• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2024

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tom Lammonby having a surprisingly good start to the season. Banton too, will these seemingly ever-promising guys finally start delivering consistently?

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Match Report - SUR vs HANTS 17th Match, April 26 - 29, 2024 - Surrey match-winner Dan Worrall 'ready' should England call come (espncricinfo.com) No matter how well he's bowled in county cricket, I could not think of a more unethical selection. I know there have been blokes bought up in Australia (such as Craig White, Martin McCague, Alan Mullally and the Australian born/English educated Hollioakes) but this would be a different level. A
Speaking from an Australian point of view, I hate this every bit as much as you do. Would be absolutely taking the piss to see him playing for England.

Can't actually see it happening though. He's 32 (will be 33 by the time it is a possibility), is definitely half a yard slower than he was at his peak here in Australia and isn't exactly someone with a clean injury history throughout his career either

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Speaking from an Australian point of view, I hate this every bit as much as you do. Would be absolutely taking the piss to see him playing for England.

Can't actually see it happening though. He's 32 (will be 33 by the time it is a possibility), is definitely half a yard slower than he was at his peak here in Australia and isn't exactly someone with a clean injury history throughout his career either
I would be surprised too. Just don't much like the principle of him being available for England. Hadn't realised he'd played ODIs for Australia.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Tables after 4 matches

Division 1

Surrey 71
Essex 71
Warwickshire 55
Somerset 53
Durham 50
Worcestershire 45
Nottinghamshire 43
Hampshire 31
================
Kent 26
Lancashire 23

Division 2

Leicestershire 56
Northamptonshire 54
==================
Middlesex 53
Sussex 51 (Played 3)
Yorkshire 44
Derbyshire 41
Gloucestershire 39
Glamorgan 34

Last edited:

FBU

International Debutant
I would be surprised too. Just don't much like the principle of him being available for England. Hadn't realised he'd played ODIs for Australia.
As if we had a shortage of fast bowlers....I can think of at least 10

Molehill

International Captain
Tables after 4 matches

Division 1

Surrey 71
Essex 71
Warwickshire 55
Somerset 53
Durham 50
Worcestershire 45
Nottinghamshire 43
Hampshire 33
================
Kent 26
Lancashire 23

Division 2

Leicestershire 56
Northamptonshire 54
==================
Middlesex 53
Sussex 51
Yorkshire 44
Derbyshire 41
Gloucestershire 39
Glamorgan 34
Sussex have only played 3 in Div 2.

And yeah, that's a truly desperate article on Crapinfo, Worrall is never going to play for England.

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
It was this sentence from the last paragraph in the cricinfo report which caught my eye:
"Hampshire are winless and sit in mid-table" That's a stretch. They are 8th, 12 points behind 7th place and one place above the drop zone where both sides have a game in hand. Mid table??
A draw between Kent and Lancs next week would see Hampshire in last place.

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
Tables after 4 matches

Division 1

Surrey 71
Essex 71
Warwickshire 55
Somerset 53
Durham 50
Worcestershire 45
Nottinghamshire 43
Hampshire 33
================
Kent 26
Lancashire 23

Division 2

Leicestershire 56
Northamptonshire 54
==================
Middlesex 53
Sussex 51
Yorkshire 44
Derbyshire 41
Gloucestershire 39
Glamorgan 34
Hampshire are on 31: 2 points deducted for a slow over rate against Surrey.

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
Match Report - SUR vs HANTS 17th Match, April 26 - 29, 2024 - Surrey match-winner Dan Worrall 'ready' should England call come (espncricinfo.com) No matter how well he's bowled in county cricket, I could not think of a more unethical selection. I know there have been blokes bought up in Australia (such as Craig White, Martin McCague, Alan Mullally and the Australian born/English educated Hollioakes) but this would be a different level.
The fact that he has played ODIs for Australia differentiates him from the others you mentioned.

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
It was this sentence from the last paragraph in the cricinfo report which caught my eye:
"Hampshire are winless and sit in mid-table" That's a stretch. They are 8th, 12 points behind 7th place and one place above the drop zone where both sides have a game in hand. Mid table??
A draw between Kent and Lancs next week would see Hampshire in last place.
The table is not very meaningful at this point of the season. One win rockets a side up the table.

Chubb

International Regular
IIRC Worrall is eligible for Ireland - much better option for him if he wants to play international cricket. But this is more about $$$.

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
The table is not very meaningful at this point of the season. One win rockets a side up the table.
Agreed, but that does not improve the level of journalism that went into that report to describe Hampshire as mid table. I suspect that he totally overlooked the three remaining matches after which were drawn Surrey's victory so teams overtook Hampshire.

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
I rate Worrall and I'm surprised he hasn't played more for Aus but yeah there's no way he should be in the frame for England.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I rate Worrall and I'm surprised he hasn't played more for Aus but yeah there's no way he should be in the frame for England.
He's had a bad injury history and is most suited to tests, where our attack has been basically settled since 2017. It's possible he might have gone to England in 2019 instead of Siddle if he hadn't broken down, but even then the pecking order is very rigid so maybe not.

Last edited:

Yeoman

U19 Cricketer
Telegraph reporting that Gloucestershire Chairman has been voted out by members however I cannot divine why - whether because of financial situation, opposition to proposed move to new ground or something else.

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
The England T20 provisional squad of 15 will make a huge hole in the availability for the Blast. Interesting that everyone generally claims that the strongest counties are in the Southern Section. Yet 10 of the 15 will be missing from the Northern Section and if it is assumed that Archer hardly plays for Sussex, the only County affected in the Southern Section is Surrey who are missing four players (which will hardly dent their squad).

Molehill

International Captain
The England T20 provisional squad of 15 will make a huge hole in the availability for the Blast. Interesting that everyone generally claims that the strongest counties are in the Southern Section. Yet 10 of the 15 will be missing from the Northern Section and if it is assumed that Archer hardly plays for Sussex, the only County affected in the Southern Section is Surrey who are missing four players (which will hardly dent their squad).
You say 'huge hole', I think that only really applies to Lancs who admittedly lose 4 players who were in the majority of their games last season. But then 2 of those were nicked from other Counties so not much sympathy.

Reactions: FBU