• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fake IPL Player - Very interesting blog

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
From the wikipedia:

Lalit Modi was charged and pleaded guilty to possession of 400 grams of cocaine, assault and kidnapping in 1985 while he was a student at Duke University, USA. He pleaded guilty on all charges and was sentenced to two years in prison. However, he did not serve any prison time and came back to India in 1986 after being released on probation.

In 2007 a PIL was filed in Mumbai High court challenging his position in BCCI on pretext of his criminal history. Though the court refused to unseat Modi, it asked the BCCI "to implement stringent regulatory measures so that those involved in criminal cases, not just illegal drugs but other serious charges have no place in administration".

I can tell you right now that 400g of cocaine is not for personal consumption, unless you're Tony Montana packing for a year long expedition. Does this mean he can't ever go back to America? Those lucky Yanky bastards.

God I hate Modi.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
More importantly than the cocaine charges, which I don't give a crap about - what's up with assault and kidnapping?

Anyway, Modi has been good for Indian cricket. Better than Dalmiya - much, much better.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Ok he did something wrong 25 years ago, so what ?
Are you serious? :-O Kidnap, assault? Are these things you'd want someone in charge to have done? Especially someone who never atoned for them because he ran away back to India? Do you think these things speak highly of his character? Sanz I believe you may have accidently put on some rose tinted specatcles.

Let me put it his way, now you know that would you be totally comfortable with him around your kids?

P.S. if he'd committed those offences in the UK there is no way in hell he wouldn't have served time, unlike the good old US Justice system.

Last edited:

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
From the wikipedia:

Lalit Modi was charged and pleaded guilty to possession of 400 grams of cocaine, assault and kidnapping in 1985 while he was a student at Duke University, USA. He pleaded guilty on all charges and was sentenced to two years in prison. However, he did not serve any prison time and came back to India in 1986 after being released on probation.

In 2007 a PIL was filed in Mumbai High court challenging his position in BCCI on pretext of his criminal history. Though the court refused to unseat Modi, it asked the BCCI "to implement stringent regulatory measures so that those involved in criminal cases, not just illegal drugs but other serious charges have no place in administration".

I can tell you right now that 400g of cocaine is not for personal consumption, unless you're Tony Montana packing for a year long expedition. Does this mean he can't ever go back to America? Those lucky Yanky bastards.

God I hate Modi.
One of his dealers may have pocketed some cash or one of his clients may not have paid up for the goods........hence the kidnapping and assault.

Sanz & SS......you're feeling rather good today....................to forgive a former drug dealer.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sanz & SS......you're feeling rather good today....................to forgive a former drug dealer.
I don't give a crap about drugs. That's the most ridiculous 'crime' ever.

I'm very interested in the kidnapping and assault though.....:laugh:

masterblaster

International Captain
I don't give a crap about drugs. That's the most ridiculous 'crime' ever.

I'm very interested in the kidnapping and assault though.....:laugh:
Horrible attitude there. Having near half a kilogram of coke on you is a serious offence. What if he had sold those drugs on the street? How many of those drugs that he sold would've found their way into the hands of kids? Drug dealers are part of the reason why the world is ****ed up the way that it is.

As far as Lalit Modi is concerned, I didn't know about this before but if this is true it just accentuates the stereotype that Indian administrators whether they hold political positions or executive positions in high profile organisations are all just ****ing crooks.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Horrible attitude there. Having near half a kilogram of coke on you is a serious offence. What if he had sold those drugs on the street? How many of those drugs that he sold would've found their way into the hands of kids? Drug dealers are part of the reason why the world is ****ed up the way that it is.
Irrelevant - I'd be happy to have this debate with you in Off Topic if you prefer.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Are you serious? :-O Kidnap, assault? Are these things you'd want someone in charge to have done? Especially someone who never atoned for them because he ran away back to India? Do you think these things speak highly of his character? Sanz I believe you may have accidently put on some rose tinted specatcles.
First of all, Please do not accuse me putting on 'rose tinted spectacles' . I am no fan of Modi and unlike many others do not think he is any special. IMO, He is at the right place at right time., whether it is good for Indian/World Cricket, Time will tell.

Secondly, I would like to know the full truth before making an assumption about any individual. Besides I am not denying that he didn't do any of that, he probably did as do many kids when they are young, they recognize their mistake, learn from it and do better things in life. I am all for giving second chances in life.

