• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He wasn't coaxed out of retirement at all. He simply retired to avoid playing ODIs he saw as beneath him and then rocked up to the WC to steal a deserving player's spot. Cowardice.
Stupid. You don’t need to earn your spot through putting in the grind with hours, games, runs, overs or whatever. You just need to be the better player. Which he is.

That aside, Stokes retired from ODIs to manage his career, physical and mental health. It worked. He led England to success in Tests while not missing out on anything of note in ODIs. In fact his absence (and that of other first XI players from time to time) has allowed many players to have a go in the format too.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think trundy is angry that "retirement" is basically used as a leave excuse right now. I am assuming he wont have been so mad if Stokes simply said he was missing those JAMODIs to take care of his body but always said he will come back for WC.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Stokes should 100% be in our squad, as should Brook.

Hopefully our selectors will see sense and drop Roy and bring Brook in.

This would be my 11.
Bairstow
Root
Stokes
Brook
Buttler
Mo
Livingstone
Curran
Woakes
Wood
Rashid

There's good depth in the batting and plenty of bowling options.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Since the last World Cup, Moeen averages 23 (SR: 85) with the bat and 57 (Econ: 5.6) with the ball.

I'd probably still pick him in the squad as backup (although I might have given Jacks and Dawson a few more chances to change my mind) but he's been putrid and shouldn't be in the best eleven IMO. His bowling isn't adding anything that couldn't be provided by Root and Livingstone bowling slightly more, he's not making runs and he's not even providing quick cameos anymore.

I'd go with this:

Bairstow
Malan
Root
Brook
Stokes
Buttler
Livingstone
Curran
Woakes
Wood
Rashid

Extra squad members: Roy, Moeen, two spare quicks.

Owzat

U19 Captain
Yeah, it may also keep out a lesser player
Stokes pretty much won the 2019 final, did nothing in the first few T20I World Cup matches then guided England home in his last two innings, one in the final although the injury for the opposition aided that big time

Brook may well repeat his performances in all forms of cricket at the World Cup given the chance but picking a player like Stokes, as a batsman or all-rounder, who has shown he can win matches out of nowhere is sensible

Brook could take an attack apart and win England big games, Stokes HAS

Last edited:

Owzat

U19 Captain
Stokes should 100% be in our squad, as should Brook.

Hopefully our selectors will see sense and drop Roy and bring Brook in.

This would be my 11.
Bairstow
Root
Stokes
Brook
Buttler
Mo
Livingstone
Curran
Woakes
Wood
Rashid

There's good depth in the batting and plenty of bowling options.
Yeah, I find it amusing people pick on Stokes as somehow "stealing" Brook's place, not that Brook has the place to steal, when I'd suggest there are 1-2 other batsmen minimum behind Stokes in the "first on the team sheet" Stokes, I mean stakes

might not be Roy for my money though, 63 average last World Cup and he is an opener not shoved in as many do with Malan, averaged 38.33 in India last tour out there. talking of Malan, you've left him out??

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stokes pretty much won the 2019 final, did nothing in the first few T20I World Cup matches then guided England home in his last two innings, one in the final although the injury for the opposition aided that big time

Brook may well repeat his performances in all forms of cricket at the World Cup given the chance but picking a player like Stokes, as a batsman or all-rounder, who has shown he can win matches out of nowhere is sensible

Brook could take an attack apart and win England big games, Stokes HAS
Ok

Howe_zat

Audio File
Assuming Stokes is fit to bowl at least a handful of overs I would probably just make room for Brook by picking fewer bowlers

1. Bairstow
2. Roy/Malan
3. Root
4. Brook
5. Stokes
6. Buttler
7. Ali/Livingstone
8. Curran
9. Woakes/Willey
10. Rashid
11. Wood/Topley/Atkinson

I don't really want Moeen Ali batting in the top six and if Livingstone isn't going to bowl much then Brook probably adds more as a middle order bat anyway. Looking at those reserve options in the bowlers having all three of Willey, Topley and Atkinson in reserve seems completely surplus to requirements

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Assuming Stokes is fit to bowl at least a handful of overs I would probably just make room for Brook by picking fewer bowlers

1. Bairstow
2. Roy/Malan
3. Root
4. Brook
5. Stokes
6. Butller
7. Ali/Livingstone
8. Curran
9. Woakes
10. Wood
11. Rashid

I don't really want Moeen Ali batting in the top six and if Livingstone isn't going to bowl much then Brook probably adds more as a middle order bat anyway
Jarrod Kimber did an interesting pod on it recently, talking about Brook largely being a victim of us not trusting our attack and needing to pick more bowlers as a result.

