• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Early Ashes Predictions

Who, at this early stage, do you think will win the Ashes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grant28

School Boy/Girl Captain
Your early Ashes predictions please!

I haven't voted yet, I'm going to take a while to think...

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Voting now without knowing what the fitness level of the respective fast bowling lineups will be is a no brainer....Aus to win easily.

but anything can happen and all results are possible.

So Aus should win say 3-0, 3-1, 2-1 something like that. What needs to happen to reverse that??

:)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Australia 4-0

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

I said 5-0 in the 2005 Ashes, and was woefully incorrect (and pleasantly surprised)
I said 5-0 in the 2006/07 Ashes and was correct.

But I don't think it'll be 5-0 this time ;)

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Was thinking that maybe England may need to search thru Victoria's second XI to find some fast bowlers for the series, to follow in the illustrious footsteps of Mullaly and McCague.
So for the England selectors here's a list in ranking order of Victoria's Pacemen:

1. Siddle
2. Nannes
3. McKay
4. Harwood
5. Wright
6. McDonald
7. Hastings
8. Gilmour
9. Pattinson's Little Brother
10. Pattinson

And this is not based on my opinion either. It is based on selections made this season.

However while I understand this list may not go deep enough to satisfy England's selection requirements, I have not been following Grade Cricket closely enough to be of further asssistance.

cheers

Craig

World Traveller
Australia 5-0, there I said it. After getting humbled by South Africa at home, they have destoryed a bunch of imposters in South Africa, who's absence is quite odd and England's lack of ability to bowl out the West Indies twice on a few occasions to be able to win a Tests has been alarming, and I don't see their bowling attack up to it to grab twenty wickets in every Test.

That said injuries do happen, and Australia's fast bowlers are dropping like fly's and we have a bunch of random's being called up for the Test and ODI XI's ATM, and it is the Ashes, and if your an English cricketer and not going to be motivated to play at your best and knock off Australia, then when will you?

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
3-1.

First match England will dominate and then find a way of drawing the match.

Australia will then dominate the next 3 Tests, winning them all.

Then England will win in a deadrubber.

inbox24

International Debutant
Depends what the pitches and conditions are like in England. I'm assuming they're really good for all types of swing bowling right? What about the actual pitch? I'm assuming it's soft so there won't be dramatic bounce or carry right? So what is the implication of all this?

Hopefully Troy Cooley can work his magic with our crew.

The best way England can go about this is if they produce dead pitches with nothing for the bowlers and just try to break our guys with imposing totals.

Debris

International 12th Man
I am just waiting for Siddle to say that Australia are trying to win 5-0 and that he will be targetting Pietersen in the series.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Well, it's so hard to pick. Injuries, pitch conditions, rain etc all play a factor, but at the moment I will say 3-1. I reckon I will be able to make a more in depth guess in the week or even month leading up to the series.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Lords'll be a draw, last time there was a result there was when McGrath had that spell of pure brilliance in the 1st innings, destroying the England top-order with some fantastic seam bowling, and I don't think any of the Australian bowlers are capable of a spell as good as that, and England certainly won't bowl Australia out for 190 this time. So that'll be a draw.

So that leaves it to 4 Tests, one of which will almost certainly be rain affected leading to another draw. I can see England winning at Headingley and possibly at The Oval as well, so I see a 2-1 win for England.

ozone

First Class Debutant
Lords'll be a draw, last time there was a result there was when McGrath had that spell of pure brilliance in the 1st innings, destroying the England top-order with some fantastic seam bowling, and I don't think any of the Australian bowlers are capable of a spell as good as that, and England certainly won't bowl Australia out for 190 this time. So that'll be a draw.

So that leaves it to 4 Tests, one of which will almost certainly be rain affected leading to another draw. I can see England winning at Headingley and possibly at The Oval as well, so I see a 2-1 win for England.
Not too far off what I think TBH. First test will be a draw, weather in Wales will see to that. Also backing the second test at Lords to be a draw, unless someone does something special, and ATM, only one person on either side (Johnson) looks capable of doing so. Would also predict a draw in the final test at the Oval, particularly if England are level or one up going into the game. However, even if Australia are leading, the Oval pitch is usually fairly flat, so may produce a draw anyway. I would always back England to win at Headingly, but can see us losing at Edgbastan. Overall, I reckon the result will be a 1-1 draw.

BTW, anyone predicting 5-0 to either side has obviously never been to Cardiff.