• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England will win the World Cup

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Their style of play will be exposed on subcontinental conditions. As we saw with Harry Brook in IPL. England's batting is super strong but bowling is super weak. They have no genuine wicket takers outside of wokes. Unless a team gifts them wickets they have no one to take wickets by pure skills in the bowling - aka T20 bowling attack.

It's this imbalance that makes England venerable.
Adil Rashid is a genuine wicket taker, Mark Wood is a genuine wicket taker, Reece Topley is a genuine wicket taker .

Andyhere

International 12th Man
Adil Rashid is a genuine wicket taker, Mark Wood is a genuine wicket taker, Reece Topley is a genuine wicket taker .
Adil Rashid lacks consistency, Wood will leak runs and can't always get wickets with new ball and Topley was effective when he was new and everyone played him first time. He will be exposed this time around especially on subcontinental pitches.

danzydab

U19 12th Man
Adil Rashid lacks consistency, Wood will leak runs and can't always get wickets with new ball and Topley was effective when he was new and everyone played him first time. He will be exposed this time around especially on subcontinental pitches.
I wonder if it is worth it to not play Rashid to make room for Topley. Livingstone seemed to be doing the job as a leggie in the nz series.
I dont think Topley should be left out as Woakes,Curran,Wood seems like an average attack. Add Topley as a 4th seamer and it makes it much more potent.

Tom Flint

International Regular
The place currans bowling has been most effective has been the last 2 years in the ipl I thought? Different format I know. I would open with him like he does in ipl powerplay

Chin Music

State 12th Man
I wonder if it is worth it to not play Rashid to make room for Topley. Livingstone seemed to be doing the job as a leggie in the nz series.
I dont think Topley should be left out as Woakes,Curran,Wood seems like an average attack. Add Topley as a 4th seamer and it makes it much more potent.
In Asia? Sure, England haven't exactly a raft of fit for purpose spinners in any form of the game, but Rashid has to play as a minimum.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Adil Rashid is England's highest wicket taker this year with 15 odi wickets @ 25 , in England's only subcontinent series this year v Bangladesh , he took 8 wickets @ 14 ..

He's been England's No.1 spinner for nearly a decade now and the World Cup is in India ,this shouldn't be complicated.

Owzat

U19 Captain
In Asia? Sure, England haven't exactly a raft of fit for purpose spinners in any form of the game, but Rashid has to play as a minimum.
is a question of picking your (supposed in ODIs for England) best bowlers vs horses for courses, especially if the pitches are typical of the locale and as per some if not most Tests the quicks only bowl a few overs until the shine is gone and spinners reign eternal

point in case (arguably anyway), Zampa, 3 wickets @ 41.33 in India, 0/113 in one ODI a week or so ago in South Africa, do you expect aussies to exclude him on the basis of recent less than stellar outputs - although in India he did take 2/57 in one ODI.

besides anything else you could boil it down to who will end up bowling, or would you rather a frontline spinner bowl 5-10 overs or eg Livingstone, Root and any other fill-in bowlers who can do a tidy job but you're leaving it in the lap of the doGs whether they will get wickets and indeed taken the long handle to...........

Owzat

U19 Captain
you also have to factor in their value to the team overall, not just when taking wickets, or in the case of batsmen scoring runs, but other skills in the game. some of the lower orders seen recently for England are/were well below par, I never expect say 8-11 to win a game chasing 350 to win and coming in at 100/6 but unless a bowler is a real top class performer, a Warne, a McGrath, a *insert name of legend bowler*, then you have to consider a wider balance - not pick bowlers for their batting but take into account if you have say 10 similar bowlers in terms of contribution then you surely pick the ones who can bat a bit more than the others.

Say Willey and Topley are seen as similar bowling merits/output (not stating that, just names easier than bowler A and B), you will pick Willey on his batting. If Topley is deemed far more productive than Willey then comes into contention as the 10/11 and Willey then "faces off" against the next contender or bunch. Tail aren't there to make big totals, but every little (bit of batting) helps and a lower order of Carse, Ahmed, Hartley, Wood and Potts looks somewhat 'thin' - wouldn't have any higher than #9 in an ODI

Victor Ian

International Coach
That thing talking about making sure that three pitches are prepared for games. Got me wondering if this could be a thing in tests where away teams choose the pitch (would only work if the choices had differences)

chris.hinton

International Captain
We are going to win the World Cup again.... Look at our team and look at the strengths and weaknesses, We (Hopefully not) can leave out a World Class Talent like Harry Brook and the team looks mega strong with players who can take the match away with a good deal of ease.

Australia and India fans, You have good sides but nothing compared to England. We are fielding a 2nd xi against Ireland and most would get into other nations

We are well coached, Well drilled and full of talent which hasn't got to its potential yet....frightening

Well this worked out brilliantly.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular

FBU

International Debutant