• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Field Hockey

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Unfortunately the absolutely highest you would consider hockey in Australia is behind:

Cricket
Afl
Soccer
NRL
Rugby
Netball

And probably basketball as well.

I'd seriously love for it to be regularly televised on fta.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
It's a trend for India when they play Australia in a high profile event, remember us losing with a very similar score in the commonwealth games too. We do okay against other teams, but Australia is quite the bogey team for us.
yeah it's not a new trend, it's like a decades-long habit that we haven't been able to kick...

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's a trend for India when they play Australia in a high profile event, remember us losing with a very similar score in the commonwealth games too. We do okay against other teams, but Australia is quite the bogey team for us.
At least Preeti Sabarwal & Co. beat them in the world cup final

Athlai

Not Terrible
Unfortunately the absolutely highest you would consider hockey in Australia is behind:

Cricket
Afl
Soccer
NRL
Rugby
Netball

And probably basketball as well.

I'd seriously love for it to be regularly televised on fta.
Nah its referring to India for the hockey and cricket for NZ.

Chubb

International Regular
It's not a *popular* sport anywhere though, even in India the majority if players come from a rather narrow state pool.
It's not the most popular sport in any country, but it is widely played across the world and when you consider mens and womens competitions are treated equally and playing numbers are roughly equal, it must have a broader base than several more popular sports.

The Malaysian hockey team for example is probably their best-performing international side. They're poor at every other team sport and they should really have got to these Olympics with the side they have.

srbhkshk

International Captain
It's not the most popular sport in any country, but it is widely played across the world and when you consider mens and womens competitions are treated equally and playing numbers are roughly equal, it must have a broader base than several more popular sports.

The Malaysian hockey team for example is probably their best-performing international side. They're poor at every other team sport and they should really have got to these Olympics with the side they have.
It is played widely across the world, but I don't think there's any playing field depth to it in any major country. India/Pak and Malaysia probably the closest.

Meridio

International Regular
Yeah Netherlands has huge depth in hockey, I'd say it would only be second to football over there. Far more popular than any other western nation I can think of, though in women's hockey I'd say Argentina comes close.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
New Zealand really putting up a strong challenge to Australia here.
That confirms it then. Hockey is the anti-cricket.

New Zealand standing up to Australia. India defeating New Zealand in a world competition. And Australia defeating India easily.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It is the 2003 WC all over again. We will make the finals looking like the second best team in the competition and then confirm it by getting smashed by the Aussies in the finals.