• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Eden Gardens loses India-England fixture

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I think they should shift this match to DY Patil Cricket stadium near Mumbai ,tbh.

Is a absolutely fantastic Facility .Been there and facility wise and technology wise is the best cricket ground in the country.

But the BCCI won't use it as it is privately owned. Only Modi had the sense to use it for the IPL and rightly so.
Do you stay nearby, Cevno?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
BCCI has requested ICC to reconsider its decision to shift the Ind-Eng match from Eden Gardens. Now, it'll be interesting to see ICC's reaction to BCCI's "request".

Chehtha

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Eden Gardens is pretty much the home of cricket in India, and its just a shame that the politics and greed within the BCCI has resulted in such a historical cricket stadium and the cricket crazy people of Kolkatta getting humiliated like that, just imagine something like this happening to MCG, Lord's or to Wanderers, the organisers there would have had hell to pay, but the BCCI officials would just move on as if nothing has happened.
Exactly my thoughts

jeevan

International 12th Man
Harsh as it sounds, Indian sports bodies need a slap in the face so that they break out of their bad habits. Too bad it is Eden Gardens, and the cricket WC - but a systemic problem of this magnitude needs a prominent epic fail to hold up as an example to all others to come.

Hopefully this will be their pawn-your-gold moment.(Reference to the early 90s when the Indian economy basically came to its knees and the bullion reserve had to be used as collateral for new borrowing. Without that the economic reforms that followed would've been put off for many more years or decades).

Blaze 18

Banned
Harsh as it sounds, Indian sports bodies need a slap in the face so that they break out of their bad habits. Too bad it is Eden Gardens, and the cricket WC - but a systemic problem of this magnitude needs a prominent epic fail to hold up as an example to all others to come.

Hopefully this will be their pawn-your-gold moment.(Reference to the early 90s when the Indian economy basically came to its knees and the bullion reserve had to be used as collateral for new borrowing. Without that the economic reforms that followed would've been put off for many more years or decades).
Agreed.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The Wankhede has been approved though and so have the 3 Srilankan grounds that were up for review.

Bangalore is likely to be the alternate venue for the India - England game most likely.

As it turns out Wankhede has been also approved because the matches there begin on 13th of march and not in February.
Ah damn.. should have given it to Chennai.. Fixture should have stayed on the East Coast :(

biased indian

International Coach
Chennai is east coast ? :laugh:)

From what I hear anything outside of 4southern states is considered North India. ;)
think it coming to south india :) bangalore is what BCCI has put as an alternative i think..and bangalore deserve a a good game anyway

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Chennai is east coast ? :laugh:)

From what I hear anything outside of 4southern states is considered North India. ;)
Chennai IS east coast :)

and :laugh: @ the second part of your post.. That sentiment is shared by some of my friends from North India. :ph34r:

Angi

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It's just a change of venue right.....from Eden to Chinnaswamy, hardly something major.

Probably, those 80,000 crazy fans of Kolkata are not going to mind. Yes, they might have been planning to and looking forward to the fixture for over a year now, but they won't mind.

Nor will those cricket-lovers who thought they had the right sense to avoid the rush and buy the tickets early. Or the tourists who had probably already planned their flights/stays in Kolkata.

The BCCI and the CAB will probably be able to subdue those 80,000 fans with the other SA Vs Netherlands or those Irelands vs Netherlands. Oh wait, now they're saying, even those won't be held.

This is criminal. And yes, I know I might be sound way too concerned about this. But I speak on behalf of all those who wanted to experience the magic which Eden was supposed to produce on 27th Feb.

I guess, most of this generation will never be able to witness a WC game at Eden, ever again.