• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Field Hockey

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
yup, for several years now, Hockey is the reason im a right handed batsman, while left in everything else :')
enjoy it, but never really seriously tried and trained a lot to get really good, although some said I shouldve..enjoy cricket way more, and indoor cricket training is far more important to me then hockey training, hence I don't train much

i'm left/right defender/midfielder, last year I played as a striker a fair bit, scored 15 goals in a season, this year I started as defender, and now ive been playing left midfield a fair bit.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Ah good. Most of my peers take the piss, and call hockey a girls sport, it really pisses me off :dry: Some of the injuries I've had..........

What stick do you guys use, I have the Mercian Great Black Oxide . It's as heavy as hell, but good.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Used to play at school. Managed to snap a stick once playing a lovely cover drive to a ball someone had flicked up.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Played pretty seriously back in school for the first XI. Since I've finished school, I missed one season through injury and played one (this year) for a club team. Love the game though I'm not all that good at it. I score a hell of a lot of goals (play mainly on the wing)but I don't really have the greatest stickwork.

And yeah, I don't understand the impression of hockey as a poof game. It's insanely dangerous, far more so than football or rugby (though you're probably more likely to get hurt in rugby, hockey injuries tend to be really serious - those sticks and balls are hard).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
There's not many places I'd prefer less to be than running out of the goal box at a penalty corner. Surely you'd get smashed by the ball at times?

Any recorded deaths in hockey? Like, besides the odd heart attack from exertion.

Matteh

vic_orthdox said:
There's not many places I'd prefer less to be than running out of the goal box at a penalty corner. Surely you'd get smashed by the ball at times?

Any recorded deaths in hockey? Like, besides the odd heart attack from exertion.
When visiting the doctor once because of a hockey injury (someone confused my ankle with the ball and slammed his stick full on on it) she said that someone she knew had died from hockey as the stick made contact with just the wrong place on the temple area of the head.

Matteh

PhoenixFire said:
The only normal sport that is more dangerous than hockey, off the top of my head is rugby.
I'd have gone for cricket over rugby. The potential for broken bones is surely much higher?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Matteh said:
I'd have gone for cricket over rugby. The potential for broken bones is surely much higher?
Nah. Union's very dangerous, with proper scrums (saw this thing on BBC 2 about some guy who broke his back when one collapsed once) and those funny ruck things where everyone either dives in or stamps on some bugger who's in there. Lots of potential for injury.

Last edited:

Matteh

steds said:
Nah. Union's very dangerous, with proper scrums (saw this thing on BBC 2 about some guy who broke his back when one collapsed once) and those funny maul things where everyone either dives in or stamps on some bugger who's in there. Lots of potential for injury.
Mhmm i guess. When we first did rugby in year 7 i was put as a prop, got my neck wrenched everytime it went down, which was a lot. Gradually worked my way back through the scrum to being a number 8, where i could just pull out and look down at everyone on the floor. :cool:

Matteh

BoyBrumby said:
Tragically I was born without a uterus, so could never play Hockey.
You say that, but it's the manly looking women that always seem to play it.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Tragically I was born without a uterus, so could never play Hockey.
First, run out against the Australia Mens 1st XI at short corner first runner and tell me that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
PhoenixFire said:
First, run out against the Australia Mens 1st XI at short corner first runner and tell me that.

Pretty sure it doesn't matter where I say it. My uterus is sadly lacking.