• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Expeditious Draft- real quick

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
WG Grace
-
Rohan Kanhai
Martin Crowe
Frank Worrell
Imran Khan
Adam Gilchrist
Kapil Dev
Shaun Pollock
Allan Donald
Hedley Verity

Criteria 1- You must select at least one player from each of the following nations:

- Australia - Gilchrist
- England - Grace, Verity
- West Indies - Kanhai, Worrell
- Pakistan - Imran
- India - Kapil
- South Africa - Pollock, Donald
- New Zealand - Crowe

Criteria 2- You must select at least one player from each of the following eras (meaning player played at least one test in the era)

- From the beginning until 1914 - Grace
- 1915 - 1945 - Verity
- 1945 - 1965 - Worrell
- 1965 - 1985 - Imran
- 1985- now - Gilchrist

Hope all that is correct.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
As much as i should tick pak of the list i need a genuinely quick bowler to complement Barnes, so Larwood it will be. Also strengthens my tail significantly.

Herbert Sutcliffe
Stewie Dempster
Hashim Amla
Vijay Hazare
Garfield Sobers
-
Alan Knott
Harold Larwood
Denis Lillee
SF Barnes
Murali
I would personally probably bat Sobers ahead of Vijay. Without the excessive bowling load, 4 was his ideal batting position.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
I'm amazed that they lasted as long as they did. Even for an 8 man draft lasting until R8/R9 is unexpected.
Dwelt on this a while and came to the opposite conclusion. Between the eight of us we only require 24 quicks. Lindwall being somewhat under rated on here, would just squeeze into the top 20 (though i would have him higher). Add the Bonds and Cowies picked to meet the criteria and he gets squeezed further down a bit. After the standard two quicks to start off with, the average drafter would pick a third seamer close to the close, so it works out about right, although tbf Lindwall was on my mind from about round 6.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
01. Sunil Gavaskar^
02. Glenn Turner
03. Ricky Ponting^
04. Graeme Pollock
05. Inzamam ul-Haq^
06. Charles Macartney[SUP]5[/SUP]
08. Malcolm Marshall[SUP]1[/SUP]
09. Fred Trueman[SUP]2[/SUP]
10. Sir Anderson Roberts[SUP]3[/SUP]
11. William O'Reilly[SUP]4[/SUP]

watson

Banned
Going to step outside my comfort zone here and choose a new bloke - someone who can drop anchor so all those other attacking players can do their thing......

Geoff Boycott

That leaves me an Indian spinner to pick for R11, and there's about a million of those.

01. Gordon Greenidge
02. Geoff Boycott
03. Viv Richards
04. Javed Miandad
05. Clive Lloyd*
06. Aubrey Faulkner
07. Les Ames+
08. Richard Hadlee
09. Alan Davidson
10. Michael Holding

(Interestingly, I have no recollection of choosing Boycott, Richards, Miandad, Faulkner, Ames, or Davidson in a Draft before. So this Draft makes a nice change)

Last edited:

watson

Banned
R9
Kyear- Inzamam
Ohno- Hashim Amla
aldo- Allan Donald
Watson- Clive Lloyd
Monk- VVS Laxman
spikey - Kumar Sangakkara
coronis - Everton Weekes
saintkopite - Wilfred Rhodes

R10
saintkopite - can pick
kyear[ - Andy Roberts
ohno - Harold Larwood
aldo - Hedley Verity
watson - Geoff Boycott
monk - Go for it
spikey
coronis

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Going to step outside my comfort zone here and choose a new bloke - someone who can drop anchor so all those other attacking players can do their thing......

Geoff Boycott

That leaves me an Indian spinner to pick for R11, and there's about a million of those.

01. Gordon Greenidge
02. Geoff Boycott
03. Viv Richards
04. Javed Miandad
05. Clive Lloyd*
06. Aubrey Faulkner
07. Les Ames+
08. Richard Hadlee
09. Alan Davidson
10. Michael Holding
Lol. Exactly. Fred currently in the midst of a three part series to help you on your way.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Steve Waugh. Just sneaks into the 65-85 clause by the barest margin. Just need an early era bowler now...

Monk'sXI

Len Hutton
Bruce Mitchell
Brian Lara
VVS Laxman
Steve Waugh
AB DeVilliers
Chris Cairns
-
Ray Lindwall
Waqar Younis
Glenn McGrath

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Two excellent picks this late guys. Easy choice for Monk in the next as well.

Great looking team Monk.

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
Thoughts?

1. Vijay Merchant.
2. Matthew Hayden.
3. Greg Chappell.
4. Sachin Tendulkar.
5. Jacques Kallis.
6. Allan Border.
7. Keith Miller.
9. Wilfred Rhodes.
10. Wasim Akram.
11. Joel Garner.

watson

Banned
Two excellent picks this late guys. Easy choice for Monk in the next as well.

Great looking team Monk.
Funnily enough Laxman opened more often than he batted at 4. But he did bat there on 11 occasions and averaged 50.00 with a top score of 140.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Funnily enough Laxman opened more often than he batted at 4. But he did bat there on 11 occasions and averaged 50.00 with a top score of 140.
Laxman is the prototype number 4 batsman. If only it wasn't for Ten Dollar Carl's unwillingness to bat at 3.

watson

Banned
Thoughts?

1. Vijay Merchant.
2. Matthew Hayden.
3. Greg Chappell.
4. Sachin Tendulkar.
5. Jacques Kallis.
6. Allan Border.
7. Keith Miller.
9. Wilfred Rhodes.
10. Wasim Akram.
11. Joel Garner.
The inverse of Monks team with a lineup that bats to eternity. Just out of interest, who is the alpha male in the bowling attack?

watson

Banned
Laxman is the prototype number 4 batsman. If only it wasn't for Ten Dollar Carl's unwillingness to bat at 3.
Laxman batted a lot at No.3 and should have stayed there IMO. Dravid was a 'Rock', but first-drop demands someone more dynamic like VVS.

Last edited: