• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I think the ideal XI would be :
Roy, Bairstow, Malan, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Livingstone, Woakes, Rashid, Atkinson/Curran, Topley
I think we'll go with something like this
Bairstow, Malan, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Livingstone, Ali, Curran, Woakes, Wood, Rashid.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh and Mark Wood does play if fit. Not sure Atkinson will make the squad, not done much to deserve it, carse gives more to the team, no matter your view on is arsiness, or not.

grecian

I think we'll go with something like this
Bairstow, Malan, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Livingstone, Ali, Curran, Woakes, Wood, Rashid.
yeah, pretty much my team too. Lots of bowling options of differing types plus bats pretty long. Topley for S curran maybe, but management just loves Sam so probably won't happen.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
yeah, pretty much my team too. Lots of bowling options of differing types plus bats pretty long. Topley for S curran maybe, but management just loves Sam so probably won't happen.
Topley being an old school number eleven probably the main thing that will keep him out of the first choice side?

grecian

Topley being an old school number eleven probably the main thing that will keep him out of the first choice side?
Yeah, but you still have Wood at 10, who as we know can belt them, not forgetting Rashid at 9 with his myriad first-class centuries, I know England Like Depth in batting, but honestly surely we can't be looking at number 11's batting as a serious consideration.

Molehill

International Captain
Controversial opinion here, but does Rashid have a guaranteed starting spot now? Why not Curran for Rashid? He is not taking wickets and we have other spin options. Last 2 ODI's we've been good without him.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Controversial opinion here, but does Rashid have a guaranteed starting spot now? Why not Curran for Rashid? He is not taking wickets and we have other spin options. Last 2 ODI's we've been good without him.
Curran averages 38 in odi cricket with the ball, and no rashid means playing moeen "I average 50+ with the ball" ali and Livingstone as your frontline spinners, in india.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
If we compare Rashid and Moeen form this year. It's quite apparent as to why we want our first choice spinner playing.

Rashid 15@25 from 7 ODI's and taken at least a wicket in every game.

Moeen has 7@42 from 8 ODI's and failed to take a wicket in 3 of them.

Suspect we shall see Moeen at 7 and Curran at 8 in a lot of games. Then Curran at 7 if we don't need 3 spin options, with Moeen potentially on drinks duty.

Last edited:

number11

State 12th Man
England look absolutely phenomenal. May not win every game but it will take something special to stop England retaining the cup.

England, India and Australia are competing for the WC. The rest are there for the numbers.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
England look absolutely phenomenal.
Tbf we were rank with the ball in the first ODI, about 30-5 in the second and we did collapse, albeit with a winning score on the board, yesterday. We’re looking in decent shape but I don’t think we’re quite the flawless outfit just yet.

number11

State 12th Man
Tbf we were rank with the ball in the first ODI, about 30-5 in the second and we did collapse, albeit with a winning score on the board, yesterday. We’re looking in decent shape but I don’t think we’re quite the flawless outfit just yet.
It's not about perfection, rather it is about x-factor, depth and tenacity. I'm very confident in England retaining.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If we compare Rashid and Moeen form this year. It's quite apparent as to why we want our first choice spinner playing.

Rashid 15@25 from 7 ODI's and taken at least a wicket in every game.

Moeen has 7@42 from 8 ODI's and failed to take a wicket in 3 of them.

Suspect we shall see Moeen at 7 and Curran at 8 in a lot of games. Then Curran at 7 if we don't need 3 spin options, with Moeen potentially on drinks duty.
It's not just been recent either. In the four and a bit years since the last World Cup Moeen has played 30 ODIs - more than any England player other than Roy - and averages 23@87 with the bat and 51@5.4 with the ball. That's a really putrid record in general and I remain surprised there hasn't been more scrutiny over his position. Dawson, Jacks and Rehan really should've been given more games in this cycle to see if they could offer something better than that.

Molehill

International Captain
It's not just been recent either. In the four and a bit years since the last World Cup Moeen has played 30 ODIs - more than any England player other than Roy - and averages 23@87 with the bat and 51@5.4 with the ball. That's a really putrid record in general and I remain surprised there hasn't been more scrutiny over his position. Dawson, Jacks and Rehan really should've been given more games in this cycle to see if they could offer something better than that.
One thing Moeen might have in his favour is his record in the IPL. His stats this year show an average, economy and strike rate almost identical to Jadeja's. They were significantly better than Theekshana's.

I think Dawson is the unlucky one of the 3 you mention. But he turns the ball the same way as Rashid and Livingstone, I think that is one reason why Moeen continues to hold down a spot.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Being the Vice Captain shields him. His IPL experience a factor too.

Nicky

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I feel Sam Curran shouldn't be part of the main XI for England. Woakes, Willey, Topley & Wood should be the main seamers.
Bairstow, Malan, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Ali, Livingstone, Woakes, Willey, Rashid, Wood/Topley