• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fielding in slips

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Still watching the ball instead of the bat?

From what I've been told by the slippers I've played with, at second and beyond you have to watch the batsman, because of the greater angle; whilst at first you can watch the ball from the bowler's hand.
Could have sworn I said that. Do people have me on ignore? :p (doesnt wait for an answer)
Not all slips are the same.

At first slip it is possible to watch the ball. After that you need to watch the edge and ignore the ball until it is on its way to you.

If you are at 2nd slip - gully and you are watching the ball you will find it tough to catch.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Anyone used one of these?

Perfectly designed to defy all laws of nature by causing a gently-thrown ball to double in pace and fly directly towards the head of the nearest small child.
Used that before, so hard to hit though, most people miss.

Slips are there so the oldest and slowest bloke in the team (ie, me) has a place to stand for a few hours every second Saturday.
Haha, yeah, that's true, we always have this old bloke at slip in our games.

Yeah, exactly why these are so much better. And because you can move them around much more easily; use them in warmups and that.

Never used one of them, how do they go?

Jakester1288

International Regular
I'd like to bump this. Any tips about catching in the slips-gully? I want to move into there, got myself a crazy catch, I could get a katch it or the cradle thing, but I've got no one to do it with, so it would be a waste of money. Any tips and drills I can do on my own to imrpove my slips catching?

Jakester1288

International Regular
Does anyone reccomend forking out 90 odd bucks for the katchet? It's a little thing you throw the ball at and it comes off, like like slips catches apparently. I can only get my dad to throw it at me, and his time is limited with work and the like, but is it worth it?

Yes I know there has already been a post about it in this thread.