shared trophy! To me this is a factual ending to the tournament. Imagine a football World Cup final being a draw and in the penalty shoot our neither team was missing so we just said the team with more possession in the match wins. Would anyone think that’s truly acceptable?
No, but this is a facile comparison.

Adamsk45

Cricket Spectator
All I can say is New Zealand are a credit to the sporting world. It's a silly way to decide a game. Minute margins to say the least...and debatable deciding factors - with the number of boundaries. NZ played great cricket throughout this tournament, ( superhuman highlight reel in the field especially) and were immense today. From most people I spoke to here, NZ were a 2nd favourite team throughout the tournament. The team we would tune in to watch highlights of. I would have raised a glass to the black caps had they won. The level of sportsmanship with the despondent players (Kane Williamson took it on the chin like a gent and a man)... and on this forum...is a credit to New Zealand Sport. You guys deserved it, on another day would have won it, and I hope you taste it one day.

91Jmay

International Coach
They should have had another super over to be fair, say 3 super overs and then the team higher in standings wins it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
They should have had another super over to be fair, say 3 super overs and then the team higher in standings wins it.
May as well just have 3 finals imo. Or as many as it takes to get the result the people whining the loudest want.

Burner

International Regular
When they said that NZ would have lost if the game was tied, I thought it would be because of them finishing on top of NZ at the points table, and thought it was fair. IMO that's a lot fairer than the boundary shtick.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah England being awarded the game on the basis of finishing above NZ in the group stage, or on the basis that they had better NRR or that they won the group match would all be sensible ways to split a tie. So I can live with the result. But ****ing boundaries? Remember back in the 2014 FIFA world cup when the match finished a draw and they decided who won based on who had the most shots on goal? Of course you ****ing don’t!
Japan eliminated Senegal in 2018 because they got fewer yellow cards in the tournament.