• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2024

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Harry Finch given out LBW when he was well outside the line. All 3 stumps were visible.

I've seen some umpiring shockers in my time but this was really bad.
Maybe the ump was keen to get the game over with before the predicted rain arrives, rather than dodging the showers for the rest of the afternoon. And it was an odd shot for Finch to be playing in the circumstances.

Beyond all that, yet another failure for Crawley. Take away his double against Somerset, and he's averaging about 9 for the season.

FBU

International Debutant
Hopefully for the 1st Test the wicket will be a bit different from the one Middx/Sussex are playing on at Lords. Over 1113 runs and nothing happening.

...ended with 1167 runs

Last edited:

Tom Flint

International Regular
Middlesex quietly having a decent season despite signing basically no one and being skint, du plooy replacing malan our only change I can think of. Picking up batting points consistently.

Reactions: FBU

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He generally has only really bowled in helpful conditions. Has spent most of his career trying generally unsuccessfuly to be an opening batsman. Really showing signs now that he could be a frontline bowler though.
Whenever I see him on a scorecard now I think of this post you made last year:

Felix Organ just one of my favourite cricketers. Opening bat who averaged about 4 this season and now being picked as a second spinner who doesn't bowl all that much. Now batting at 8 and is 58 not out from 169 balls but has hit 3 sixes. So much to love.

Blenkinsop

U19 Vice-Captain
Harry Finch given out LBW when he was well outside the line. All 3 stumps were visible.

Joey Evison got a howler as well, that ball would barely have hit a second set of stumps down the leg side.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He is just great. Generally being picked as a second spinner now but still batted at 3 last week (made 5 runs in the match.)
and a name straight out of a Carry on film, played by Charles Hawtrey probably.

HeathDavisSpeed

Wonder when we'll find out about the penalty for Khushi's bat size. Seems to be taking a while even though I'd suggest it's an open and shut case. Anyway, this week's results have opened up the 1st division again. Can't be a bad thing as it had been looking like a procession.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Wonder when we'll find out about the penalty for Khushi's bat size. Seems to be taking a while even though I'd suggest it's an open and shut case. Anyway, this week's results have opened up the 1st division again. Can't be a bad thing as it had been looking like a procession.
Apparently on some Wisden podcast it was suggested that gauge was faulty and there will be no punishment.

Having seen what a bat gauge looks like I'm confused as to how it can be faulty. Durham got their deduction 3 weeks after the offense and it's been a lot longer for yourselves. Putting 2 and 2 together id imagine no punishment will come.

HeathDavisSpeed

Having seen what a bat gauge looks like I'm confused as to how it can be faulty. Durham got their deduction 3 weeks after the offense and it's been a lot longer for yourselves. Putting 2 and 2 together id imagine no punishment will come.
Hmmm. I really feel for the sake of transparency there should be some kind of formal announcement about this. Either acknowledging the gauge was wrong (though I'm as confused as you are at that possibility - perhaps using the wrong gauge entirely?) or pronouncing punishment.

Hungry Llama

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
CC takes a break for 26 days just as it gets interesting. Essex leading Surrey by 2 pts, winning despite Cooks
injury, and hopefully the break will allow him to recover. Stokes could do with some batting practice now,
maybe a stint with the 2nds or a league team?

HeathDavisSpeed

Oh dear. Yeah, shocker that. Like the old school umpiring where you could be given out on the basis of playing a non-traditional shot. That's just not cricket, sir!

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I honestly don't think that was ever very likely, and I also think that the division is more competitive than we're told by some people. We both know that Essex are capable of beating Surrey when they meet; they're a really good side. And yet Somerset beat them and drew with Surrey. Clearly Hampshire are going to be very competitive now that they've got into their stride. Durham look competitive, and Worcestershire gave Surrey a heck of a fright in the previous round of matches. Go back 12 months, and Lancashire thrashed Surrey at the Oval and we needed to score over 500 in the fourth innings to beat Kent. Notts' bowling attack looks dangerous if they get enough of them on the park. Who does that leave? Warwickshire usually go OK don't they? And iirc it's not so many years since they won the thing, or maybe it was some covid version of the CC. Don't get me wrong, I think the current top 2 are favourites but it's going to be competitive. As always, it will be affected by who's available, the weather, how often some of the sides play each other and the form of key individuals.

Last edited:

chris.hinton

International Captain
Tables (7 games)

Division 1

1. Surrey 115

2. Essex 113

3. Somerset 99

4. Hampshire 85

5. Durham 83

6. Nottinghamshire 79

7. Warwickshire 77

8. Worcestershire 70

=======================

9. Lancashire 64

10. Kent 61

Division 2

1. Sussex 109

2. Middlesex 101

===================

3. Leicestershire 92

4. Gloucestershire 90

5. Northamptonshire 83

6. Glamorgan 80

7. Yorkshire 77

8. Derbyshire 70

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone know a bar in Christchurch, Barbados showing Lancs smashing Durham? Thanks
I do, but apparently it closes at 23.00 local time so you won't get to see much of the match.

Anyway, enjoy yourself mate. You'll be pleased to hear that it's still pissing it down here in Blighty.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We doing a separate thread for the blast or just in here? Can’t remember what we normally do

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
We doing a separate thread for the blast or just in here? Can’t remember what we normally do
I have no idea what we've done in the past, but I'd suggest we use this one as the CC is effectively suspended during the first block of Blast games.