• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England test tour of Pakistan December 2022

BazBall21

International Regular
It was backed up when we declined an easy draw against NZ when 1-0 up in the series. Not sure why there was any doubt since.
Yeah, but this will silence any doubt. Pakistan went into this chase as clear favourites really.

BazBall21

International Regular
Not bad tactics tbf. Pakistan are woeful against the bounce and roughing the ball up will help Jimmy get reverse.

greg

International Debutant
It’s seems to me that there’s an indirect problem with this approach by England. It’s not that such an approach can’t be admired in many respects. It is that it will encourage opposing sides in future to deliberately prepare pitches like this on the basis that England will take enormous risks to try and manufacture a win, even where objectively they haven’t actually got a great chance. So opponents may basically see pitches like this as not guaranteed draw, but pitches which allow two realistic results - with England victory a large outsider. And that’s not good for test cricket as entertainment.
Or maybe not, lol.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Stuart Broad claims on Twitter that they are trying to scuff the ball as fast as possible and aim for reverse rather than conventional swing.

It's a bit of a reach but I'm prepared to put a bit of faith in it.
Yeah, that makes some sense. And taking the first two wickets with short deliveries suggests that Stokes may know more about this than I do anyway.

EDIT
Or even conventional swing may be helped if one side of the ball remains shinier than the other. But who knows anything about this game nowadays?

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
I dunno who came up with the short theory but Stokes deciding he's going to put all his eggs in it and go do it himself is just fantastic. I hope it was him because it's such good leadership if so.

slow deck

Cricket Spectator
Pakistan is one team that could really use a sports psychologist and better use of things like data. They just don't know how to play smart.

I just knew the decision to go with idiots like Hayden would cost them in the world cup. All they had to do here was time their chase right, like India did at the Gabba. As a fan I just have no faith they'll ever live up to their talent. They are on the cusp of having a really good team, with some really good talent coming through. Yet they always seem to find a way to blow it. The pitches, selectiion, everything. Sigh.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
All the reverse scoops and mad declarations in the world, but I'm not sure there's anything this test has provided that's as much aneathema to the cricket establishment as the cricinfo commentator announcing a wicket with 'ZOMG'

1670151694156.png

Last edited:

ashley bach

International Captain
Pakistan is one team that could really use a sports psychologist and better use of things like data. They just don't know how to play smart.

I just knew the decision to go with idiots like Hayden would cost them in the world cup. All they had to do here was time their chase right, like India did at the Gabba. As a fan I just have no faith they'll ever live up to their talent. They are on the cusp of having a really good team, with some really good talent coming through. Yet they always seem to find a way to blow it. The pitches, selectiion, everything. Sigh.
All is not lost just yet, and if it goes badly Azhar Ali could come in tomorrow and bat for a draw, heck they could still win from here.