• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England test tour of Pakistan December 2022

Xuhaib

International Coach
What's happened with this England team is an anomaly. Not saying leadership can't have a big impact. But thereve been plenty of great teams that make do with merely good captains. Pakistan's bowling and selection is so problematic right now that they'd probably still suck even with a good captain (although if babar had a hand in the selections for the first test it's a different story) . I still can't wrap my head around their bowling attack for that game.
Bowling issue is very much Babar and Saqlain.
Even with Shaheen and Naseem injured we could still have fielded Abbas and Hassan not saying they would have won us a game but atleast they have succes in the past on their resume. Handling of Abbas is crimnal he is still tearing up county and local first class yet not good enough for this side.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Even with Shaheen and Naseem injured we could still have fielded Abbas and Hassan not saying they would have won us a game but atleast they have succes in the past on their resume. Handling of Abbas is crimnal he is still tearing up county and local first class yet not good enough for this side.
Was going to ask why Abbas had been discarded. Seems very strange.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
What exactly happened with Abbas? I get his wild start was unsustainable and he really can look unpenetrative tstl in the wrong conditions, but he's clearly better than these blokes.

Edit: Somehow missed Pothas asking above...

Kirkut

International Regular
Only after the ends of matches, or at least controversial ones.
They locked the site when India beat Afghanistan comfortably in 2021 T20 Word Cup, refused to believe that Afghanistan who fought hard against Pakistan got easily rolled over in the India game and came up with conspiracy theories where this was all done to get India in semis/finals.

Yes, I lurk Pakpassion for entertaining posts, my guilty pleasure.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree with the consensus that captaincy matters a lot. England deserved to win the series because they played to their strengths and backed themselves. They have a fantastically well rounded pace attack and one competent spinner so they went with that knowing that Pakistan isn't like SL where pace bowlers are a non factor. They got it to reverse beautifully and pace bowling was the biggest difference between the sides. People would've blamed the aggressive batting in the second dig if they had lost but imo riding his luck is definitely the way to go for a guy like Pope. And #intent won them the first match.

Xuhaib

International Coach
They locked the site when India beat Afghanistan comfortably in 2021 T20 Word Cup, refused to believe that Afghanistan who fought hard against Pakistan got easily rolled over in the India game and came up with conspiracy theories where this was all done to get India in semis/finals.

Yes, I lurk Pakpassion for entertaining posts, my guilty pleasure.
Well tbf India cricket Forum is equally poor you get a nice idea of an average sub cont fan on these pages.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Is there something in the water in Pakistan that makes the most ridiculous selection calls the popular consensus? I thought it was just the selectors being dumb, but the smart people at Reddit seem to think that sarfaraz for Rizwan will somehow make this side better.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is there something in the water in Pakistan that makes the most ridiculous selection calls the popular consensus? I thought it was just the selectors being dumb, but the smart people at Reddit seem to think that sarfaraz for Rizwan will somehow make this side better.
Looks like leaded petroleum was only banned in 1999. Would explain a lot.

Starfighter

The entire pace bowling strategy is a muddled mess. Yes Shaheen being out injured is a big loss. but it's not surprising considering he's played every match recently. I'm amazed it didn't happen sooner.

Naseem is not experienced enough to lead the attack, especially with his own rhythm troubles. Then there's the selection of the white ball bowlers - Rauf, and Md. Wasim in the squad. Neither have remotely the FC experience, though none was as crazy as the selection of Musa in Australia, that was beyond lunacy. Fast bowlers don't need years of experience, but they need to prove themselves. J. Richardson had only a season and a half when he debuted, but he averaged 21 and had a best of 8/47.

The 'experience' picks are also a puzzle. Ali did have a good season but has little pedigree. So what was wrong with Abbas, who also did well? Same with, as @trundler said, Hamza. Sure he's not quick but neither are Anderson and Robinson. Ali won't amount to more than a journeyman.

The tendency of the domestic pitches to be either very green or flat doesn't help, nor does the looseness of player ages, but still, they should be doing better than plucking a handful of white ball bowlers.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Current Sarfraz no but Rizwan in tests is not a patch on Sarfraz 2013-2016 he turned a decent Pak side to great during that period

Xuhaib

International Coach
The entire pace bowling strategy is a muddled mess. Yes Shaheen being out injured is a big loss. but it's not surprising considering he's played every match recently. I'm amazed it didn't happen sooner.

Naseem is not experienced enough to lead the attack, especially with his own rhythm troubles. Then there's the selection of the white ball bowlers - Rauf, and Md. Wasim in the squad. Neither have remotely the FC experience, though none was as crazy as the selection of Musa in Australia, that was beyond lunacy. Fast bowlers don't need years of experience, but they need to prove themselves. J. Richardson had only a season and a half when he debuted, but he averaged 21 and had a best of 8/47.

The 'experience' picks are also a puzzle. Ali did have a good season but has little pedigree. So what was wrong with Abbas, who also did well? Same with, as @trundler said, Hamza. Sure he's not quick but neither are Anderson and Robinson. Ali won't amount to more than a journeyman.

The tendency of the domestic pitches to be either very green or flat doesn't help, nor does the looseness of player ages, but still, they should be doing better than plucking a handful of white ball bowlers.
Its stupid that Hasnain, Harris and Waseem are not getting any red ball cricket at FC level.Hasnain has played 7 fc games in his 5 years on the circuit. The pace attack has potential to be very good but no one is bothered to make them test cricket sustainable as the fans, PCB not least the players search T 20 glory.

Starfighter

Its stupid that Hasnain, Harris and Waseem are not getting any red ball cricket at FC level.Hasnain has played 7 fc games in his 5 years on the circuit. The pace attack has potential to be very good but no one is bothered to make them test cricket sustainable as the fans, PCB not least the players search T 20 glory.
It's the same old story. You've had genuinely quick bowlers just drop out of the trees recently yet none have kicked on. The sheer incompetence when it comes to handling talent is mind-blowing, but sadly nothing new under the sun.