• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Cricket season

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Hussey has scored 3 triple hundreds, but it is still CC, which is not the best by a long way, and Essex, Gloucestershire and Somerset are not the best attacks he could face in CC either.

They are still triple 100s, name me a current England player who has at least one? You can't? Any who have even got close? None again? Hmmmm...not so easy is it?

I still think he'd struggle to make the England side if he were English, and to add a long list of players to him that "would make any other Test side" is just arrogance.
Marc, the number of current English batsmen who average 50+ in their careers can be picked on the fingers of one hand, and I think he's the only opener in the CC with such an average. Your comment that you feel he wouldn't get in to the England side is arrogance in it's own right, because you are saying it would not happen when it is just a suggestion, because he is Australian.

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Hussey has scored 3 triple hundreds, but it is still CC, which is not the best by a long way, and Essex, Gloucestershire and Somerset are not the best attacks he could face in CC either.

I still think he'd struggle to make the England side if he were English, and to add a long list of players to him that "would make any other Test side" is just arrogance.
Marc I hate to tell you but the England top order is nothing special.

Players of his class just dont get overlooked by selectors.
Sure maybe he would do a Hick and be a flop but with a record like his it would be mad not to pick him if he were avalable.
He has out performed all the other English test batsman at county level who is to say he cant do it at International level.

And Hussey could bat anywere he has always opend in CC but he has batted at 3-6 occasionaly for WA and done well.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
lol thats probably Marc's best quote yet.

"If Hussey were English he'd struggle to make the England team"

lol lol lol

I seriously doubt the England selectors would ignore a guy who's scored 3 triple centuries ahead of other players that the selectors may be currently considering for England honours who to be quite honest have reasonably poor CC averages.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Arrogance Marc?

The fact is, is that Hussey scores runs regularly...and not just in the CC, he also has a fantastic average at Australian FC level which is regarded as the toughest in the world.

Any international side would struggle to ignore the amount of runs he scores..even the Australian selectors who must find it painful to leave someone like him out despite already having a very successful international opening pair.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
i agree with everyone besides marc.

you've been defeated marc. go home and wallow in your defeat.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I think Marc's the one being arrogant suggesting Hussey would struggle to make the England team.

Are England REALLY that well off for batsmen considering recent performances?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
So you think they would have picked Ed Smith ahead of Hussey? They would have recalled Butcher ahead of Hussey? They would have recalled Vaughan ahead of Hussey?
Hussey may have had a game, but I would certainly have Vaughan and Butcher ahead of him now, perhaps even Smith.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
Marc I hate to tell you but the England top order is nothing special.
Right, in Vaughan and Trescothick we have a very settled opening pair averaging 50 and 40.

Butcher is averaging 45+ since his recall.

That's the top 3, and with the form of Hussain and Stewart in that top 6, it's pretty strong at the moment.

Everyone says that because he's scoring runs in CC he'd automatically do it in Tests, but look at the likes of Hick, Ramprakash, Adams, Knight etc. that are always there or thereabouts in the FC averages - how well did they do?

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Right, in Vaughan and Trescothick we have a very settled opening pair averaging 50 and 40.

Butcher is averaging 45+ since his recall.

That's the top 3, and with the form of Hussain and Stewart in that top 6, it's pretty strong at the moment.

Everyone says that because he's scoring runs in CC he'd automatically do it in Tests, but look at the likes of Hick, Ramprakash, Adams, Knight etc. that are always there or thereabouts in the FC averages - how well did they do?

Adam's, Knight, Ramprakash dont avrage as high as Hussey.

As for Tresco he has only made 3 50's in his last 10 test matches at only 29.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
Au contraire. Most of us are saying that he may become a Hick after all, but he would certainly be given the chance by the selectors if he were English.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
Well I think Marc's the one being arrogant suggesting Hussey would struggle to make the England team.

Are England REALLY that well off for batsmen considering recent performances?

Listing 6 or 7 players that "would make any other Test side" isn't arrogance, yet me saying that at the moment he'd struggle to find a spot in the England team is?

He is predominantly an opener, and we're more than adequately covered there at the moment in MT and MV.

There is also the fact that he's unproven at the highest level, and the current England top order is proven.

Tres 27
Vaughan 8
Butcher 17
Hussain 20
Smith only played 1 game
Stewart 25

As a top 6 that is one of the highest rated around, which is why I can't see a vacancy.

Eclipse

International Debutant
You need a reality cheek if you really rate the England batting order that high.

For Example Vaughan would be the only batsman to have any chance of making a world XI.

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:

As a top 6 that is one of the highest rated around, which is why I can't see a vacancy.
Ohh come on what planet do you live on?? South Africa, India, West Indies, Australia all have better batting Line up's than Englands.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
Ohh come on what planet do you live on?? South Africa, India, West Indies, Australia all have better batting Line up's than Englands.
I wouldn't necessarily say that SA or WI do.

SA have a longer batting line up owing to the fact they have Pollock and Hall as 8 and 9, but on actual batsmen it's close.

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Thats PwC rating them there, not me.
What the hell are you talking about only 3 English batsman in the top 20 players.

Vaughan 8th Butcher 17th and and Hussain 20th yeah that's REALLY IMPRESIVE!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gayle v Trecothick/Vaughan
Adv: Trescothick/Vaughan

Hinds v Trecothick/Vaughan
Adv: Trescothick/Vaughan

Sarwan v Butcher
Adv: Sarwan

Lara v anyone
Adv: Lara

Hooper (he hasn't actually retired) v Hussain/Smith/Butcher
Adv: Hooper

Chanderpaul v anyone except Vaughan
Adv: Chanderpaul

Samuels v Ed Smith/Anthony McGrath
Adv: Tied

Jacobs v Stewart
Adv: Stewart

Banks v Flintoff
Adv: Banks

Dillon v Harmison
Adv: Dillon

Edwards v Kirtley
Adv: Tied

Drakes v Harmison/Anderson
Adv: Drakes (better control)

Ramnarine :) v Giles
Adv: Ramnarine

Tally: WI to Eng: 9 to 5

I'm sure I'm forgetting some people but surely Chanderpaul and Lara would stroll into the English lineup. I can only think of Vaughan who would be a sure-pick in the West Indian lineup at this time.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
What the hell are you talking about only 3 English batsman in the top 20 players.

Vaughan 8th Butcher 17th and and Hussain 20th yeah that's REALLY IMPRESIVE!
Breakdown of the top 20 batsmen in the world per PwC by Country:

Australia 5
England, South Africa 3
India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, West Indies 2
New Zealand 1

So look at it like that and it's not so bad as you make out by a long chalk.

Going down to the top 30 we get:

Australia 6
England 5
South Africa 4
India, New Zealand, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, West Indies 3

Even better.

But then again, what would they know?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, and is there any other way of separating current players?

Do averages take into account low scoring matches and high ranking opposition?

As a way of saying who should be playing, what else is there?

At the moment England's batsman's world ratings are second to Australia, so it suggests to me that we have a pretty strong line up.