• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ECB presents 100-ball domestic game for men and women

Howe_zat

Audio File
None of us are the audience for this, so why should they give a toss what we think?

The only thing I'm a bit perplexed by is who exactly the audience is supposed to be.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The problem with this kind of experiment is that doesn't really attract any kind of new audience. In fact, it'll probably only serve to alienate the dwindling existing audience.

It's a strange phenomenon with cricket administrators. They seem to have so little faith in the game that they grew up loving.

It's just stupid to think Cricket is some overly complex sport that no one can understand in its current format. I work with kids part time. It's seriously simple.

IMO there's a fairly easy recipe to grow the popularity of Cricket. Feel free to correct me as I'm not actually English though

1. Put Cricket on FTA - Sacrifice short term moneys for long term exposure

2. Build a strong and healthy national team

3. Stop going to war with the counties and instead, cooperate with them

cnerd123

likes this
It'd help if you explained why.
To start with, this tournament already has bad PR because by saying they're marketing a 'simplified' version of cricket to 'women and kids', you are implying that it's only men who are capable of understanding and appreciating the complexity of 'proper' cricket. As tho women and kids are too dumb for it. If this goes underway, expect a lot of the recreational outrage crowd to pick on this

Secondly, this tournament is not a gateway to proper cricket. You can see how T20 leads to Fifty Over and Test matches because it's the same basic game just shorter. This is functionally different. If someone wraps their head around this (because it's not actually easier), and decides they way to watch the mainstream versions, you're going to want them to learn a new ruleset again? You're going to explain to them that actual cricket has 6 ball overs, and you can't bowl back to back overs no matter what?

Thirdly, if a regular T20 tournament fails, no big deal. If you invent a whole new ruleset, and still fail? It makes the leadership of cricket look like a mess. You don't trust your sport as it is, and you try to 'improve' it, and you still fail?

Gimmicks are fine but not all gimmicks are harmless.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To start with, this tournament already has bad PR because by saying they're marketing a 'simplified' version of cricket to 'women and kids', you are implying that it's only men who are capable of understanding and appreciating the complexity of 'proper' cricket. As tho women and kids are too dumb for it. If this goes underway, expect a lot of the recreational outrage crowd to pick on this

Secondly, this tournament is not a gateway to proper cricket. You can see how T20 leads to Fifty Over and Test matches because it's the same basic game just shorter. This is functionally different. If someone wraps their head around this (because it's not actually easier), and decides they way to watch the mainstream versions, you're going to want them to learn a new ruleset again? You're going to explain to them that actual cricket has 6 ball overs, and you can't bowl back to back overs no matter what?

Thirdly, if a regular T20 tournament fails, no big deal. If you invent a whole new ruleset, and still fail? It makes the leadership of cricket look like a mess. You don't trust your sport as it is, and you try to 'improve' it, and you still fail?

Gimmicks are fine but not all gimmicks are harmless.
Well the PR thing is on Strauss and not the format itself but I get what you're saying about the different rules.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The ECB will also piss away billions of money, money derived from the profits of English cricket, on something which is basically doomed to fail, such is the backclash from fans and players alike, when the money could be given to the preexisting structure/grass roots.

Unless this mythical ''new'' audience of, hitherto cricket-haters, suddenly becomes enamoured with the thing?

The ECB are probably launching the first sporting competition aimed at people who hate the sport!

Borges

International Regular
These guys are deliberately leaking out stuff at well-timed intervals to stoke the fire when the debate among the crowd that is not interested in it is about to die a natural death.
The marketing wizards do realise that best way to attract the attention of a new target audience for cricket is to whip up a frenzy among the existing audience so that their cacophony becomes louder and more widely heard.

Daemon

Not untrue. I will certainly pay more attention to this in the hopes of loling at it as a failure than if it was just another T20 competition.

ajdude

International Coach
Haha I'd almost like to see them go the other way given how much of a gimmick this is and make the maximum overs two instead.
this idea wouldn’t work in terms of time saving (mainly regarding changing fields) but i wouldn’t mind seeing it go completely bonkers and just have 5 changes of end per innings, with the captain being able to choose anybody to deliver any given delivery, thereby removing the overs concept entirely haha

S.Kennedy

You really think they've got Billions?
Well, I'm exaggerating. I read a few years' ago that they've about 90 million ''in case the Queen dies during the cricket season, and they have to cancel fixtures''. Much of it is stuffed away in the UAE to evade tax.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Well, I'm exaggerating. I read a few years' ago that they've about 90 million ''in case the Queen dies during the cricket season, and they have to cancel fixtures''. Much of it is stuffed away in the UAE to evade tax.
Long live King Chuck (not a finger spinner as far as I know).

S.Kennedy

What happened was the players, (PCA) players' cricket association, revolted over the ten ball over. The players basically said, ''we are not going to play this competition'', and there won't be much cricket without the players. There was this big media silence whilst these arguments were going on, and the ECB were re-thinking.

And this is what they've come up with!

Borges

International Regular
The players basically said, ''we are not going to play this competition'', and there won't be much cricket without the players.
They should just scrap the low quality division 2 county cricket being played by losers like Burham (or is it Durham?).
A lot of players then would then have no option other than to play this new stuff; not many of them are then going to carry on with saying:
''we are not going to play this competition'' etc.

S.Kennedy

They should just scrap the low quality division 2 county cricket being played by losers like Burham (or is it Durham?).
A lot of players then would then have no option other than to play this new stuff; not many of them are then going to carry on with saying:
Poor Trolling. Try again next time.

(Although it might interest you to know there is a proposal to ditch the two divisions, replacing them with a conference system: https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics...unty_cricket_ready_for_conference_season.html)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That’s down to £28m cash as at the end of March and they’ve made losses of £37m in 2017 and £30m in 2018.

TheJediBrah

Imagining living in a place called "Durham"