• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ECB presents 100-ball domestic game for men and women

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Praveen Kumar dominated in a Test Series in England bowling in that speed range. Most spinners bowl slower than 125 kmph too.

Not saying I definitely think it will happen, it most likely never will, just that theoretically it should be possible.
Australia's latest debutant "fast" bowler averages around that speed.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Praveen Kumar dominated in a Test Series in England bowling in that speed range. Most spinners bowl slower than 125 kmph too.

Not saying I definitely think it will happen, it most likely never will, just that theoretically it should be possible.
“Dominated”.

Niall

International Coach
https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/43854924

"What we're trying to do is appeal to a new audience, people that aren't traditional cricket fans," said Strauss.

"We want to make the game as simple as possible for them to understand."
Where to begin here? Obviously women and children at cricket is something to strive for, but dumbing it down and admitting it is not the best idea.

It's patronising also towards the women who follow the game and spend money on it. I look at the bash and the IPL and neither seem to struggle to attract casual fans whatsoever, why all this bollocks in England?

Daemon

The aim is to make the format unappealing to the existing fans, which creates a vacuum that the unitiated get sucked into. Flawless logic.

_Ed_

The 10-ball over could be horrendously demoralising for bowlers. Imagine bowling six or seven perfect deliveries, just giving up singles, and then going for two sixes and a four to make it a 20-run over.

Borges

International Regular
They should let the bowling side decide when to bowl that ten ball over.
For instance, if D'Arcy Short and Kieron Pollard are at the crease, ask a spinner to bowl and designate that over as the ECB over.

Burgey

The 10-ball over could be horrendously demoralising for bowlers. Imagine bowling six or seven perfect deliveries, just giving up singles, and then going for two sixes and a four to make it a 20-run over.
Which is the same as a standard six ball over going for 12. In the context of the last over of a T20 that isn't terrible.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/43854924

Where to begin here? Obviously women and children at cricket is something to strive for, but dumbing it down and admitting it is not the best idea.

It's patronising also towards the women who follow the game and spend money on it. I look at the bash and the IPL and neither seem to struggle to attract casual fans whatsoever, why all this bollocks in England?
Yip, women and children are too thick to understand twenty six-ball overs (or for that matter red-ball/50o cricket) is what Strauss is saying. They need some ''special'' version of the game to appeal to their lower intellects - it is like something out of the 19th century.

TheJediBrah

Yip, women and children are too thick to understand twenty six-ball overs (or for that matter red-ball/50o cricket) is what Strauss is saying. They need some ''special'' version of the game to appeal to their lower intellects - it is like something out of the 19th century.
Yeah I take serious offense to that

Implying that young male children are as dumb as women is unacceptable

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
You could argue that (I think I have this correctly?) 15 6-ball overs and 1 10-ball over is more complicated than merely 20 6-ball overs. It is not as if you need to know what 20x6 is when watching Twenty20!

It seems they are obsessed with ''100 balls'' and are trying to fit everything into that concept.

Strauss is obsessed with the metric system.

Victor Ian

International Coach
As soon as someone there realises that a 10 ball over means you have to wait maybe 7 minutes for the last add break instead of 4 they will shelve the idea.

cnerd123

likes this
Yeah I take serious offense to that

Implying that young male children are as dumb as women is unacceptable
Did you know that in the 15 year history of the World Quizzing Championship, only one woman, Dorjana Širola, has ever finished in the top 10, and she has never been in the top 5.

Borges

International Regular
Strauss is obsessed with the metric system.
Half measures are bad; he should have gone whole hog and pumped for ten ten ball overs; nothing can get more metric than that.
Ideally with eleven teams, each having ten players, playing each other in a round robin. The entire tournament would consist of one kilo over (ie. ten kilo balls).

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There is something I find quite insulting about Strauss saying that overs somehow too complex and in need of further simplification. They're one of the simplest concepts in cricket IMO. A yet he proposes something that is more complex. These people really have no self awareness at all.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know why people are trying to find logic in this.... it's a gimmick, that may or may not work to make some extra money for the ECB. What sad is they won't just say that and keep trying to rationalize this nonsense.