• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England will win the World Cup

chris.hinton

International Captain
We are going to win the World Cup again.... Look at our team and look at the strengths and weaknesses, We (Hopefully not) can leave out a World Class Talent like Harry Brook and the team looks mega strong with players who can take the match away with a good deal of ease.

Australia and India fans, You have good sides but nothing compared to England. We are fielding a 2nd xi against Ireland and most would get into other nations

We are well coached, Well drilled and full of talent which hasn't got to its potential yet....frightening

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
We are going to win the World Cup again.... Look at our team and look at the strengths and weaknesses, We (Hopefully not) can leave out a World Class Talent like Harry Brook and the team looks mega strong with players who can take the match away with a good deal of ease.

Australia and India fans, You have good sides but nothing compared to England. We are fielding a 2nd xi against Ireland and most would get into other nations

We are well coached, Well drilled and full of talent which hasn't got to its potential yet....frightening
You have missed thinking about the number one ODI side in the world, Pakistan. It is going to be tough for the England biffers to get past the Pak pace trio.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
I think England's batting will generally go well enough, but I struggle to see the bowling adapting to the conditions. Perhaps Wood might be good for splaying a batting lineup or two but his ODI record suggests not enough. Then there are the spinners. Rashid is past his admittedly good best and Moeen is at best good for economy but barely ever wickets. That will cost England come the back end of an innings. That said, there is plenty of young batting talent who might just take up the mantle. Too bad it will be in essentially meaningless ODIs for the best part of 3 years. Yep I've picked up JAMODIs. I'm not in the loop can you tell me what the JA stands for?

Owzat

U19 Captain
I think England's batting will generally go well enough, but I struggle to see the bowling adapting to the conditions. Perhaps Wood might be good for splaying a batting lineup or two but his ODI record suggests not enough. Then there are the spinners. Rashid is past his admittedly good best and Moeen is at best good for economy but barely ever wickets. That will cost England come the back end of an innings. That said, there is plenty of young batting talent who might just take up the mantle. Too bad it will be in essentially meaningless ODIs for the best part of 3 years. Yep I've picked up JAMODIs. I'm not in the loop can you tell me what the JA stands for?
not sure but JAMODI could be Just Another Meaningless ODI

Wickets are much underrated with bowling in ODIs, people waffle on about ERs but actually I analysed a lot of ODIs for England for a while, could do an update, and no great surprise that England won a lot of the games they took 9-10 wickets in and less impressive percentages when not. Not exactly difficult to work out, you want wickets in hand to make big scores so fielding side taking wickets will make that more difficult.

Put it this way, if you have the batting side 200/6 after 35 overs you are in a better position as the chasing side, or defending side, than if 200/3 or indeed even maybe 180/3 at the same stage. No great surprise England lost the two T20Is where they got Brook out cheaply, lost the two they didn't..............

may not have been a perfect correlation but I do feintly recall the side losing the most wickets generally lost, exceptions mostly when curtailed by rain and when talking 8 vs 9 end of the wicket losses

Owzat

U19 Captain
‘Just Another’. On the wider question, I would be confident about England getting to the semi finals but anything could happen beyond that.
Are people forgetting : 2019 World Cup : Hosts England, winners England

I think the conditions may hamper England's chances, batting quick in England and other non-subcontinent countries may be less of an issue, but getting the balance right might be trickier with some not that used to batting in India let alone quickly, and as we oft see when England play Tests in India those with spin as their home wicket type tend to perform better, on top of the difficulty of balancing the bowling attack AND the balance of the overall side.

Livingstone and Root if bowling a bit aren't going to be as effective, if it does turn a bit and pace largely redundant will they resist playing quicks when the squad is a bit heavily inclined that way - Wood, Topley, Willey, Woakes, Atkinson and Curran and that rather takes up a lot of the squad given only 15 (so 40% quick, not including Stokes) Sure England have Ali and Rashid with options of Root and Livingstone, but if bowling 50 overs then with both main spinners in the side leaves 30 overs to be bowled by part-timers and quicks......

It may be the pitches are less spin-friendly than one might think, but I doubt anyone would cross BCCI by making it a home competition for India and neutering them with non-spin pitches! certainly most who hate England or favour India will be unhappy as they didn't exactly make conditions spinners paradises in 2019.....

Yeoman

U19 Vice-Captain
It is the importance of wickets that leads me to have my doubts about Ali as a 50-over bowler.

Kraken

International 12th Man

well coached by an Australian

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England won't win it. There I said it. I think we will reach the semis but don't think we will win it. If it was being played anywhere but Asia I'd say yes we would win it but not in India.

Andyhere

International 12th Man
Their style of play will be exposed on subcontinental conditions. As we saw with Harry Brook in IPL. England's batting is super strong but bowling is super weak. They have no genuine wicket takers outside of wokes. Unless a team gifts them wickets they have no one to take wickets by pure skills in the bowling - aka T20 bowling attack.

It's this imbalance that makes England venerable.