He then went on to talk about the 15 man squad being antiquated and too small by a good few which I probably agree with.

Nicky

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
1. Roy
2. Bairstow
3. Root
4. Brook
5. Stokes
6. Buttler
7. Ali
8. Curran/Woakes
9. Rashid
10. Wood
11. Topley

Would be nice to have both Curran & Woakes, but that would mean getting rid of a batter...

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Yeah, I find it amusing people pick on Stokes as somehow "stealing" Brook's place, not that Brook has the place to steal, when I'd suggest there are 1-2 other batsmen minimum behind Stokes in the "first on the team sheet" Stokes, I mean stakes

might not be Roy for my money though, 63 average last World Cup and he is an opener not shoved in as many do with Malan, averaged 38.33 in India last tour out there. talking of Malan, you've left him out??
I'm a big fan of Malan and he'd be in my squad but it's either him or Root to open and I went with Root.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Jarrod Kimber did an interesting pod on it recently, talking about Brook largely being a victim of us not trusting our attack and needing to pick more bowlers as a result.

He then went on to talk about the 15 man squad being antiquated and too small by a good few which I probably agree with.
I think Kimber is probably right about Brook's non selection.

I think 15 is very tight squad wise for such a long tournament, there's 9 games before we get to semi finals.

Molehill

International Captain
Sounds like Brook is being drafted into the squad. Carse has been added too (which suggests all might not be well with the seamers?).

Malan killed the impetus provided by Bairstow last night. He may have scored more than Brook, but it's no doubt where it started going wrong. I suspect it's one or the other of these 2 now.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Sounds like Brook is being drafted into the squad. Carse has been added too (which suggests all might not be well with the seamers?).

Malan killed the impetus provided by Bairstow last night. He may have scored more than Brook, but it's no doubt where it started going wrong. I suspect it's one or the other of these 2 now.
I think Brook will make the squad judging by Mott's comments and rightly so.

Both Malan and Roy are badly out of nick so it may be whoever doesn't perform againt NZ and Ireland will miss out.

Carse has looked decent in the T20s but its less obvious who will miss out if he makes the cut.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What’s the source for this? I just listened to an interview with Mott where he said it would be a different squad for Ireland and Brook would likely feature. Is there something else?

Chin Music

State 12th Man

Both Malan and Roy are badly out of nick so it may be whoever doesn't perform againt NZ and Ireland will miss out.

Carse has looked decent in the T20s but its less obvious who will miss out if he makes the cut.
At a guess, I would think that Mark Wood might be an injury concern. He usually is. He hasn't really been all that consistent as an ODI bowler but would always be a point of difference because at least in theory he could blast 2/3 out in quick succession.

mackembhoy

International Debutant

That's not true at all is it though. In ODI cricket this year Roy averages 46 and Malan 62. T20 shouldn't really be an indicator.

Malan Roy and Brook will all be in India anyway so this is moot. One might be a travelling reserve or may all be in the squad with one less seamer in it.

I think Livingstone/Ali as the second/third spinner. Also your 6 and 7 is more concerning than our top order.

They are going under the radar cos of Brook. Brook would be in the side at 4 and Stokes at 5, if Stokes could bowl anyway. Then you wouldn't need one of Livingstone or Ali.

Last edited:

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
That's not true at all is it though. In ODI cricket this year Roy averages 46 and Malan 62.

Malan Roy and Brook will all be in India anyway so this is moot. One might be a travelling reserve or may all be in the squad with one less seamer in it.

I'm more concerned about Livingstone and Ali than anyone in the top order. Both flatter to deceive.
Yeah your pretty much forced to play both Livingstone and moeen to fill in the equivelent of one spot unless root bowls a ton.