• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

Molehill

International Captain
He wasn't coaxed out of retirement at all. He simply retired to avoid playing ODIs he saw as beneath him and then rocked up to the WC to steal a deserving player's spot. Cowardice.
Surely it's more player management for a bloke with a dodgy knee? Kind of worked out quite well in the T20.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He wasn't coaxed out of retirement at all. He simply retired to avoid playing ODIs he saw as beneath him and then rocked up to the WC to steal a deserving player's spot. Cowardice.
Just nonsense, and as for deserving, this ain't kids' school. Stokes is the best player we have available to us for a tournament.

I'd have Brook in as well though

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely it's more player management for a bloke with a dodgy knee? Kind of worked out quite well in the T20.
Then he shouldn't have retired. Obviously player management is a serious thing and Stokes can't play every game but making yourself unavailable and then stealing a spot is a dick move.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Then he shouldn't have retired. Obviously player management is a serious thing and Stokes can't play every game but making yourself unavailable and then stealing a spot is a dick move.
He's not "stealing a spot" though. Brook got 3 games and averaged 30 in them. That's nowhere near enough to secure your spot in a team when brook has played SFA domestic one day cricket. Noene else has really made a claim at 4 since morgan retired.

Molehill

International Captain
Stokes has played 10 ODI's since the last World Cup. Wood has only played 8, is he also stealing a spot?

trundler

Stealing a spot from Harry Brook who's played....3 ODIs?
He's not "stealing a spot" though. Brook got 3 games and averaged 30 in them. That's nowhere near enough to secure your spot in a team when brook has played SFA domestic one day cricket. Noene else has really made a claim at 4 since morgan retired.
Not Brook's fault he was given limited opportunities but Malan has been ridiculously good and has now lost his spot. He's played mostly at 3 but that's not too different from #4 in ODIs. Or Root at 4. Stokes has barely batted at 4 and averages 34 there if we're being specific about batting positions. Malan's been shafted.
Stokes has played 10 ODI's since the last World Cup. Wood has only played 8, is he also stealing a spot?
Didn't retire. And express pacer to batting AR is not a one to one comparison, is it?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
trundler, do you actually think we shouldn’t have picked Stokes? The most clutch of clutch players?

Molehill

International Captain
Not Brook's fault he was given limited opportunities but Malan has been ridiculously good and has now lost his spot. He's played mostly at 3 but that's not too different from #4 in ODIs. Or Root at 4. Stokes has barely batted at 4 and averages 34 there if we're being specific about batting positions. Malan's been shafted.

Didn't retire. And express pacer to batting AR is not a one to one comparison, is it?
Malan hasn't been shafted by Stokes. He's competing for an opener's spot with Roy and Bairstow. He has only batted 3 when Root hasn't been available, but Root owns that spot. The position up for grabs is middle order batting at 4 or 5. Buttler could bat 4 with Stokes 5.

trundler

trundler, do you actually think we shouldn’t have picked Stokes? The most clutch of clutch players?
I wouldn't. I wouldn't have picked De Villiers in the last WC or Boycott in the early '80s either though.
Malan hasn't been shafted by Stokes. He's competing for an opener's spot with Roy and Bairstow. He has only batted 3 when Root hasn't been available, but Root owns that spot. The position up for grabs is middle order batting at 4 or 5. Buttler could bat 4 with Stokes 5.
Malan has batted a lot at 3 too including in the most recent series. The batting order hasn't been fixed and almost no one has played consistently at one spot, either at 3 or 4. Malan's done well enough at 3 to be the leading contestant for #4.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't. I wouldn't have picked De Villiers in the last WC or Boycott in the early '80s either though.

Malan has batted a lot at 3 too including in the most recent series. The batting order hasn't been fixed and almost no one has played consistently at one spot, either at 3 or 4. Malan's done well enough at 3 to be the leading contestant for #4.
Your 100% right about malan.

Burgey

I think this is where Stokes comes in. The ICC managed to create some very un-English like pitches for the last World Cup that required more than just the bish bash bosh that the top order were used to doing. I can see us getting some tired pitches by the end of this tournament that will require some real grit to force a 250 plus total.
I thought the last WC had lower scores because traditional England-style wickets were rolled out instead of roads? I may well be recalling that incorrectly though. Fair to say aside from the final I only really watched the Aus games given the time zone

Molehill

International Captain
I thought the last WC had lower scores because traditional England-style wickets were rolled out instead of roads? I may well be recalling that incorrectly though. Fair to say aside from the final I only really watched the Aus games given the time zone
The traditional English style for the previous 3 years had been roads though. The pitch for the Final in particular was a monstrosity, we all talk about how exciting it was at the end, but it had been turgid rubbish up to that point (which would be one reason not to include it in the Top 20 all time ODI's). If Williamson and Root can't get the ball off the square, something is not right.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Personally think they should drop a quick. 6 of them in the squad is overkill, particularly in India.
Yeah Kimber put out a video arguing that selecting so many quicks is really what has cost Brook a squad spot. I guess they think they'll need to rotate them a lot.