• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England can beat India "every day of week": Gough

Bun

Banned
How did the weak links in India's attack do in Durban? Ishant took 2/78, which is abysmal in the circumstances. Sreesanth took 4/86, which is better. However both men copped an absolute pasting at Centurion, which changes nothing - a team is only as good as its weakest link. In Ishant and Sreesanth, India have two massive weaknesses in their bowling attack.
And what did England do in Perth?

Blaze 18

Banned
And if we are going to get into the "they were just one wicket away from losing" arguments, then England were just one wicket away from losing the series in South Africa 3-1.

Bun

Banned
How did the weak links in India's attack do in Durban? Ishant took 2/78, which is abysmal in the circumstances. Sreesanth took 4/86, which is better. However both men copped an absolute pasting at Centurion, which changes nothing - a team is only as good as its weakest link. In Ishant and Sreesanth, India have two massive weaknesses in their bowling attack.
And what did England do in Perth?

Atleast Sreesanth averages better than England's second best bowler going into the Ashes ;)

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And if we are going to get into the "they were just one wicket away from losing" arguments, then England were just one wicket away from losing the series in South Africa 3-1.
Technically we were 2 wickets away from that scoreline, one in each Test.
Small difference in the fact that when South Africa were in that situation they couldn't get us out... Australia were illegitimately denied a wicket which would've won them the Test and drawn the series when they had India 9 down.

gvenkat

State Captain
The fact of the matter is England can't bat spin bowlers to save their lives. They will be eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner alive by the Indian spinners if the series were to happen in India.

If England claim they are better at fast bowling than India, Look what happened to South Africa in Durban. Any day of the week Zak, Sreesanth and Ishant are better than the English bowlers. Of Course Sree needs to get his head examined. That is a different Issue altogether.

And Darren Gough has a big mouth and he runs it like a madman. England will be beaten to pulp in India and India would be hard to beat in English conditions. Gough can put that in his pipe and smoke.

That is what I meant to say when I said England have not beaten India Since 1996 at home and 1984 away.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haha, well I suppose we'll just disagree on this point then. I don't think it's close, and I suppose you feel the same way from the other side.
You're right, it's not close. You're just picking the wrong attack.

The difference between Steyn and Anderson this year has been negligible, and over the past 3 years the difference is between a potential ATG bowler and a world class bowler. That's far smaller than the difference between Swann, a world class spinner, and Harris, a barely Test standard spinner.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Technically we were 2 wickets away from that scoreline, one in each Test.
Small difference in the fact that when South Africa were in that situation they couldn't get us out... Australia were illegitimately denied a wicket which would've won them the Test and drawn the series when they had India 9 down.
How dense van you be Markarse? Aus wouldn't have got to 9 wickets in the 1st place if it was not for 2 wrong decisions.

Jarquis

I don't buy this 'weakest link' theory. Going by that, considering Ishant Sharma and Sreesanth, India should be ranked #8. Being good vs. great in an area matters, and it can (and does) make up for other deficiencies - you can't just look at the weakest link and frankly, I don't think it's even the most important place to look,
Yeah, I think a few have been taking it a bit too literally in this thread but I don't think it is a bad indicator of a team's strength.

But yeah, you think Harris and Swann is closer than Steyn and Jimmeh, lol.

Jarquis

How dense van you be Markarse? Aus wouldn't have got to 9 wickets in the 1st place if it was not for 2 wrong decisions.
I've never disputed that ffs. Go read my post again and pay special attention to the words "when India were 9 down".

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Harris is mediocre and Swann is very good, but we are talking about Dale freaking Steyn here. Anderson is good, but there is nothing on Steyn. Nothing. Plus there are as many question marks about Anderson in unhelpful conditions as there are about Sehwag and Gambhir in unhelpful conditions.
Anderson's answering those questions in Australia. He's putting in the best series performance by a visiting quick to Australia in a long, long time.

How exactly is the difference between excellent and very good greater than the difference between very good and mediocre?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You're right, it's not close. You're just picking the wrong attack.

The difference between Steyn and Anderson this year has been negligible, and over the past 3 years the difference is between a potential ATG bowler and a world class bowler. That's far smaller than the difference between Swann, a world class spinner, and Harris, a barely Test standard spinner.
Anderson has had a great year, but you're asking who I'd pick overall. Steyn can bowl anyone out, anywhere. If conditions are right, and suit Anderson, the difference is smaller. But that's not what we're asking. I don't see it as remotely close. Harris isn't being asked to, and isn't being set the same fields as Swann. Much of that is due to quality but not all of it. He has done just fine this series for example, and done pretty much what they asked him to do.

Jarquis

Harris is mediocre and Swann is very good, but we are talking about Dale freaking Steyn here. Anderson is good, but he is nothing on Steyn. Nothing. Plus there are as many question marks about Anderson in unhelpful conditions as there are about Sehwag and Gambhir in unhelpful conditions.
Steyn's incredible and Jimmeh is pretty damn awesome himself but we're talking about the world's best spinner here. Harris is serviceable but he's nothing on Swann. Nothing. Plus there are as many question marks over Harris at playing cricket as there are over Ishant Sharma.