Let me put it his way, now you know that would you be totally comfortable with him around your kids?
What a moronic suggestion/Question. What has that got to do with kids. First of all he is a stranger, I wouldn't be comfortable with Gandhi around my kids. Let me tell you one thing, when it comes to my kids I do not trust anyone except their mother (and my wife), not even friends, not even my blood relatives.

P.S. if he'd committed those offences in the UK there is no way in hell he wouldn't have served time, unlike the good old US Justice system.
Oh my freaking God, Now the imperialists of the world who looted and plundered the whole world for 100s of years, committed genocides after genocides are going to claim that they are the new leaders of Justice in the modern world. Please do not even get me started on this.

CDAK

U19 Debutant
Somebody says (with some authority) that the blogger is RanaDeb Bose (a pacer from Bengal who never got a chance to make in the final 11, but still with the team). I already have 2 guesses :unsure::unsure:. But this one is a little more convincing.
I also think there's a chance;
reasons:
1) the details in the introductory blog match to him most, than Akash:huh:
2)DADA supporter
2) Most of the comments are on pace bowlers.
3) He was heard to be making such frustrated comments, before, on BCCI for spoiling his career. ( This frustration may be reason for envying Sreesanth (using abusive nick-name only to him, while he is not even playing)).:@

(but i'm not sure about his grip in this style of writing. )

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Somebody says (with some authority) that the blogger is RanaDeb Bose (a pacer from Bengal who never got a chance to make in the final 11, but still with the team).
Of so first it was a Bong journo and it is a Bong player ? Why dont you give a rest to your pathetic assumptions. This individual with some authority who is feeding you this information is a moron and you are even a bigger one for believing it.

FYI, Ranadeb Bose is playing for Kings XI and not KR.

Cricinfo - Indian Premier League 2009 - Kings XI Punjab

Cricinfo - 11th match: Royal Challengers Bangalore v Kings XI Punjab at Durban, Apr 24, 2009

CDAK

U19 Debutant
Of so first it was a Bong journo and it is a Bong player ? Why dont you give a rest to your pathetic assumptions. This individual with some authority who is feeding you this information is a moron and you are even a bigger one for believing it.

Cricinfo - 11th match: Royal Challengers Bangalore v Kings XI Punjab at Durban, Apr 24, 2009
:mellow::mellow: Sorry, it's a big mistake! Thanks for the info.

pasag

RTDAS

Stop with the insults please.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Somebody says (with some authority) that the blogger is RanaDeb Bose (a pacer from Bengal who never got a chance to make in the final 11, but still with the team). I already have 2 guesses :unsure::unsure:. But this one is a little more convincing.
I also think there's a chance;
reasons:
1) the details in the introductory blog match to him most, than Akash:huh:
2)DADA supporter
2) Most of the comments are on pace bowlers.
3) He was heard to be making such frustrated comments, before, on BCCI for spoiling his career. ( This frustration may be reason for envying Sreesanth (using abusive nick-name only to him, while he is not even playing)).:@

(but i'm not sure about his grip in this style of writing. )
I believe its a journo who is being fed info by a member of the team and it could be anyone a player or backroom staff.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Besides I am not denying that he didn't do any of that, he probably did as do many kids when they are young, they recognize their mistake, learn from it and do better things in life. I am all for giving second chances in life.

Sanz as someone who's had a fair amount of involvment with drugs in his life I can tell you that 400g of coke isn't kids experimenting or getting mixed up with 'the wrong crowd'. 400g has a street value of £15000-20000 in the UK today, does that sound like something the average college student get's hold of? Even if he was caught with that amount in the US today he'd be looking at some serious time, that's a lot more than street level dealers ever carry, he was clearly pretty deeply involved in some illegal activity. Kidnap and assault? KIDNAP! So he abducted someone and beat the crap out of them when he was in college, people change but they don't change that much. There are some mistake's that are big enough that they should damage you for the rest of your life, these are some of them. You can't become a doctor or a lawyer after one DUI or drunk and disorderly charge, you'd think being a convicted violent kidnapping drug dealer wouldn't let you get into such a position of power, think about how many livelihoods he has affected.

CDAK

U19 Debutant
Upon analyzing, I feel RDB is more probable than anyone else.
Yes; he is in Punjab kings and that's y he is able to move without getting caught!! All his bengal renij-mates are in KKR; so easy tips from there to write on them. Important point: he is commenting too much about Kings11 players than any other team's. It also shows why he is over concerned about sreesanth's presence in the team.