• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England (and Wales) gloom, doom and recriminations thread

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
"kept around in the absence of any convincing alternatives"

One feels this could describe the majority of England's batters tbh

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Today was pretty much what I expected. We blew it when we had the best of the conditions during both teams first innings but needed a hit from Woakes to get a half decent lead. We currently don’t have many Test quality cricketers, but that’s not the fault of those selected.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
India really started to make the ball talk tbf to them. All the chat about how flat the pitch was looked silly when Bumrah and Thardul started getting them through off the surface. None of our fast mediums could do that for whatever reason, apart from Woakes in a couple of spells. Jadeja a huge upgrade on Moeen too, obviously. I think the decision at the toss was huge, giving away the best time to bat on this pitch, but ultimately we couldn't be as ruthless with the bat or as penetrative with ball. Not much else to say.

I said at the time that getting Moeen in based on Hundred form was a fool's errand and that's proven true. I get he was picked as the only viable allrounder, but he's not a Test player and hasn't been for years. Slotting him in here and there isn't fair on him or us, just be honest with him and tell him you're moving on. It's a shame because he's so likeable, but nobody benefits from the way England have treated him.

It's pretty clear Jimmy and Robinson both need a rest, right? And Leach should always play, he just has to be fit into the lineup somehow. Not like he's a genuine 11, either, I think he's a hugely undervalued player and a significant upgrade on current-day Mo in the spin department.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Today was pretty much what I expected. We blew it when we had the best of the conditions during both teams first innings but needed a hit from Woakes to get a half decent lead. We currently don’t have many Test quality cricketers, but that’s not the fault of those selected.
Not really a priority, is it. As for today, I didn't think we'd win but I thought the last nine wickets might add a bit more than 110 after the openers put on a hundred. Crazy optimist that I am.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
God yeah I didn't even get round to Bairstow.

What else is there to say about some of the proven failures of this generation? It's depressing we have to keep going back to them. Unfortunately he gets in the team as the wk considering the current situation.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, games like this one in particular. His bowling was always a breaker in spells like we were having yesterday and Saturday. And obviously he goes okay in a chase.,..
Yes Stokes is a legend in Tests with bat and ball - always will lift the team up a level.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
I think everyone agrees that the greatest danger after [1] defeats in a row is to underreact, so what XI do we need to field next match?

Burns scored a nice 50 but can't catch so he's out. Hameed can't score after reaching 40, which is A Problem, so that's two new openers we need. We can't tolerate a run out when batting to save a Test so there's Malan gone. Root on thin ice after failing to ton up for multiple innings in a row; he just about keeps his spot but best take the captaincy off him for choosing to bowl first at the Oval. Everyone wants Pope to be great already, but he isn't yet and it makes people sad. Much easier and more satisfying to scapegoat an older county pro with past international failures already on their resumé, so we'll recall one of those. Speaking of, Johnny Bairstow seems a good scapegoat today, so let's give him the axe. Our best spin option is whoever isn't playing and currently that's Leach. Robinson looked a bit tired so best rest him and Anderson is now only outrageously brilliant in one innings per match so must be Time To Move On.

I suppose that leaves us with no choice but to play

1 Alex Davies
2 Tom Abell
3 Harry Brook/Sam Hain
4 Root
5 Gary Ballance
6 Darren Stevens
7 Ben Foakes + (irrespective of fitness)
8 Chris Woakes *
9 Brydon Carse
10 Sam Cook
11 Jack Leach

Jack1

International Debutant
I think everyone agrees that the greatest danger after [1] defeats in a row is to underreact, so what XI do we need to field next match?

Burns scored a nice 50 but can't catch so he's out. Hameed can't score after reaching 40, which is A Problem, so that's two new openers we need. We can't tolerate a run out when batting to save a Test so there's Malan gone. Root on thin ice after failing to ton up for multiple innings in a row; he just about keeps his spot but best take the captaincy off him for choosing to bowl first at the Oval. Everyone wants Pope to be great already, but he isn't yet and it makes people sad. Much easier and more satisfying to scapegoat an older county pro with past international failures already on their resumé, so we'll recall one of those. Speaking of, Johnny Bairstow seems a good scapegoat today, so let's give him the axe. Our best spin option is whoever isn't playing and currently that's Leach. Robinson looked a bit tired so best rest him and Anderson is now only outrageously brilliant in one innings per match so must be Time To Move On.

I suppose that leaves us with no choice but to play

1 Alex Davies
2 Tom Abell
3 Harry Brook/Sam Hain
4 Root
5 Gary Ballance
6 Darren Stevens
7 Ben Foakes + (irrespective of fitness)
8 Chris Woakes *
9 Brydon Carse
10 Sam Cook
11 Jack Leach
I see you have removed Root’s first name, as well as the captaincy, from him