• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England test tour of Pakistan December 2022

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's a bit annoying because it means they'll have to win by tea tomorrow to stop the chase, so they've not really saved themselves any time. And if they win they'll be praised for it, but it's still mistimed regardless of outcome I would think.

Kinda feel vindicated about disagreeing with comments of 'nailed on draw' at tea on day 2 though. Those people can do one.

BazBall21

International Regular
Well congratulations to Trundler, an extraordinary result incoming. England have scored 1000 runs in this Test ffs.

Shady Slim

International Coach
even putting the pitch aside, that england put on 657 at 6 an over to open the test and are in a position where not winning is on the cards is
it's wow

Darwin Award

U19 Cricketer
Gilbert Jessop safe again
The amount of times this year alone it's been in danger has been quite a few..

Brook not only missed out a massive chance but to also really smash it by some margin by almost the equivalent of 2 overs or so in deliveries and make the new record much more harder to break.

Then again,given the way Stokes bats with zero f....s these days he'll probably bump it down to about 58 balls or thereabouts by the time he's done playing test cricket.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a bit annoying because it means they'll have to win by tea tomorrow to stop the chase, so they've not really saved themselves any time. And if they win they'll be praised for it, but it's still mistimed regardless of outcome I would think.
Reminds me of the Shai Hope Headingley Test where Root declared so early it meant they had less time to bowl WI out because the target was chased with time to spare.

As Daemon points out though, they're only getting ~75 overs a day here, so Pakistan will have to bat at least somewhat aggressively (though nothing like England speed) to chase this.

Bijed

International Regular
Reminds me of the Shai Hope Headingley Test where Root declared so early it meant they had less time to bowl WI out because the target was chased with time to spare.

As Daemon points out though, they're only getting ~75 overs a day here, so Pakistan will have to bat at least somewhat aggressively (though nothing like England speed) to chase this.
Yeah, very reminiscent of Headingley actually - good shout. One of those times where I don't think there was much to be lost just by sending out the tail to have a swing and try to get a few more quick runs

Howe_zat

Audio File

It seems such a basic analysis to think 'how long would they need to chase this total' instead of 'how long do we want to bowl them out' because declaration only becomes relevant when you stop trying to defend runs and start being against the clock.

As it is they will be measuring the wickets against runs and not time for the entire rest of the test, so it's a bad declaration. This seems... really simple to understand? But it'll only be talked about as a bad call if they lose.

Anyway, hopefully it doesn't matter. It normally doesn't matter very much, like every other captaincy decision, compared to how well they play.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Stokes taking the new ball instead of Anderson. OK ......

And both openers deciding to use the new ball to test out the middle of the wicket. I'm sorry, but this is probably a complete waste of the new cherry.