• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Field Hockey

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah it's definitely possible to make schools better in rich countries if the rich and the poor had to share schools.

Run a lottery over which school in the city/town/village the rich kids get to attend. Quite quickly one *should* find all of them improving drastically.
No because what happens is the rich all then congregate on specific areas and as those schools get donations, it attracts more rich to the area and you end up with a two class school system anyway, except now the rich schools are publicly funded.

harsh.ag

No because what happens is the rich all then congregate on specific areas and as those schools get donations, it attracts more rich to the area and you end up with a two class school system anyway, except now the rich schools are publicly funded.
Yeah, that's why the lottery system would have to include a wide area range. Multiple neighbourhoods etc. to make sure poor neighbourhoods are included.

Even the rich can't go around converting multiple neighbourhoods into their enclaves every year.

stephen

Yeah, that's why the lottery system would have to include a wide area range. Multiple neighbourhoods etc. to make sure poor neighbourhoods are included.

Even the rich can't go around converting multiple neighbourhoods into their enclaves every year.
And then people have to travel long distance to send their kids to school. It's a bad solution to the problem.

harsh.ag

And then people have to travel long distance to send their kids to school. It's a bad solution to the problem.
If a poll was conducted, I suspect getting a better school would be muchhh higher on the priority list of poor parents than not having to arrange for their kids to travel a few extra miles (at most).

stephen

If a poll was conducted, I suspect getting a better school would be muchhh higher on the priority list of poor parents than not having to arrange for their kids to travel a few extra miles (at most).
Depends how densely populated and easily navigatable your area is. Some areas are physically close but hard to get to. A good example in Brisbane are the areas east of fortitude Valley. For most of the rest of Brisbane they're hard to get in and out of even if they're only a couple of km away.

I'm certainly glad my folks sent me to a private school than the local high school (it was relatively inexpensive but gave me way more opportunity than I would have gotten at the local high school). My local high school had some really bad problems. My next door neighbour for example was arrested on drug charges and possessing illegal guns (the cops got a lot of guns when they raided his place). My folks scrimped and saved and put me into the private school in which I flourished. I felt sorry for the kids who went through my local state school.

I realise that's just my story but I'm constantly thankful for my private education. Others I've known ended up home schooling to avoid state schools and were better off for it.

stephen

Sorry, I had to completely deal the thread after today's loss. I can't rely on the Chokeaburras to make it to the gold medal match.

Chubb

International Regular
A quite superb game between Belgium and India. The Belgians are my pick to take the gold and India pushed them all the way. Final score does not reflect how close it was until the middle of the 4th quarter.

Aritro

International Regular
A quite superb game between Belgium and India. The Belgians are my pick to take the gold and India pushed them all the way. Final score does not reflect how close it was until the middle of the 4th quarter.
How are the Belgians so good at field hockey of all things? There's about five people there and they already play football. Are they also randomly really into hockey?

Chubb

International Regular
How are the Belgians so good at field hockey of all things? There's about five people there and they already play football. Are they also randomly really into hockey?
I don't know the answer, but I guess it's quite popular there as it is in the Netherlands, and the sports development system that produced their golden generation football team did a similar job with hockey.

Meridio

International Regular
Yeah I don't ever remember Belgium even having a team growing up (I'm sure they did, they just weren't very good). I remember we had a Belgian exchange student over who played hockey in about 2004 or so, and I remember thinking that's weird, Belgium doesn't play hockey.

Then about eight years or so ago they had a cluster of young players come through, I think they'd done really well in age group European championships etc., and maybe they had a few good results at the 2012 Olympics, can't really remember. And they've just kept getting stronger and stronger, they were a bit unlucky not to win the last Olympics and they've looked superb whenever I've seen them in recent years. Think it's largely the result of a big focus on developing youth 10-15 years ago. The fact they're so close to the Netherlands and Germany helps with player development hugely too I think.

Chubb

International Regular
Aw man I scored a goal EXACTLY like that in the Wellington R3 Grand Final but it was disallowed for lifting the stick. And we lost.

stephen

Doesn't matter how many champions trophies we pick up, the Chokeaburras can't win an Olympic gold.