• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

fastest bowler ever?

Kirkut

International Regular
Both had that slingy javelin throw thing going for them. Definitely harder to pick than Lee and Holding. Marshall's quick arm must've been a nightmare too.
Marshall was more like Steyn than Akhtar/Lee. Steyn never needed to break bones, he swung it late at brisk speeds and bowled out batting line ups. Marshall also bowled inswing which Steyn never had.

FBU

International Debutant

7 fastest balls bowled in international cricket

1 Shoaib Akhtar 100.2mph
2 Shaun Tait 100.1mph
3 Brett Lee 100.1mph
4 Mitchell Starc 99.7mph
5 Andy Roberts 99.1mph
6 Fidel Edwards 98.0mph
7 Mitchell Johnson 97.4mph

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wouldn't put any stock in those speed gun numbers personally

though I dare say the top 3 are who you would expect them to be

smash84

The Tiger King

1 Shoaib Akhtar 100.2mph
2 Shaun Tait 100.1mph
3 Brett Lee 100.1mph
4 Mitchell Starc 99.7mph
5 Andy Roberts 99.1mph
6 Fidel Edwards 98.0mph
Andy Roberts at 99.1 and no thommo?

Burgey

1 Shoaib Akhtar 100.2mph
2 Shaun Tait 100.1mph
3 Brett Lee 100.1mph
4 Mitchell Starc 99.7mph
5 Andy Roberts 99.1mph
6 Fidel Edwards 98.0mph
Thomson was clocked at 99.7 vs West Indies in 1976. I don't know how accurate that speed is, though it's probably as accurate as Roberts'.

Burgey

There's no way Starc bowled a 99.7 mph
It's probably as accurate as Lee's fastest, which frankly looked like a medium paced half tracker compared to a lot of balls he bowled. The batsman had about a year and a half to decide whether or not to leave it.

Kirkut

International Regular
The speed gun charm wore off for me after Michael Clarke's 329* against us. It was painful to watch Ishant and Umesh Yadav averaging 144 k's yet getting carted away like county trundlers.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The speed gun charm wore off for me after Michael Clarke's 329* against us. It was painful to watch Ishant and Umesh Yadav averaging 144 k's yet getting carted away like county trundlers.
Tbf I don't think an attack of Marshall, Hadlee, Ambrose and Murali would have stopped Clarke back then. Bloke was in the form of his life.

Kirkut

International Regular
Tbf I don't think an attack of Marshall, Hadlee, Ambrose and Murali would have stopped Clarke back then. Bloke was in the form of his life.
That's a bit of a stretch. But yes, he did score a gun 151 on a difficult track against a South African attack at it's prime.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
It's probably as accurate as Lee's fastest, which frankly looked like a medium paced half tracker compared to a lot of balls he bowled. The batsman had about a year and a half to decide whether or not to leave it.
That bouncer he bowls to Sachin where it jags back in towards his head as he ducks but then gets bat on it - speed gun says 142. It looked WAY WAY faster than a lot of balls that go 150+.

Burgey

Yeah, though tbh Clarke's god mode is up there with about anyone else but Lara's since I've been watching.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
We always seem to run into one Aussie batsman in God mode though whe we play over there, except 2008 and 2018. 2003 it was Ponting. 2011, I think it was both Ponting and Clarke. 2015 it was Smith and Clarke for the first test I guess.