• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2023

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Shame from your pov. 67 for 7 now, so maybe Abbott will try to give it some humpty.
I remember SCurran and Jacks both hitting 100s against Kent last season, but. without checking, this is a much stronger attack.

The live stream is a bit out of synch as the commentary is a couple of seconds ahead of the video footage.
Sean abbot just walked to the crease and last time he played kent he smashed a 36 ball ton, tbf. This game is just getting started.....

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Sean abbot just walked to the crease and last time he played kent he smashed a 36 ball ton, tbf. This game is just getting started.....
It's a lovely thought, but these guys are bowling very well. And there's next to nothing to come after these two batsmen, so this innings will probably be all over very quickly once Kent do take the 8th wicket.

EDIT
And there goes Jordan Clark. Decent ball from Evison tbf. Worrall only knows one way to bat, which is one more than Moriarty, so we'll soon find out whether Kent want to enforce the follow-on.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Wasn't expecting Durham to catch up to Glamorgan's first innings total but here we are.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Surrey are bound to end up somehow winning.

A better day at Southport but still a long way back. Felix taking 6 an absolute highlight though.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Surrey are bound to end up somehow winning.
That'll take quite something to chase down 501, even if we have made a better start to our 2nd innings than we managed first time around. Mixed feelings about Sibley in this situation. If he stays put there's less chance of us losing, but also much less chance of us winning. tbh I think I'd gladly take the draw.

A better day at Southport but still a long way back. Felix taking 6 an absolute highlight though.
You're not out of this, and I don't think Lancashire are certainties to chase down 140 on a 4th innings pitch against your attack. Obviously they're favourites, but stranger things have happened.

Last edited:

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
Louis Kimber given out obstructing the field for Leics. Pretty sure that's the first time I've ever seen that mode of dismissal in any form of cricket. But why obstructing the field and not handled ball?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Louis Kimber given out obstructing the field for Leics. Pretty sure that's the first time I've ever seen that mode of dismissal in any form of cricket. But why obstructing the field and not handled ball?
There are quite a few on youtube. They seem to all be for deliberately blocking a shy at the stumps to prevent a run-out.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
That wasn't what happened here. It looks like he used his hand to stop the ball bouncing onto his own stumps. Can't link directly to the video but it's here:

Ah fair enough. He certainly wasn't preventing a catch as he had hit the ball into the ground. I don't think the ball was bouncing onto his stumps as his body was in the way after he hit the ball, but I suppose he still handled the ball.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I thought that Hampshire were in business when they took the first two Lancashire wickets with only 5 on the board, but Lancs have recovered well since then, albeit with a bit of luck when Vince shelled a chance from Vilas. Still, a fresh start against Abbas, Abbott and Barker won't be easy.

As for Surrey, a quite brilliant 114 off 77 balls from Smith has changed the complexion of the match. But the 2nd new ball is due very early tomorrow, and, after that, Qadri will probably be a bigger threat without having to bowl at Smith. And there are reasons why we tend not to see teams chasing down 501. But it should be a good day's play. Kudos to Arshdeep; hit for 20 runs in one over by Smith at one stage but returned to slip one past the batsman's defences to bowl him. And then made a point of running 30 yards or so as Smith was heading back to the pavilion to pat him on the back for a fine innings. It made a welcome change after I've seen too many bowlers give a batsman an absolute mouthful in those circumstances.

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
Ah fair enough. He certainly wasn't preventing a catch as he had hit the ball into the ground. I don't think the ball was bouncing onto his stumps as his body was in the way after he hit the ball, but I suppose he still handled the ball.
Yes no doubt that he was out, I'm just puzzled as to why it was given as obstructing the field and not handled ball.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought that Hampshire were in business when they took the first two Lancashire wickets with only 5 on the board, but Lancs have recovered well since then, albeit with a bit of luck when Vince shelled a chance from Vilas. Still, a fresh start against Abbas, Abbott and Barker won't be easy.

As for Surrey, a quite brilliant 114 off 77 balls from Smith has changed the complexion of the match. But the 2nd new ball is due very early tomorrow, and, after that, Qadri will probably be a bigger threat without having to bowl at Smith. And there are reasons why we tend not to see teams chasing down 501. But it should be a good day's play. Kudos to Arshdeep; hit for 20 runs in one over by Smith at one stage but returned to slip one past the batsman's defences to bowl him. And then made a point of running 30 yards or so as Smith was heading back to the pavilion to pat him on the back for a fine innings. It made a welcome change after I've seen too many bowlers give a batsman an absolute mouthful in those circumstances.
Catching from Hampshire has been pretty awful all game. Another 60 runs and things could have been interesting.

Surrey are so going to do it tomorrow.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
I hadn't realised this. Apparently it's been the case since 2017. That will catch a few out on quiz nights when asked to name the now 9 modes of dismissal.

Molehill

International Captain
Yes no doubt that he was out, I'm just puzzled as to why it was given as obstructing the field and not handled ball.
Given it wasn't preventing a catch or stopping the ball hitting the stumps, seemed a pretty shallow appeal from the Glos team.

Some intriguing final days set up though around the country. A tight finish at Chesterfield, Surrey with a chance of the unthinkable in Canterbury, any result available at Hove whilst the likes of Notts and Glamorgan will be trying to bat as long as possible.

Third_Man

U19 Cricketer
Another interesting non-dismissal was at the end of Derbyshire's innings against Yorkshire.
Lakmal hit on the head so retired hurt to subsequently fail the concussion test. The test would not have been instant. Already 9 down: End of innings or was it?
Twenty minutes later, tea taken, Chappell the nominated concussion replacement was opening the bowling, so clearly was at the ground.
Why wasn't Chappell allowed to bat?

Molehill

International Captain
Another interesting non-dismissal was at the end of Derbyshire's innings against Yorkshire.
Lakmal hit on the head so retired hurt to subsequently fail the concussion test. The test would not have been instant. Already 9 down: End of innings or was it?
Twenty minutes later, tea taken, Chappell the nominated concussion replacement was opening the bowling, so clearly was at the ground.
Why wasn't Chappell allowed to bat?
I think I read that he wasn't considered a like for like replacement with regards his batting (FC average of 19 v Lakmal's 11) so therefore wasn't allowed to bat. There's some weird rules around.