• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English off-season 13/14

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Sehwag & Murali to lead MCC

MCC squad for champions match against Durham in UAE + T20 competition(pre season friendlies)

Virender Sehwag India - captain
Muttiah Muralitharan Sri Lanka - captain (T20 fixtures only)
Sam Robson Middlesex & England Lions
Luis Reece Lancashire (ex-Leeds/Bradford MCCU)
Daniel Bell-Drummond Kent
Samit Patel Nottinghamshire & England
Prassana Jayawardene Sri Lanka
Ollie Rayner Middlesex & England Lions
Andre Adams Nottinghamshire
Harry Gurney Nottinghamshire & England (ex-Leeds/Bradford MCCU)
Kyle Hogg Lancashire
Monty Panesar Essex & England

Little stronger that I can remember in recent years.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well Taylor simply has to make the test side this summer with only Bell a certainty for the 3-6 positions (Stokes will play but may drop down the order depending on the make up of the side) as he always scores runs and gets big hundreds when in.

I'd go for Bell, Taylor, Ballance, Stokes and Prior as my 3-7.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well if he is picked as a spinner then I guess you play him at 6 and shuffle others down the order and go with Broad, Anderson and Onions as pacemen with Stokes as all rounder. That I could just about live with but is his bowling any better than Fatit Patel's who you wouldn't use in the same way at home.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well if he is picked as a spinner then I guess you play him at 6 and shuffle others down the order and go with Broad, Anderson and Onions as pacemen with Stokes as all rounder. That I could just about live with but is his bowling any better than Fatit Patel's who you wouldn't use in the same way at home.
Well, that's what we're all advocating, because we don't see who you can pick as a spinner ATM.

Yes, I think over the last two seasons, and in A team games he's shown that he is a much better spinner than Samit. Younger, Fitter, bowls a doosra. His overall record is a bit of a misnomer, he's radically improved.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think with the way Stokes has started his career that he's earnt some sort of a run at #6. If I was going to pick Moeen as the "best overall package as a spin option" or whatever that selection would be (which I'm not exactly against) then I think I'd just stick him at eight really, or seven if Prior didn't do anything to reclaim his place with the keeper at eight. If he's not good enough to justify his place in the side unless he's batting in the top six then he shouldn't be playing AFAIC.

Pothas

I might just stick Prior at 8, think he would be the bes suited of the 3 to bat there, not really that different to batting at 7.

grecian

I think with the way Stokes has started his career that he's earnt some sort of a run at #6. If I was going to pick Moeen as the "best overall package as a spin option" or whatever that selection would be (which I'm not exactly against) then I think I'd just stick him at eight really, or seven if Prior didn't do anything to reclaim his place with the keeper at eight. If he's not good enough to justify his place in the side unless he's batting in the top six then he shouldn't be playing AFAIC.
TBF I'm really not sure about the batting order, I think a lot depends on where the batsmen want to bat themselves. Originally I thought Moeen would slot at 3, Trott of course will be there if ready to play.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Regardless of how his England career goes, Woakes is going to end up with some awesome FC stats. More runs today and averages over 40 with the bat now along with 25 with the ball

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Darren Stevens cleared of not reporting a corrupt approach. Doug the rug Bollinger signed for Kent recently as well. So two good pieces of news for kent. Thakor gonna miss the start of the season for Leicestershire.

Fwiw my two England teams for the summer tests.

Cook, Root, Taylor, Bell, Ballance, Ali, Stokes, Prior, Broad, Onions, Anderson

or

Cook, Root, Taylor, Bell, Balance, Stokes, Prior, Woakes, Broad, Anderson, Panesar

Pothas

Trott to start the season with Warwickshire. Expect him to be at number 3 come the first test against Sri Lanka.