• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Tour Squad for Australia

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Cook
Root
Compton
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Taylor
Bairstow
Prior
Bresnan
Broad
Anderson
Onions
Tremlett
Finn
Swann
Panesar

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Moeen Ali? Really?

Cas against Robson is not stringing 2 seasons together so there's no way Moeen deserves anything just because he's got some runs in division 2 - was woeful in division 1 last year.
In fairness Robson did average 50 last season.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Reckon the selectors will go with Monty? Taking his wickets at 40 a piece this season and just got in trouble with the police, I can't see them picking him. Simon Kerrigan looking a much more likely option I think, especially considering he's just made the Lions squad ahead of Monty. If he bowls well in the Lions game, I'd be surprised if they go back to Monty.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Of course they'll go with Panesar. His indiscretions have nothing to do with his ability as a cricketer.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That was 2011 - averaged 30 last year which is why I said about not backing it up.
It still counts for something, though. Bairstow is **** and Root would be much better down the order so he'd slot in really nicely. Realistically the alternative is going back to Compton, so you don't have an awful lot to lose by giving him a game. Whereas if it comes off you'll have the opening slot sorted for 10+ years at the expense of Australia.

Of course they should have a look at his technique first, but since they somehow missed Bairstow playing across every straight ball I'm not sure I trust the selectors there.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Of course they'll go with Panesar. His indiscretions have nothing to do with his ability as a cricketer.
Don't they, though. He's embarrassingly unprofessional, this just takes it to a new level. Can't bat, can't field, can't run, harasses women and pisses on bouncers. Not someone you want to bring on tour, especially if he's not even likely to play.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Don't they, though. He's embarrassingly unprofessional, this just takes it to a new level. Can't bat, can't field, can't run, harasses women and pisses on bouncers. Not someone you want to bring on tour, especially if he's not even likely to play.
Not like he's taking heaps of wickets at a decent average either. He's not bowling particularly well, has acted incredibly unprofessionally, and hasn't been picked in the Lions squad. I'd suggest the selectors have been put off him, and it'll be a while until he gets picked again, especially when Kerrigan is bowling so well for Lancs.

91Jmay

International Coach
Not like he's taking heaps of wickets at a decent average either. He's not bowling particularly well, has acted incredibly unprofessionally, and hasn't been picked in the Lions squad. I'd suggest the selectors have been put off him, and it'll be a while until he gets picked again, especially when Kerrigan is bowling so well for Lancs.
He is going back to Northants apparently if he is released. That could be what his career needs.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think that's ridiculously unfair on Panesar given how hard he supposedly works on his game to be at the level he's at. He's not the greatest batsman or fielder but he's apparently worked hard to be as bad as he is, as odd as that sounds.

It's not a great look for a player but I don't think binning a player on the back of one indiscretion off the field of play is a particularly prudent move.