• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Team for New Zealand Series

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Pretty incredible that the same batsmen that were stuck with for 5 Tests despite being consistently disappointing have all been kept on for this tour.

I know the era of mass reactionary changes of the 1980s & 1990s is deservedly ridiculed by English cricket fans, but this seems to be going too much the other way imo. The lack of change just confirms what I felt watching the Ashes that the English camp didn't give themselves a chance and almost thought it was a minor victory that they didn't get whitewashed.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty funny that Curran's out after 2 Tests on beautiful batting wickets against the best side in the world at batting on their own wickets, and still did ok, then gets dropped for a tour to NZ which is likely to be much easier for the fast bowlers.

A much lesser bowler could come in for NZ and get much better figures than Curran did and the England selectors will pat themselves on the back . . .

Blain

U19 Captain
I hope England keep picking 4 right arm medium pace bowlers for this tour, Australia made it look like fun.

Seriously though, I think this will be an interesting series. England have a point to prove, and will not be intimidated like they have been in Australia. A lot of their failures were mental IMO. Our pitches recently have looked green, swings for a session, flattens out for 2-3 days then starts to play up a bit.

I'm still afraid of Jimmy & Broad bowling 1st session day 1, Aussie basically won both tests in 2016 in these sessions. Winning the tosses would have helped.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Pretty funny that Curran's out after 2 Tests on beautiful batting wickets against the best side in the world at batting on their own wickets, and still did ok, then gets dropped for a tour to NZ which is likely to be much easier for the fast bowlers.

A much lesser bowler could come in for NZ and get much better figures than Curran did and the England selectors will pat themselves on the back . . .
He seems to have dropped just because more players who were probably always ahead of him have been considered fit though ... not in a "not good enough, let's try someone else" way. Overton was already ahead of him before getting injured and I think Wood probably would have been too if they were more sure about his ability to get through five days at the time.

Woodster

International Captain
Pretty incredible that the same batsmen that were stuck with for 5 Tests despite being consistently disappointing have all been kept on for this tour.

I know the era of mass reactionary changes of the 1980s & 1990s is deservedly ridiculed by English cricket fans, but this seems to be going too much the other way imo. The lack of change just confirms what I felt watching the Ashes that the English camp didn't give themselves a chance and almost thought it was a minor victory that they didn't get whitewashed.
I get where you're coming from here but we shouldn't make changes if they don't deem the players coming in to be any better placed to score runs. We don't have great batting options at the moment and yes you can't just throw a Daniel Lawrence in or a Joe Clarke but that's gambling on a young player that to my mind would be better served continuing their development out of Test cricket for now. Why risk damaging a young player by putting them in a side that is getting a fair bit of criticism right now, when, imo, they aren't good enough. I know young players are never the finished article when they first selected for Test cricket, I just think these guys have quite a way to go yet and a bit of patience and more Lions runs and county runs will be better for them.

At least with Vince and Stoneman they've been playing Test cricket all winter and they haven't been totally exposed, yes they've played some poor shots when they should have gone on and there are weaknesses there, but for me I'd stick with them for this New Zealand series and give them a chance against lesser opposition, and this is not overlook the quality of Boult, Southee and Wagner, but it should be easier going than facing the Aussie attack.

Groundking

International Debutant
From the squad we've picked I'd have this as the XI:

Stoneman
Cook
Livingstone
Root
Malan
Bairstow
Moeen
Woakes
Broad
Overton
Anderson

Hopefully Root actually converts this series, and Anderson goes on a massive tear, he's too good of a bowler to have a career record in NZ with and average over 30

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I appreciate Livingstone batted at first drop for Lancs last summer, but don't think that's the slot for him to make his debut at - please to see him in the squad though, and a useful leg spinning option after his 6fer at the back end of last summer

Woodster

International Captain
I appreciate Livingstone batted at first drop for Lancs last summer, but don't think that's the slot for him to make his debut at - please to see him in the squad though, and a useful leg spinning option after his 6fer at the back end of last summer
Yes I agree with this, he's a good attacking option to have in the squad but I don't envisage him starting his Test career at three, certainly don't think he should.

Spark

Global Moderator
He seems to have dropped just because more players who were probably always ahead of him have been considered fit though ... not in a "not good enough, let's try someone else" way. Overton was already ahead of him before getting injured and I think Wood probably would have been too if they were more sure about his ability to get through five days at the time.
Though IMO they wouldn't have been wrong if that this had been their rationale.

Woodster

International Captain
We have a number of youngsters that are currently not good enough at this stage but we have to pick someone, just have to make sure there is no long-term damage done to them. I think it's good for Curran and Ball in particular to get back to county cricket now and look to make a real impact for their clubs.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'd be really surprised if Tom Curran was ever good enough. There's nothing that suggests that will be the case.

Right-arm James Faulkner IMO.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
We have a number of youngsters that are currently not good enough at this stage
Would you be able to expand on this? Guys like Lawrence, Clarke, Livingstone and more established players such as Northeast, Hildreth and Rory Burns have good records. The first three aren't novices anymore which belies there age. They have both played over 40 first-class games (roughly 2 1/2 seasons) which is good experience

I understand not changing the team for NZ too much as it's basically an extended tour, but these players have to be introduced in the summer.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I've been mentioning Sam Northeast for ages on here but every time I do I get pilloried for it.

Woodster

International Captain
I'd be really surprised if Tom Curran was ever good enough. There's nothing that suggests that will be the case.

Right-arm James Faulkner IMO.
You may be right, but it's very early days and harsh to judge a player based on two Test matches when he hasn't looked completely out of his depth. He's 22 years old and been given an England debut long before he should've been due to our shortage of options, and doesn't have the skillsets necessary to be a successful bowler in Oz you wouldn't think. He has some qualities and these need harnessing away from Test cricket, I'm sure he can improve further and be a better bowler next time round if they leave him out for a while.