• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

fastest bowler ever?

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
What is surprising with fast bowling is that people aren't bowling any faster than they did 70 years ago.

Frank Tyson was as quick in the 1950s as anyone bowls today.

You'd think with better diet, better conditioning, better analysis of technique, speeds would have progressed.

Also you'd think that as nearly all sportsmen are generally bigger, fitter and faster than their predecessors, bowlers would bowl quicker but they don't.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
What is surprising with fast bowling is that people aren't bowling any faster than they did 70 years ago.

You'd think with better diet, better conditioning, better analysis of technique, speeds would have progressed.

Also you'd think that as nearly all sportsmen are generally bigger, fitter and faster than their predecessors, bowlers would bowl quicker but they don't.
Really?

smash84

The Tiger King

Seems doubtful. Fitness standards and average speeds have gone up over time in general.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah it's kind of easy to overlook it's been nearly 20 years since he clocked that ball and no one has come along since and bested it.

smash84

The Tiger King
But the top not so much. Thommo and Roberts in the late 70s were measured at 160.45 and 159.49 respectively while Akhtar in 2003 measure at 161.3. And since then nobody has done better.
Which Roberts are you talking about? And Lee was around about close to Akhtar in pace. Only Thommo was one freak back in the day.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Those who doubt the speed of Tyson and others from a previous era are overlooking a couple of factors.

While it is true that fitness standards, diet etc have improved over the decades, modern coaching techniques include a focus on techniques which are aimed at protecting players from certain back injuries. I recall Jeff Thomson talking abouthis son Matt's bowling. Matt was initially taught to bowl fast by Thommo and had an ambition to follow in his father's footsteps. After one of his many talk tours Thommo returned home and was aghast at Matt's new action - an action that coaches had told Matt would extend his career and protect his back.
I still regard Frank Tyson as the fastest bowler in my lifetime but his career was shortened by injuries related to his action. Quicks who have enjoyed lengthy careers have rarely sustained or approached the speeds of Tyson, Thomson, Lillee (another who suffered back problems) and Akhtar.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular

smash84

The Tiger King
Andy Roberts.

Gavaskar rated him the fastest. Thommo was fast but he wasn't alone.

Almost everyone who faced Holding and Roberts thought Holding was quicker. The 1979 study shows all pretty lower than the earlier studies. I am not sure how accurate the 1975 study was.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Almost everyone who faced Holding and Roberts thought Holding was quicker. The 1979 study shows all pretty lower than the earlier studies. I am not sure how accurate the 1975 study was.
Like who? Gavaskar said Robersts was quicker and i'm going to take his words over others.

Why is 75 study inaccurate but 79 study is not?

smash84

The Tiger King
Like who? Gavaskar said Robersts was quicker and i'm going to take his words over others.

Why is 75 study inaccurate but 79 study is not?
Errr, you do know what Gavaskar had to say about the West Indies don't you?

I find it interesting that all the bowlers in 1975 had dropped about 10 to 12 km/h in the 1979 study. I find that a bit odd tstl. One would expect the later technology to be more accurate.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Errr, you do know what Gavaskar had to say about the West Indies don't you?

I find it interesting that all the bowlers in 1975 had dropped about 10 to 12 km/h in the 1979 study. I find that a bit odd tstl. One would expect the later technology to be more accurate.
why?

DriveClub

International Regular
Don’t think there’s any point in bowling at 160kph, another pointless record. Why risk your career trying to maintain unsustainable speeds. Shaun tait must have come pretty close to 160 at some point. If you can bowl 140-150 consistently that’s more than enough

smash84

The Tiger King
Don’t think there’s any point in bowling at 160kph, another pointless record. Why risk your career trying to maintain unsustainable speeds. Shaun tait must have come pretty close to 160 at some point. If you can bowl 140-150 consistently that’s more than enough
I think Shaun Tait was very close to Shoaibs record and so was Brett Lee. It's stupid and meaningless record but this thread is about fastest ever and so relevant in this context.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dodginess of speed guns aside, I'm sure Tait clocked 160 more than a few times

When he did get on the park he was quite comfortably consistently quicker than Lee, and possibly Shoaib as well

He was also consistently much less accurate and available to play

Xix2565

International Debutant
Kind of overlooks the point that the human body is not designed to be a bowler. Especially a fast bowler like the current topic. It's not sheer coincidence that people get injured nowadays even with all the help available to prevent or reduce the effects of such injuries that can hinder their careers.