• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

favourite / least favourite cricket commentators

Belford said:
Lawsy is right. A high post count is the mark of the unemployable and/or the aimless drifter.

If you don't need to sleep, and you have more time on your hands than most, you should be helping out at the soup kitchen, or writing the first great novel of the 21st century, or learning Japanese, not haunting an internet forum making thousands of banal observations.

Your life is a gift to be seized with both hands, not trudged through, filling time in meaningless ways.
Bravo Belford! Bravo! I really couldnt have said it better myself. Like most of the unemployable, Richard's daily activities would no doubt consist of getting out of bed around 11, bowl of cerial while the computer is booting up (if it is even turned off at all), waste a few hours on the internet, afternoon snooze at about 2, get up around 6 for more snacks and internet until bed at around 2am.
Now this lifestyle is all very well if you are have the means to support it. But when you require the on-going assistence of the government to put food on the table it is unacceptable. Richard - I urge you to get out and take control of your life. Get out of the house, find a job and contribute to society. You will feel better about society and society will feel better about you.
Regards
John Laws CBE

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I HATE Dean Jones ... one of his worst moments was when he was going on about Australia being the holders of the Border-Gavaskar Trophy for five minutes in the recent series between Aus-Ind in India, and then Sanjay Manjraykar politely corrected him ... at least it shut him up for a while

twctopcat

International Regular
Copied this from a previous similar thread but i stand by it:

Richie - when he slows down when talking t-o r-e-a-l-l-y e-m-p-h-a-s-i-s-e a p-o-i-n-t. What a legend, the gandalf of cricket
David Lloyd - the exuberance and enthusiasm and lancastrian accent
Botham and Boycott - continents of common sense(most of the time)
Tony Greig - is becoming more like a cricket version of murray walker - "it's a six!! No he's out!!"
Michael Holding - that accent is so damn cool, bet he gets laid alot.

:D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Somerset said:
Favourites: Ian Smith, Mark Nicholas, Mark Taylor, Michael Slater's been interesting on this tour too, Channel 4's analysis man who's name doesn't come to mind...
Simon Hughes I think. :)

FWIW my favs are (in no particular order): Richie, Gower, Holding, Blofeld (I know a lotta people can't stand him, but his unique rum-flummery makes an English summer for me), Boycott, Ian Ward (the best of the new generation for my money), Tony Cozier & Navjot Sidhu (has a wonderful way with the mixed metaphor & now an Indian MP, apparently!).

Allan Donald shows a lotta promise, as does Nasser.

Marcus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Channel 4 commentators are the best in the game, Sky though has some of the worst. Botham contracdicts so much that its laughable. He is so awful to listen to at times i feel like head butting the cat......its a shame when Channel 4 lose the rights that we will have to listen to him more :@

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
John Laws CBE said:
Bravo Belford! Bravo! I really couldnt have said it better myself. Like most of the unemployable, Richard's daily activities would no doubt consist of getting out of bed around 11, bowl of cerial while the computer is booting up (if it is even turned off at all), waste a few hours on the internet, afternoon snooze at about 2, get up around 6 for more snacks and internet until bed at around 2am.
Now this lifestyle is all very well if you are have the means to support it. But when you require the on-going assistence of the government to put food on the table it is unacceptable. Richard - I urge you to get out and take control of your life. Get out of the house, find a job and contribute to society. You will feel better about society and society will feel better about you.
Regards
John Laws CBE
It really is amusing reading this uneducated garbage from someone who knows sod-all and makes such sweeping assumptions.
I think I'll report these 2 posts - just to see if it's derogatory enough.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A couple more came to mind; Sanjay Manjrekar is hilarious and very insightful. I like him as a commentator very much as well as Harsha Bogle. And (surprisingly) when Tony Greg is talking seriously and not trying to be over the top or spruik his latest wall mount, he's also quite insightful. Been surprised on so many occasions.

username1234

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
the WHOLE NZ commentary team, theyre worst than Lawry when it comes to bias
wtf the nz commentary team more bias then the aussie one? please tell me your joking the australian commentary team is the most bias out of any sport's commentry's that i have ever herd. The only nz commentator i find bias is martin crowe.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
username1234 said:
wtf the nz commentary team more bias then the aussie one? please tell me your joking the australian commentary team is the most bias out of any sport's commentry's that i have ever herd. The only nz commentator i find bias is martin crowe.
Good for you...

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
username1234 said:
the nz commentary team is the least bias i have ever heard

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Surprising to find Ravi Shastri's name in many of the 'best' lists. He's excessively biased towards a certain Ajit Agarkar. Nehra bowled rubbish in a match in Bangalore, and Shaz said his inclusion was baffling, but when put up had a slightly-better-than-terrible performance, and scored a few runs which meant nothing, he said it was foolish to leave him out of an ODI side. In a match where the Indians struggled to get a bonus point, Harbhajan played a needless rash shot to get out, after which Shaz castigated him, but when Agarkar played a foolish, near-impossible shot when the Indians lost a match in Dhaka, he said nothing!

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
username1234 said:
What about Ian Smith? I don't care too much when commentators are biased, but I feel it takes a bit a way from the value they might otherwise have as a reader of the game. Great commentators, like Richie for example, call the play on its merits rather than as a fan of any particular side. Plenty of both the channel 9 Australian bunch and the New Zealand commentary team do the opposite, and Ian Smith is the worst of the lot (along with Bill Lawry, perhaps).

bhajji24

Banned
Arjun said:
Surprising to find Ravi Shastri's name in many of the 'best' lists. He's excessively biased towards a certain Ajit Agarkar. Nehra bowled rubbish in a match in Bangalore, and Shaz said his inclusion was baffling, but when put up had a slightly-better-than-terrible performance, and scored a few runs which meant nothing, he said it was foolish to leave him out of an ODI side. In a match where the Indians struggled to get a bonus point, Harbhajan played a needless rash shot to get out, after which Shaz castigated him, but when Agarkar played a foolish, near-impossible shot when the Indians lost a match in Dhaka, he said nothing!
for once arjun i agree with you ravi shastri is **** & for me the most boring & dull commetator around;morever his jealousy for ganguly's success is evident :D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
bhajji24 said:
for once arjun i agree with you ravi shastri is **** & for me the most boring & dull commetator around;morever his jealousy for ganguly's success is evident :D
I endorse that.

I am amazed at Shastri being a popular commentator. His language is ordinary and at times poor, his knowledge of the game (insights and analytical ability) nothing to write home about, his bias for all Bombay players disgusting and his arrogance totally misplaced.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
richie benaud. dont think ive ever heard someone who sounds so comfortable, natural and knowledgeable.