• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bit random but this all has me recalling how bloody useless Prior was in ODIs. That’s a lot easier to explain given the way he scored in Tests, but.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bit random but this all has me recalling how bloody useless Prior was in ODIs. That’s a lot easier to explain given the way he scored in Tests, but.
Even more random, but this reminded me how useless Michael Vaughan was in ODIs, for fairly similar reasons.

I checked his record and it's so much worse than I thought. 86 games, 1982 runs @27 with a strike rate of 68. No centuries. I was wondering how he kept getting picked then I remembered that England just didn't give a toss about ODIs back then.

Uppercut

While I'm ranting, Vaughan is such an overrated test batsman. He's used to single-handedly prop up the entire argument for picking underperforming batsmen on aesthetics, and he was just nowhere near good enough for that.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah until Vaughan retired from ODIs I don't think we ever had split captains. Even that only wound up being for a short time.

Our approach was basically play the Test team barring a few tweaks.

Flintoff in particular would have gone down as an ODI great playing for any other top-8 nation back then. Maybe he did anyway, but it was all a bit futile.

Pietersen I feel underwhelmed for us in ODIs after his initial burst. Great in T20 of course, which we got a handle on quicker than we did ODIs. Maybe he was held back by our overall limitations in the 50 over game.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
While I'm ranting, Vaughan is such an overrated test batsman. He's used to single-handedly prop up the entire argument for picking underperforming batsmen on aesthetics, and he was just nowhere near good enough for that.
I think he's mainly highly rated by Australians because of his 02-03 series over there. He was obviously a good captain but only a decent batsman all in all really, and never did reclaim that 02-03 form.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Even more random, but this reminded me how useless Michael Vaughan was in ODIs, for fairly similar reasons.

I checked his record and it's so much worse than I thought. 86 games, 1982 runs @27 with a strike rate of 68. No centuries. I was wondering how he kept getting picked then I remembered that England just didn't give a toss about ODIs back then.
Was a mix of this, him being captain for a lot of it, him sometimes not even being the worst batsman in the team despite those horrible numbers, and England selectors just refusing to believe a free-flowing and successful Test batsman could possibly be **** at ODIs even when they were trying to take the format seriously.

Averaged 46 in knockout matches too which gives him the Burgey tick. ;)

Uppercut

I think he's mainly highly rated by Australians because of his 02-03 series over there. He was obviously a good captain but only a decent batsman all in all really, and never did reclaim that 02-03 form.
Yeah he scored a lot of runs against India too, so he has the biggest fanbases covered. But yeah, no better than decent.

At this point I'll only begrudgingly admit he was a good captain given how much of a prick he is.

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
I just don't think his keeping is up to it. He's alright to pace but his keeping to spin is as bad as I've seen in tests.
Billings' keeping was woeful in the India test, although admittedly the ball was swinging a lot after it passed the bat. If we're going to pick a batsman who can keep a bit, I'll take Buttler ahead of Billings any day. Burgess looks a good prospect too. But I see no reason to ditch Foakes once he's fit again.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Still just want Bairstow to keep. Not going to happen now of course with his ridiculous form but is something he always wanted to do and didn't negatively impact on his batting.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Vaughan's batting tailed off a fair bit after he became captain. Not the only one, of course, and it may have tailed off anyway from his 2002/03 heights. I thought he was more than a good captain. Even considering the bowlers at his disposal, watching England regularly dismantle Australia's batting line-up in 2005 was a wonderful thing. Throw our only win in the Caribbean since 1968, a fine win in SA and the twin whitewashes in the summer of 2004, and he's right up there with our finest for me. Injuries muddy the waters thereafter. I've always rated him and Strauss above Illingworth and Brearley for their work with the test side.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah he was a great captain, I think the fact he's such a prick makes it hard to throw around such superlatives

I met him at a book signing in 2009, he was a miserable bastard. Went off him at that point tbh

ImpatientLime

International Regular
if memory serves he dealt in a high % of boundaries and had very limited scoring areas. mostly through cover and square. he was very easy to shut down.

it annoyed me that they kept going back to him cause he clearly didn't have the game to succeed in white ball cricket.